Video Enhance AI v2.2.0

Sad to report that the latest gaming drivers don’t work (like the one before it) and if you need to use VEAI, you need to use the studio drivers.

Before anyone suggests "tHeN gO aheAD aNd InStaLL“ the studio drivers, please not that this solution is not “pratcial” for those of us who use it more for gaming than Topaz products.

The gaming drivers used to still work properly. I think this needs to be communicated with Nvidia and fixed.

People want to keep resizebar for some reason. But with the studio driver, I can still enable resizebar anyway. People just want the higher version number instead of the goal they want to achieve.

Studio drivers work just fine for gaming, or so I’ve been led to believe.

1 Like

Do you mind sharing your QTGMC settings? I use it with Staxrip but not sure which settings I should use to get the best quality. I understand the source itself is a factor but is there a general setting I can use? Thanks

I’m slooowly getting to grips with QTGMC for DVDs & VHS captures (although with Vapoursynth, as I’m a Mac user) - I’d love to know a bit more about your repair scripts.

They work to an extent. However, gaming drivers contain optimizations for the newest games. For example, I need to latest gaming driver in order to play Metro Exodus Enhanced edition which was just released yesterday. If I install the studio driver instead, I will suffer a degradation in performance.

Ah, different optimizations for games vs. specialized AI rendering applications. I think we’ve hit the nail on the head.

I believe the gaming drivers stopped working with topaz products after they began to support REBAR. It would be nice to address this so you are not forced to decide against one or the other.

1 Like

speed reduction for Gaia models by 30%. other models
the speed has hardly changed.
studio driver latest 462.31.
GPU TITAN RTX.

That’s bad news. I’ll have to test it on my RTX 2070-S.

Thank you for taking the time to write this. Well said!

Artemis and Dione had probably reached their optimum quality a couple of VEAI versions ago, so I totally agree about holding off further updates for now.

Happy to hear about your new development goals. Looking forward to the results.

Edit: I have a question for a developer or beta tester: does the ‘Robust’ de-interlacing model use Artemis as a base? If so, which one? I often find ‘Robust’ and ‘Robust Dehalo’ provide better results in NON-interlaced content whilst retaining native frame rate. Also, the new model selection dialog is horrific.

I just haven’t had time to test this beta, but, it sounds like on your system, OpenVINO or Open Neural Network Exchange is not working on hardware for version 2.2.0, and it’s throwing back to software CPU processing on Open Neural Network Exchange.

CPU usage is minimal. GPU is ~80% usage, which is normal.

To troubleshoot this, you’ll need to install version 2.2.0 again, then, processes something, then, post your log files: “Help” → “File Logging” → “Open Log Folder”. You can zip them up and upload them to ZippyShare.

The fix I appear to have found is to uninstall 2.2.x, re-install 2.1.x, uninstall 2.1.x, then re-install 2.2.x - this has actually slightly decreased frames per second time on my test video to 0.6 SecPerFra.

One thing that might make a difference… before (re)installing version 2.2.0, update your Nvidia drivers to the latest Studio drivers, if you don’t have the latest (04/14/2021).

Tried Studio drivers and that made absolutely no difference. Reverted to latest GeForce drivers (or whatever Nvidia brands them as now).

Thank you for taking the time to reply, and for offering useful suggestions. Compared to Topaz’s official support, community support is a 10/10 (with Topaz being a -1).

Additional note: for those using AviSynth or VapourSynth w/ DGIndex, D2VWitch, ffmpeg, FFmpeg, or many filters such as TIVTC, IVTC (simple decimation), f3kdb, mClean, TemporalDenoise(2), vinverse, QTGMC, nedi3, and so many others, I strongly suggest using the Staxrip GUI (it’s FOSS). It allows you to load in AVS scripts, drag video straight in for processing, but also so much more.

I spent over 15 years manually creating scripts, but have moved to Staxrip as it massively simplifies the workflow. It’s the best actively-developed GUI out there with some very powerful tools and a massive collection of filters and plugins included in the distribution - you can also add your own. Here’s an example of the interface.

The previous part is the best (it’s more robust than Avi/VapourSynth, and the audio processing is awesome. For those complaining about VEAI’s atrocious audio handling, load your source into Staxrip and easily select from one of the included codecs, such as AC3, E-AC3, AAC (LC & SRB), Opus/Vorbis, FLAC, and any audio accepted by ffmpeg, eac3to, qaac, and fdkaac (executable for fdk not included due to the licence, but can easily be dropped into the application). It’s also suitable for novices and people like me who have been working with video since I was in my early teens.

It’s the opposite of Handbrake, in that it actually works and provides useful options (I really loathe Handbrake).

Anyway, ramble over - hope it helped someone!

It may make it more stable, but it doesn’t actually make VEAI USE the card as it should.

Can you pls fix the “Theia Fine Tune Detail and Fidelity” Models?
Because these are my favorite Models that i use… but it dont work anymore with my RTX 3090… when i use my CPU then it works but its super slow…

Yes, something is very wrong. I can even see the .mov.mp4 double extension when it shows the output directory on the bottom of the screen. I hope they’ll fix this asap.

Sadly not in my case, reducing system load reduced the speed by ~50%, and GPU power usage is 50% lower as well.

Not sure what is the real bottleneck, but I got a “beefy enough” system

Chiming in here: The Nvidia Drivers for Gaming and Studio are actually identical. Only difference is that the install application has a customization option that will allow the gamer stuff to be installed or not. If you aren’t a gamer, leaving the option off will just keep your Studio install cleaner.

1 Like

Post your CPU, GPU, and SSD here. I will try to figure out what is happening.

How so?