Video Enhance AI v1.9.0

On another topic, another user had strange issues and it came down to a corrupted graphics driver.

Plus, this software runs better on stable versions of drivers like Nvidia studio driver.

I am personally running a Quadro card which only releases a stable version of drivers and on top of that. The VRAM on the card is ECC and first bin, which means the best quality from the batch.

To sum up, do what garblah said to do first, then try reinstalling the video driver, finally try reinstalling VEAI.

PS Please in the future describes the issue and give us some of the specs for what you are running when asking for help. Makes it way easier and most people are willing to help people that show they have basic computer knowledge. I donā€™t know how many times I want to bang my head against the wall trying to help my parents.

Thx Marty! Ben did contact me. :slight_smile:

That sounds like a bit of a do :wink:

I know 4k monitors and TVs exist, but I personally donā€™t own one. Not planning on buying one any time soon and the best monitor I got is a 2K monitor and running at 75Hz.

Just fixing the garbage from ripping interlace video and running it through Artemis LQ with no upscaling looks great to me. It could be low expectations, but TV shows of this era were shot with a soft filter on them. Plus all the upscaling software out there says it further softens it, then upscales it, then guesses to fill in the blanks, and then resharpens the whole image. Sharp filming just wasnā€™t a set standard then. Unless you can get your hands on the actual films and do a real remastering like they did for Star Wars. I just donā€™t see how VEAI has a chance with upscaling those videos worth a damn.

Iā€™m running Win10 and processing videos by compressing videos with handbrake then cleaning them up with Artemis LQ with no upscaling. Iā€™m trying to upscale TV Shows mostly from the '90s like Charmed, Voyager, Bones, Stargate, and the like.

Anyone got a better way for me to try, Iā€™m all ears.

I donā€™t see the issue. If I go purchase the whole series and then pay you to upscale it for me, but you already have upscaled it. Then allow me to download it or mail a hard drive to me. I donā€™t see the legal issue. You would be selling a service and not the media. I do agree just giving it to me would be illegal.

The issue with upscaling DS9. You could chop up the video, process the different scenes differently, and put it back together again. Like use Gaia-CG on the computer generated space ships and battles and something different for the actual film shoots. Huge pain in the butt, but might be the only way till they come up with a model that can handle mix filming.

Has anyone else seen the documentary/behind the seens for the full 360Ā° green rooms they have now a days? I saw it on the making of the Mandalorian.

if you dont have a 4k screen, than you definitely dont need 4k upscaling.
But 1080P upscaling is also a big enhancement to the ā€œold tv series of the 80ths/90thsā€

just finished the adventures of young indiana jones, now i am upscaling voyager

planed but canceled babylon5 and stargate sg1, because both are now availabe in 1080p on the market. Either on BR or on MGM/paytv.

as you are running 1.9.0, why dont you use new Dione Models incl. de-interlacing?
i got many badly deinterlaced old sd videos and Dione does a pretty good job on them.
ok, sometimes the interlace saw teeth look only softer, like a sinus curve, but at the end it is really nicer to watch.

but i encountered audio heavily out of sync issues with DioneTV model,
so i dont use it anymore until this issue is fixed

you did not answer my question why you need 3 weeks for 1 episode (~45min video)

Hi.

Requests:

1. Dione DV and Dione TV options:
    I would add the option to choose whether I actually DO want or not the double frame rate or not.
  2. Set audio on by default
  3. Chroma noise remover would be cool.
  4. Custom crop
  5. Detect and skip totally black frames (would improve speed slightly)
  6. Deshaker or flicker removal would be nice too.

Thanks too much.

I just went to my profile that shows all my posts and couldnā€™t find what youā€™re talking about. I recall someone saying something with three weeks, but I donā€™t remember who.

But the learning curve on this program is steep for a newbie in this field. I think that is the market they are going for.

Cause of that, you could take 3 weeks on a barely good enough system to get a handle on how this program works and what is best for what you want. Especially since this could be a hobby and they still have a life, work, and a family.

Now, if Topaz Labs had at least one person that gets to talk directly to developers, testers, and oversees the community as well as can promote people to be a tester and work with all those people to produce how-to videos and future plans videos.

Then a new userā€™s experience could be a week of watching videos before ever downloading the software. A weekend of knowing the preview button is there and using it to figure out what they can do with their machine as well as really decide if they want to buy the software. Even if they donā€™t buy the software because their machine is useless while their upscaling and they donā€™t have another one to use for solely upscaling. They will remember and share their experience as well express how much they wish they could of upscale that old TV show or those Camcorder videos of playing with their kids with friends and colleagues.

Word of mouth is the best way to promote or destroy something. Why was Raid Show Legends paying YouTubers to run Ads for their game and do positive reviews for them as well? Because word of mouth is the best promotion tool out there.

1 Like

Its stuff like this with audio getting out of sync with the video that i donā€™t know if I have to skills yet to resync it. Thats why I donā€™t jump to the newest version of software as soon as it is availbe.

Do you have to pull the audio out of the original copy and just attach it to the new version of the video or do you have to modify the audio from the new version for some reason?

Your suggestions sound well thought out, but I am a newbie and man can you go down a rabbitsā€™ hole all the ways of converting film to digital media as well as all the stuff with 4K and 8K now.

No one replied to if you can have two version of this software on your system at the same time or not? Can you reinstall the old version back again if the new version crashes your system or simplely doesnā€™t work quite right?

1 Like

Try setting the first image, then selecting the ā€œSet as defaultā€ under the Process menu. Iā€™ve done that and then batch processed videos, I am unsure about photos.

Best I have read, is to use Handbreak to do some conversions pre/post. Then you can use something like ā€œSublerā€ for Mac to swap audio tracks. Iā€™ve had better luck postā€“processing the clip in Handbreak and telling it to Align A/V Start. As it feels like VEAI wants to add a black frame to the beginning.

You can have as many versions as you need on your device. They are or are for a Mac self contained application packages. The /models/ directory is within each app. I have both 1.0.9 and the beta packages running side by side.

forget about the 3 weeks ā€¦ i mixed you up with someone else.
you sidekicked my conversation with him, so i thought it was you :wink:

I keep forgetting to report this bug but it happens every time.

In 1.9.0 If the output format is set to ProRes (.mov) the final 7 frames or so of the outputted video gets cut off. Pretty noticeable if youā€™ve got something like a dip to black or sound fading out at the end of a clip.

On Imac OpenCL or Meatal could be used. OpenCL for MultipleGPU.Both Adobe PremierPro And Divinchi Resolve Able to use more than one GPU for Video :slight_smile:

I donā€™t know how to verify this, but Artemis LQ with 100%(Denoise/DeBlock) did a worse job cleaning up one of my videos and setting it as Artemis LQ with SD.

Does the 100%(Denoise/DeBlock) Preset override the AI Model?

I tested a few minutes of interlaced home video. But unfortunately the input frame count and the output frame count do not match.
Therefore, video and audio are out of sync. In vain do I transfer the original sound to the new video track.
I think, (we) need an option for Dione DV and TV models that retains the original frame rate.

I have a version on my computer, the latest (VEAI 1.9.0).

For developers (please correct the following bugs):

letterbocks2000 wrote 4 days ago.

The ghosting/flashing/flickering with Dione is ferocious.
Can any beta tester confirm it is improved in newer versions?
Itā€™s like having double vision or seeing strobing, sometimes.

b.ameduri wrote 11 days ago.

Thanks for the update, a few bugs/issues I picked up with the new Dione-DV/TV/TD v1 models below.
(The source was a DV-AVI type-2 file. PAL 720x576 50i LFF. 48kHz 16bit audio)

Deinterlacing still leaves combing artifacts on fast moving objects: It appears to work well on static shots or scenes with low motion.
Any fast movement or action shots, the deinterlacer struggles and produces combing artifacts (happens more in areas with high colour saturation).

Feature request (which I personally consider a good idea): de-haloing and anti-aliasing filters would help improve the image quality of over-sharpened footage from cheap consumer and some professional camcorders.

Jupiter_500 wrote 19 days ago.

ā€¦ I mean there was someone asking about wanting to process a video using the Dione model but not have the frame rate double via the Dione DV and TV models.

Thank You!

1 Like

Dare I say ā€œgreat minds think alikeā€? Babylon 5 is actually what got me here (the software as well as the forum), just 2 days ago, so Iā€™m still a complete newbie!. As much as I like the new HD 4:3-version (even though there are some episodes which unfortunately still look quite terrible; I guess the film stock was in varied shape), I still would like to have a better looking version of the 16:9-episodes. However, Iā€™m just getting started, and feel a little overwhelmed with all the options and processes involved (deinterlacing etc.) :astonished:. So thanks for your earlier description of your process! Not sure if thatā€™s what Iā€™m going to end up doing, but it definitely gave me some idea what I have to look out for.

Anyway, the main reason Iā€™m writing: I had a similar idea; not adding the 4:3 CGI-scenes, but cropping them from the new HD transfer and then blowing them up again to 16:9. However, I really donā€™t think itā€™s doable to replace all the CGI-shots, since there are SO FREAKINā€™ MANY OF THEM (note itā€™s not just the full-CGI-scenes, but also all of the composite shots, with PPG-fire, digital backgrounds, whatever). You would pretty much have to re-edit each and every episode from scratch. And weā€™re not even talking about the problem of synching the audio to that once youā€™re done. So yeah, Iā€™ll probably just upscale, then run it through Magic Video Deluxe to optimize the image (brightness, colors, contrast), and be done with it.

The only possible exception: There are a couple of CGI-scenes on YouTube (posted by Tom Smith) which were rerendered in 16:9 from the original files. Might be fun to at least TRY to use those to replace the original shots. Especially since that would only be for a handful of episodes. Otherwise, though, Iā€™ll just see what VEAI can make with them. (Note: Iā€™ll be using the NTSC-DVDs, where they at least did a better job with the cropping).

Anyway, I donā€™t wanna bore the rest. If you wanna talk a little bit more about that, write me a PM! :slightly_smiling_face:

Sure, input videoā€™s total frames go missing out of nowhere :rofl::rofl:. Donā€™t know why they miss reading some frames. It is clearly there in mkvtoolnix or whatever encoding programs. And that is the main reason why audio is out of sync when remux.
Also, why .mp4? It is just bad, who the hell uses .mp4. Use .mkv instead for container, and H265, maybe prepare for upcoming H266. At least, use .mkv, it will help prevent many crashes.

1 Like

I have been trying to figure out why the detail in my upscaled TV episodes seemed a bit low and been doing different settings in Handbrake trying to figure out whatā€™s going on.

I figured out three things:
first, the issue with losing detail was because I went full screen on a 2K monitor. I brought the VLC window down to the site of the preview in VEAI and it was perfect. I owe you an apology and maybe I show consider your point and upscale it. I was thinking of doing the 200% upscale option since my show is 768 by 576 resolution, but Iā€™m not sure how. Were you recommending the upgrade to 1.9.0 and using the Dione Model on the rip straight from MKV. Then compress it with handbrake using what, the H.265 running slow and about 22 on constant quality? I do plan on using a windows plex server.

Second, Since for some reason VEAI doesnā€™t want to use more than 45% of my Quadro P4000 regardless of how many instances I run. As well as running slower when I do that. That left room for me to move Handbreak over to the Quadro. Maybe I will be able to run 2 or 3 instances of Handbreak at a time. Talk about moving things along.

Finally, playing around with Handbrake after I moved it showed me how good it is to have a GPU that handles encoding without bringing the system to a halt. I have an AMD 3900x processor with 64GBs of RAM and Handbreak successfully uses all logical cores on my processor, but the difference in how long it takes to encode on processor verse GPU was 8 to 10 times slower. I am so happy I can use the GPU to do my encoding now. It was just never even an option because it was too taxing on my GTX 1060 to run 3 virtual machines, too many chrome tabs, and still be able to watch movies.

Thanks, MXrevoltion for giving me a reason to say what if and how come. I hope others help me learn too.

PS Donā€™t buy the HD version of Babylon 5. I personnally only found it on digital download format and it looks like a dunk with free software did it. Iā€™m still trying to get my money back from Amazon. It says HD in the bottom, but that standard applies to 720p and 1080p.

This software should be able to do a better good than that.

Donā€™t buy the HD version of Babylon 5. I personnally only found it on digital download format and it looks like a dunk with free software did it. I still trying to get my money back from Amazon. It says HD in the bottom that standard applies to 720p and 1080p.

This software should be able to do a better good than that.