Video Enhance AI v1.8.1

there was a ‘leaked’ 1.8.2 version that was only meant for internal testing, it wasn’t even for beta testing yet (beta for this version should begin next week). Don’t mind that version, wait until Topaz themselves announce it. It has unfinished new models that might give you bad results in the current state.

That could mean a number of different things… I have many questions…

• By “interlaced DVD” content, are you just referring to the typical 3:2 telecine that you see on NTSC DVD’s? If so, that’s not really such a big deal, as all VEAI would do in this case is perform 3:2 pulldown and decimate the interlaced frames (i.e., throw out the interlaced frames and keep the progressive ones, giving 23.976 fps).

• Or, are you referring to a model that handles actual interlaced content, so it can act as an “AI deinterlacer”? Will it have frame rate options? (“Bob” or keep all frames to go from 30 to 60 fps, or options like srestore to achieve 24 fps from 30 or 60 fps…)

• What about mixed content that is present on so many anime DVD’s, and CGI sequences from shows from the 90’s and early 2000’s (Star Trek et al). Something that can detelecine, THEN automatically detect and handle pure interlaced segments without needing to identify them and do manual video editing to separate these out, deinterlace them, then get the correct frame rate (like 24 fps) would be very nice…

• Does this new “Dione” model only deinterlace, or is it an upscaling model?

Thanks

The 1st pictured that the software sees the video card “1: AMD Radon RX590”

The 2nd picture showed that “Topaz Video Enhance AI” was using 2034.9% of the 12 cores. Hyper-Threading makes that 24 cores so Video Enhance is using 20.3/24.0 virtual cores.

regards

You might want to ask that for @ATharp

Video AI Is Not Reading Photos From Topaz Products,Photo Shop.
Ticket Already Filesd.

1 Like

Do you mind to post the links to the pirate sites?

I am new to the forum and although I have tried to fully read all the sections of this forum, I do not yet know any other places to discuss. I would appreciate it if you would give me a link to the Facebook page where the link to the beta version you mentioned will be published.
Also, do I have to have a Facebook account to see the link mentioned?

Now I work with black and white 35 mm. negative films from 50 years ago.
The condition of the films is very poor. I have a professional Plustek scanner with “SilverFast 8” soft .
I scan the negative with a resolution of 3200 dpi, and then process it in the retouching program “Akvis Retoucher”.
Then I use “Photoshop CS6”, and the brightness equalizer from “ACDSee Pro 8”.
Finally I halve the size in “Gigapixel AI” and remove the noise with “Denoise AI”.
Coloring is done in the program “AKVIS Coloriage”.
If you know more powerful tools for retouching b/w photographic films, I will be grateful for your information.

Thanks for your insight.
I am new like you and an amateur in editing or encoding video hehe. I don’t know if I am calling a ‘term’ correctly.
I haven’t tried video colorizing. I did photo colorizing using VEAI. My family photos were also 50+ years ago, maybe later, there was photo of great grand father.
I put these photos in png to mkv file so now VEAI can read them as ‘frames’, then output new png. For colorizing I use free tool online like imagecolorizer.com. And VEAI does all the hard stuff like upscaling, deblock, denoise, sharpening…blah blah which I don’t know how to do manually.

Yes you do need a Facebook acc,

Hi, I have a small problem. I’m starting to upscale episode 1 of season 2 of Stargate GS-1. My problem is that Video Enhance considers the episode as 50 fps. While the episode and like all those of season 1: 25 fps. How can I fix this?

For my attempts as a video enhancement beginner and photographer with 13+ years experience i went the image editing route and had VEAI exported as png and in blender (a free CGI software) exported it as video.

In blender you can change everything you want, including the frames/s.

I find the idea of having more control over the individual frames using image processing software interesting.

So i can work with the best possible quality.

Of course, this takes longer, but also makes the biggest difference.

I always export in PNG for optimal output quality and then edit in Adobe Premiere pro.
I noticed the same problem in season 2, 6 and 7.

Is it a problem if the numbers are not correct?

Or is it just a display thing.

It says video is interlaced. So this is why it is stored as a 50i video. Do you see some combing ?
You must deinterlace the video first to make it a progressive 25 fps.

I don’t have interlacing though.

My starting files are in MKV. Premiere pro does not manage MKV. I could convert to mp4 with HandBrake but I risk to lose quality.

Not something you should post in forum setting. Email to support would be more appropriate.

Me too! Cannot wait for DeinterlaceAI! :grinning:

It’s typical of PAL DVD’s. It’s progressive 25 fps, but flagged as interlaced. I usually re-encode DVD’s like this to mp4 with CRF=1 before upscaling.

Also, your DVD is sped up for PAL. It’s original fps is 23.976. If it were me, I would go from VEAI to PNG, then encode the image stream at 23.976, and use Audacity to slow the audio down to the correct pitch and speed. Better yet, get ahold of the NTSC DVD’s since that’s the original format. (I see a lot of people upscaling PAL DVD’s of NTSC video and 24 fps film; they don’t seem to understand that this is the incorrect frame rate and pitch.)

So you have only a duplicate frames every other frame then ? In that case you should use avisynth with
LSMASHSource filter (Releases · HolyWu/L-SMASH-Works · GitHub) and a simplest script like

LWLibavVideoSource("yourfile.mkv").ChangeFPS(25,1)

This will drop the duplicates frames. You should also add ConvertToRGB(matrix="Rec???")
But is it Rec601 or Rec709. It’s rarely specified on commercial DVDs from films on what colorspace it has been mastered. As you use Premiere Pro, a good way to guess the real colorspace used would be to import it (you can easilly convert MKV to MP4 without reencoding by using Avidemux or Xmedia Recode) on Premiere and watch the vectorscope associated to the video. Choose scenes with people without background/clothes silmilar to skin tones to and see if the skin tone line is aligned. As Premiere pro will normally decode SD with the Rec601 color matrix :

• If it is aligned then your file is Rec601
  • If not and is shifted in that case normally in the right then it is Rec709.