Video Enhance AI v2.1.1

Hello, I noticed that the Artemis models medium and low version 12 are slower than the version 11. Before I was at 0.23-0.25 seconds per frame. With v12, I am at 0.31 seconds per frame. This is not normal.

That sounds like the font issue that a few others have reported.

thank you lee.do you have any idea how to resolve that? please

If I start from CMD with -m aaa-9 it shows the right name in the GUI, but it does not use that model for processing, because I got a soft image and I think it uses the default settings instead ?!
If I start the process from GUI the model is the right artemis aaa-9

I’m still finding that 2.1 has the same ghosting effect on interlaced footage (no matter what Dione I use). I don’t get this ghosting of fields when I de-interlace with other software (I use Handbrake with ‘bob’ to double the frame rate) and then upscale with Artemis. But I think the Dione looks better on interlaced footage if it could just sort out these ghosting fields.
Is this a known problem and is there anything I can do to eliminate the ghosting?

I want to upscale my HVD files which were shot on a SONY FX1 fifiteen years ago.

The source file is a 1440x1080i50 HDV file. The destination should be a sharper and upscaled 3840x2160 version.

Encoding with DDV-2 (50p) results in a flickering background. You can see the leeve borders switching from dark to a kind of halo each frame.

Encoding with DTD-3 (25p) is too jerky and the borders of the leeves are mostly dark. Nevertheless, 25p will not get good results.

The source file was then deinterlaced with ffmpeg to 50p (HEVC) using the bwdif method (field, top, all frames). This file does not show any flickering if you check the single frames step by step

The 50p file was now encoded with ghq-5 and ahq-11 (i also tried ahq-10 and Theia from which none create better results)

Both results do seem not as sharp and good as the DDV-2 version despite of the flickering. You can see this if you look at the hat, the beard and also the big black ring at the chest of the man. DDV-2 does seem to create significantly more details than any other method.

So i simply tried to upscale the 50p file using DDV-2, which in fact creates the result i want, but it of course doubles the frames again resulting in a 100fps file, which then needs to be re-encoded again to get 50p. This is a step too much.

I then took the DDV-2 model data and changed the configuration (JSON) to progressive using a new type called DDP-2 also duplicating the DDV files and change their names to DDP. Now i have a new model available which can upscale progressive sources but using the DDV-2 algorythms.

This is the custom DDP-2 image:

This is GHQ-5 from the same 50p source file:

This is AHQ-11 from the same 50p source file:

You need to zoom in quite a bit to see the difference, but it’s very noticeable, that DDP-2 based on DDV-2 is sharper and creates more details.

Nevertheless, the build-in deinterlacer does not really work for this type of footage due to the resulting flickering, which even gets worse if you slow down 50p to 24p.!

1 Like

I think you have to have a certain number of posts to upload images. It’s probably to try to stop spammers, but all I have seen it do is interfere with legitimate users’ posts.

Anyway, what I did until I could attach images, was just use imgur.

I did some tests by upscaling 320x160 mpeg1 videos and I got the best results with V1.5.3 - AHQ 1.0.1
Sad is that I’m now using an RTX3090 and can’t use anymore that version.
Now I can’t find any good model in V2.1.0
The one that is in the near of the old model is AAA-9
But it’s not as good and I noticed that it has sometimes strange red color banding in the eyes and face.
Strange side-note is, that this color-banding does not happen if I switch to CPU-mode, but CPU has in general a more worse picture than in GPU-mode??

so I’m now waiting for a better AHQ or AAA version…

@taylor.bishop Avid Codecs
Here

It’s weird, earlier for my video I was at 0.31-0.32 seconds per frame and now I’m down to 0.23 seconds per frame like before. I have the same settings and the same video quality in departure. I say to myself that’s good xd.
Artemis MQ v12 and clearly superior to v11. The image is sharper and more beautiful than with v11

Hi,
Moire, aliasing, Nyquist frequency: in (fast) short it’s the same thing.

From memory: When the sensor of a camera does not have the power of resolution higher than ~ 1.x at 2x (x = ? my Memory bug) the distance between parallel lines (whatever the direction) it can happen depending on the light and the angle reflection for this problem. It was quite common on older cameras in the early days of digital.

For moiré: an example. (I don’t have a clip with moiré)
moire

For the Dehalo, for example, I have very compressed clips (interlaced HDV). When the light was low and contrasted enough with the sky (for example) it created a halo. (see around the head of the seagull):

And after Dione interlaced Robus Dehalo V1: much less.

Hope this help.

Thank you very much.

About the seagull picture, I am not sure if am seeing what you mean. I guess this is the reason why I struggle with a lot of these problems, their descriptive name suggests things that I would describe very different. :smiley:

So the edge around the head looks pretty blurry and it looks like the white is bleeding into the background. Besides that I can see that the grain around the bird also behaves differently, like some sort of force field. Is the halo the “bleed” or the “force-field” or both? :slight_smile:

BTW. Sorry for the dumb question. If Topaz Labs really wants free marketing, they should infest in a good wiki for such things, since googling it is pretty frustrating sometimes. Examples and descriptions are often contradicting each other. I have some videos that I think have ghosting in it but I am not sure if it is, because I could not find any good example to match it up. Besides that the community in video forums seems to be a little divided themselves on what to call what. :slight_smile:

I haven’t seen any solutions mentioned, unfortunately.

The Dehalo can give you look more natural on some scenes.
Although everything seems blurred, it really makes something better.

Below is an example (NTSC DVD → 1080p):
Dione Interlaced Dehalo v1

Dione DV/TV(I can’t remember) v1

2.1.0 Dione model still has the strips problem, will it be solved in the future?
QTGMC then Artemis/Gaia is not a solution, Dione has much more details than them.

I really love the new version, especially the Artemies MQ and LQ and the Dehalo modes are a great improvement. Sometimes there appears a minor mosaic pattern btw.

A small feature worth adding would be a sound playing if processing is complete. I mostly process small video snippets taking some minutes to complete. A post processing sound would allow me to have VEAI running in the background and being informed of a video having been completely processed.

Hi fullframe,

Could you try out this version and let me know if it fixes the issue for you? We’re unable to reproduce this locally so will need people that are experiencing it to test out a potential solution for us.

I really appreciate it, thank you!

Ah, I see what you mean - thanks for the screenshot! I’ll get this fixed for the next version.

Does Video Enchace support intel iris videocard from laptop?

We the users with 1080p monitors will wait for the fix. Thanks for replying and the Great work you’re doing :+1: Enjoy the weekend and stay safe