Video Enhance AI v1.8.0

Appreciate the tip. But yeah, for quick and dirty I don’t mind VEAI reencoding the audio. If I can avoid having to add extra and unnecessary steps to my workflow then I’m for it. I don’t feel I’m asking for mountains to be moved either for VEAI to just copy the existing audio over or at least use a higher bitrate if reencoding is unavoidable…so I’ll ask.

Have any of you had a problem with 1.8.0 changing the frame rate? I passed Ashley a piece of video the other day that was originally 15fps and 1.8.0 produced it at 25fps, adding extra frames at the end to pad it out.

I just did one that was 30fps, and VEAI again produced it at 25fps, this time extending the total time of play. I want to know if this was unique, or if 1.8.0 somehow got messed up to produce a fixed frame rate of 25. The originals were not variable, they were constant.

Artemis V9, but I tested the small one I sent to Ashley with Gaia V5 and it did the same thing.

On edit, it was probably a self-inflicted wound. There is a registry entry for outputFPS, and it was set for 25. I don’t remember setting it, but apparently I did since I can’t duplicate it with a clean install (truly clean, where the registry entries are removed). Default is 0, which apparently means “use input FPS.” So, false alarm.

How are you changing the mp4 encoding format?

As a test, I used ffmpeg to synthesize 1 frame and 3 frames of video in mp4 format. After completion, after importing VEAI, I chose to export PNG and compare them.

The jpg quality in this version is awfull. Too much jpg artifacts and low quality output frames. The result (at 100% denoise/deblock) is even worse than the original input if you select jpg output.

I never save jpeg but I remember one time outputting it by accident instead of png and it was really awful. After verification the jpeg have only a 50% quality :open_mouth:
There should be at least a slider to choose the quality quantification and also the chroma subsampling like any serious image editor.

1 Like

Ok, so you’re comparing how VEAI treats a single frame vs a series of frames.

Motion consistency between frames isn’t a new feature. It has to be there in some form otherwise you would have details flickering in motion as frames progress in playback. What I don’t know for certain is whether it is baked into the AI model (I suspect it might be).

Edit: The “Improved motion consistency” listed in the first post was for the Artemis models, but you said you used the Theia models. So it doesn’t appear to apply anyway.

When should you apply noise reduction (Neatvideo plugin) and sharpening with video enhance AI workflow to upscale 1080p to UHD? Can you just finish the 1080p video with noise reduction and sharpening and then upscale it? Or should I only use noise reduction and no sharpening and then upscale? And add sharpening after the upscaling if needed?

When are color shifts going to be fixed? This is a huge bummer if you just upscale the final product instead of all clips before editing.

GPU_Z is the tool you need to show you everything about your GPU… TechPowerUp

I hope that users can choose whether to enable continuous frame speculation. In some scenes, discontinuous background frames cause strange composite picture problems.

I find people like to blow off steam about any change. I have zero issues with Windows 10, and it’s definitely their best OS to date in my opinion. I install updates as fast as MS sends them, and it’s not once caused me a problem. I use the explorer ribbon religiously, couldn’t do without it at this point, and no, it isn’t broken. Pick a different theme…make your own…silly thing to complain about. I run dark mode, app and theme.

2 Likes

Time to test all that with my RTX3060 Ti with only 8GB of ram. Actually I already have noticed that VEAI does not use the GPU to the max and i’ve started to wonder why.
It’s like a roller coaster… up… down… up… down…

I agree 100% with you. It was a big task but I got my Win10 looking and feeling like an actual OS (i.e., classic Windows). I was able to get rid of the horrible ribbon. If you haven’t already, seek out Simple Classic Theme and Simple Classic Theme Taskbar by AEAEAEAE4343. I would never install myself (or recommend) the latest Win10 release on any machine that has data you care about on it. If you want to upgrade, always pick the previous release, and always check to make sure there aren’t any known big issues with it before doing so. (For example the SMB1 issue on 2004 that you mentioned might be a problem for some users or groups who rely heavily on those features.)

Win10 is extremely bloated and packed with spyware that all users should disable. It’s supposed to be an operating system, not a live service, no matter how much Microsoft wants it to be.

3 Likes

Any discussion regarding custom presets? Having only one, the default, is sort of a pain. I have different projects with different settings, which are written on PostIt note, stuck to the wall above my desk.

RTX 3060 Ti is GREAT in VEAI. Its speed is soo much better than 2080 RTX I had before.
I use MSI 3060 Ti Trio X and its silent the whole time. Great card, for good money.

Artemis LQ good on old grainy/blocky videos from CCD sensors etc.
GaiaHQ still better at keeping details. Artemis is blurring details somehow.
What I noticed it is interesting to do 105-110% artemis LQ becauise it does not add that visible pattern/raster into the video.

Artemis LQ is an amazing achievement. I hope they improve GaiaHQ too.

Please provide download link for that model. Many people would try it out I guess.

Is there anyway u could possible add a feature to select which model version we want to use from previous versions of VEAI ? Like, in VEAI it says “Gaia HQ v5”. I want to use the Gaia HQ model from VEAI 1.2.3.

Example, I have 2 computers, 1 with an RTX 3090 and another with an RTX 2080 Ti. I want to upscale 4K videos to 8K (I do have n 8K TV), but I see no difference with Gaia-HQ at all with ANY version after VEAI 1.2.3. That version was perfect for me (I do know it makes it brighter, but it also makes everything so crystal clear n sharp compared to any other version after that on my 8K TV). Every single version after VEAI 1.2.3, there is no difference in quality other than picture stretched out to 8K, image remains the same. Ik this, cuz I export comparison of images from VEAI n then display them on my 8K TV back n forth in a folder (by plugging computer/RTX 3090 into my 8K TV, giving me an 8K 60hz signal via HDMI 2.1).

I have to resort to using version 1.2.3 in bedroom with VEAI version 1.2.3, but I obviously can’t use my RTX 3090 with that version for my main computer. It doesn’t bother me too much as I can record n stream/work online while VEAI enhances n upscales videos in the bedroom (with the 2080 Ti) but it will also take a lot longer cuz it’s way weaker of a card vs the 3090.

2 Likes

How much better is the speed?

i dont have a 3060ti
but some benchmarks i read show 12% plus compared to the 2080
and 3% compared to the 2080super