Video Enhance AI v1.8.0

Thanks so much everyone for the help. I did the task manager trick with the GPU and the performance was being shown under the different settings. Also I swapped to GPU-Z for a better reading on things.

For some reason i swore i had reduce GPU load unchecked but it was checked. So I unchecked that and also went into Nvidia control panel and changed the power mode of my GPU to maximum performance. Now when I’m doing a video of 960x540 → 1920x1080 I’m at a stable 0.13 sec/frame.

Thanks again everyone for all the help, really really appreciate it

1 Like

That would be appreciated

Artemis v9 is crushing details on all versions. I can understand why that is on v9 HQ but the others, MQ,LQ, are simply coating the image in the waxy layer from GaiaCG and that’s not what they were supposed to be for, IMO. LQ may work for very poor sources where the detail was lost anyway and the smoothed over soft look is better than nothing, but Artemis has been rendered useless as a detail enhancing/improving model now. What is the point of doing this with Artemis when Theia does this exact job and can be adjusted. Artemis is now GaiaCG and it didn’t need to be. I’ve done many tests with various resolutions and sources and Artemis v9 is a pointless addition.

Christmas wish list = DEINTELACER!!

I’m having several problems with compression methods. JPG quality is awful as i posted yesterday, but mp4 at 20 CRF is full of low quality artifacts too. At 10 is almost fine, but the wheigt of the result is much higher than ever. I never had this problems with other versions.

The machine is from 2017 running a GTX1080Ti and 3.6GHz quad Xeon with 32GB ECC RAM. Hardly slow or obsolete. The parts were actually sitting on a shelf here unused until 2020 when I put it together in 2020 for VEAI. I used Windows 7 because it is compatible with 1.6.1 and far more stable than Windows 10 and doesn’t spy on you if you uninstall the telemetry “updates”. I could care less about “unsupported by Microsoft”. For maximum stability I always immediately disable Windows Updates after install. I do the same on Linux. Linux is just as bad regarding updates killing a box. My main box runs XP because I like it. I use the best tools for the job for me, not just what’s pushed by a corporation with unknown motives.

Why not reinstall your OS? I can only guess you made the error of putting VEAI on your main machine and for some unknown reason do not create boot drive image backups.

2 Likes

VEAI use of GPU is not ‘linear’ with CU count/TFLOPS performance. I see the 3090 is getting better times than 3070 even if it’s not comparable with CU count/TFLOPS and it seems about the same as other user that tested 1.8.0 with both 3070 and 3090.
I must say, as I’ve stated to the other user, that the result of using a software passes between various possible ‘bottlenecks’, and each one can have an impact on the results.
Read my comment and also reply on this topic if you wish to discuss RTX 3000 performance on VEAI: AI Video Enhance with new GPU 3090 RTX? - #14 by plissandro

ArtemisLQv9 smooths quite a bit, but I wouldn’t use the word “crush” to describe it. MQ is excellent with noisy sources and enhances detail. I think Gaia-CG 1.6.1 does a better job with clean 720p and 1080p video. Theia? You’re joking right? Crushes details describes Theia perfectly.

Deinterlacer? Did you read my post in the VEAI FAQ thread? I tried to make it clear why VEIA does not do this, and why it’s best you learn the basics of QTGMC usage.

The tests i did do not reflect your findings. They have been working on a deinterlacer for a while and when I asked if they had abandoned the idea they said certainly not. Why did you reply to my post as if I had replied to a post of yours? Have I missed something, do you represent Topaz in an official capacity? I don’t see a tag next to you username.

Seriously, I don’t know if any AI deinterlacer will do better than QTGMC when I see the awful results with the DaVinci Resolve AI deinterlacer engine :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

I get good results using the following in a workflow:

Gaia HQ - 2x upscale
Theia detail - 1x noise reduction
Artemis MQ - 1x noise reduction mode

Doing so in that order reduces the spotty artifacts introduced by Gaia, and removes the pattern artifacts by Theia.

Unfortunately, that’s a lot of processing to do in order to get a nice result.

1 Like

I never thought of running a video through the program more than once, is that what people normally do ? I’ve been super satisfied with all of the new Artemis v9, i like it WAY more than Gaia and i was loving Gaia before this update. I’m gonna try out your workflow, i just never thought of running a video through the program more than once, I’m very curious to see the results now.

Yes, often one pass or one model isn’t sufficient.

You can try it out with by limiting the processing to a few frames. Then run the processed frames with another model and so on.

If you are fine with it, i am, too.

but its a urban legend, that win7 runs more stable than 10
especially when you turn of all updates.
I can say that, as i am running my own it service for 20 years now as MCP, MCSA, MCSE etc.
So i would know. And its for sure no error putting VEAI on the main machine.
I never had any issues or crashes with VEAI. My system runs rock solid… for weeks without any restarts. Maybe coz i have updates enabled? :wink:
I liked windows 2.0 … but i dont use it anymore for some reason… facepalm

really no offense, but i could not leave that unanswered.
if you are fine with it … who am i, to condemn that

2 Likes

The older models (1.6.1 etc) will not work in VEAI version 1.7.x and up. I believe this is because 1.6.1 and earlier versions used TensorFlow, and 1.7.x is a new engine that uses Open Neural Network Exchange. The new engine also requires DirectX 12, which means no more ability to run on Windows 7. (Some users have asked Topaz to switch to Vulkan instead of DX12 which would work on Win7.)

Here are all of the current live models that may or may not work for you (try them and see) for VEAI 1.8.0:

artemis-aa-9.json
artemis-hq-6.json
artemis-hq-7.json
artemis-hq-8.json
artemis-hq-9.json
artemis-lq-6.json
artemis-lq-7.json
artemis-lq-8.json
artemis-lq-9.json
artemis-mq-9.json
gaia-cg-5.json
gaia-cg-6.json
gaia-hq-5.json
gaia-hq-6.json
theia-hide-3.json
theia-hide-4.json
theia-hide-5.json
theia-hide-6.json
theia-hifi-3.json
theia-hifi-4.json

To get these files, first, make sure VEAI is closed. Then, open your current JSON file in a text editor (i.e., Notepad). Your current JSON files should be located in C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Topaz Labs LLC\Video Enhance AI\models. Change the number in line 3 "version": "X", to the version you want, then save the JSON as a new file, nameing it to the corresponsing version. BE CAREFUL not to overwrite your original JSON’s. So for example, open artemis-lq-9.json, then change "version": "9", to "version": "8", and save the file as artemis-lq-8.json. Now Artemis-LQ v8 will appear in addition to Artemis-LQ v9 in VEAI. VEAI will download the model files it needs automatically.

Some notes:

The following models files are missing / not available from the download server: Missing model files for download: These OpenVINO files are missing for the - Pastebin.com

The “beta” Artemis v9 model files are no longer available as the “release” ones overwrote the “beta” ones on the download server, since they have the same file names. According to developers, the “release” Artemis v9 model files have had an additional week of training. In my testing, they are slightly sharper than the “beta” model files. It’s probably not noticeable in final live video.

Here’s a copy/paste of a post I made in the beta forum with some additional details:

8 Likes

Hi

My name is John and I am a retired broadcast engineer and also wrote all the technical standards and architecture papers for a public broadcaster.

In my 40 years in the broadcast industry I can compare Topaz video enhance AI to the first time we started digital tape recordings.

In my career I have been technical manager, post production manager and before I retired, I was the manager for all technical television projects and the chairperson for the technology strategy and architecture group.

As a hobby I shoot UHD wildlife videos. I have a lot of HD interlaced footage which is now useless until I downloaded TOPAZ video 1.71. I use the best deinterlacer before I use TOPAZ. Since I do not sell the footage, I use the trial version.
Version 1.80 works fine on my laptop i7 RTX 2060 8G. Artemis v9 very good.

The results is phenomenal.

As I have always said to the broadcast people when they bring me bad quality video. “matter can not be created or destroyed” In other words their is not much you can do with bad quality video.

“I WAS WRONG”

TOPAZ VIDEO ENHANCE AI IS A PEICE OF SOFTWARE THAT ALL PROFESSIONAL POST PRODUCTION COMPANIES SHOULD HAVE.

I hope this is not the wrong forum to give this feedback.

Also tried another so-called video AI brand and In comparison to Topaz it is useless.

Kind Regards

John

PS. I do not use the exact workflow as recommended by Topaz

6 Likes

Love your message john because since a while, I see, and maybe some other people but not many too much negativities in this forum. I’m afraid that a lot of people don’t understand at which point VEAI is an amazing piece of software. 30 years ago, i was friend with the son of a video producer, helped him sometimes doing editing and as well shooting professionnal videos (on U’matic Tape and Sony editing hardware (still have an U’matic SP tape here), with hardware FX on a rack of 2x19" for an insane price just to do an awful page change effect.

I edit videos for my own pleasure as a musician, and what VEAI achieve is since i got it, one of the few software which succeded to impress me during the last 10 years. But i’m afraid that most of people here maybe don’t recognize all this. (no i don’t work for Topaz).

Don’t know if you would be ok , but would love to know what kind of workflow you use ! All the best !

1 Like

Hi Marty

I smiled when you mentioned U-matic analogue tape.

The workflow is actually simple.

My early footage is HDV and AVCHD after that.

Since I have HD interlaced footage, I use YADIF+TEMPORAL+SPATIAL deinterlacing to 1920x1080 progressive. Excellent results.

I all cases I do a double run of Topaz.
First render Artemis MQ v9 100% - denoise/deblock
Second render MQ v9 200%

To some extent it is trial and error depending on the original quality of the video.
You can try MQ and HQ and even LQ first or second render.

However I got quality perception results that is on a par or damn close to my Sony AX700 UHD footage viewed on a Samsung QLED 4K TV.

Remember! Picture quality is not a specification bat rather a perception of the video when viewed.

To get the best possible viewing results turn of all the artificial enhancements on the TV.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

John

2 Likes

But not everybody is willing to learn a scripting language just to deinterlace 3 or 5 old dvds from the cellar. … who really needs that in 2021 anymore?

QTGMC aka avisynth has no gui and so it is more for old grown vhs heros not willing to advance and working stuck to their oldschool technics. And thats how they behave in 3d foren. Disgracing every convinient tool… especially topaz VEAI… telling everybody its crapware and avisynth is the only authority. blababla… Learn scripting, read the tutorials … noway buddy… its not 1990 anymore

Even if QTGMC is the best deinterlacer in the universe…
if it has no gui today, it is useless for 90% of the ppl today
I dont need it anyways

2 Likes

Thank you so much :slight_smile:

Hi John i’ll reply to you in private about private stuff, but thanks about your workflow. I didn’t tried yet to do 2 encoding, as i’m still running VEAI on my intel iGpu (HD 630 Intel graphics) and have a 750ti GTX too, so the processins time is very slow and don’t allow to make long video for now.

I’m Waiting the release of a RTX 3050, to see the price, and it would be ok in my mini-itx case, with fans not too loud. so many months to wait (maybe in march… not sure it would be available before).

but i will try the deblock + 200% by curiosity on a short clip to see the result ! i’m very curious about it !

Thanks again and happy to have made you smiling :slight_smile: ahah !