Video Enhance AI v1.7.1

I"m really starting to like Artemis-LQ v8. For the first time I have better results than GAIA-HQ on some videos.

2 Likes

Is it faster for you than 1.6.1? For me it’s twice to three times faster on RTX 2070 super. I like that it uses less GPU as it runs more quietly. It does use more GPU, 80 to 90%, when upscaling large videos, for example 1080 to 4k or 8k.

1.7.1 is definitely using tensor cores. My RTX 2070 super is 2 to 3 times faster than 1.6.1.

On 2070 is only 2x (I have one lol), which match FP16 perf on CUDA, which is 2x, if it was using Tensor it would be up to 8x faster

You can already do this, it is a hidden feature. When saving video, choose to rename the file name, then put .mkv extension instead of .mp4, and it will export a proper mkv.

This software is impressive! If ya’ll are able to tackle interlacing, that would be a massive step toward eventually tackle the extensive issues with home movies shot on VHS!

Currently the best software that I know of for de-interlacing is QTGMC. It’s free and easy to use with Staxrip (also free, use the AVISynth filter setup though as QTGMC has some weird artifacts [specifically with deinterlacing video of fire :fire:] with the VS filter).

Other issues this software could eventually tackle besides deinterlacing:

Muddy and incorrect colors found on DVD and VHS (color resynthesis from a washed out source, so like, 4:1:1 to 4:4:4 up-coloring maybe)

Duplicate-frame removal and the creation of new frames (think 3:2 pull down reversal or advanced IVTC inverse telecine function) - highly recommend as a test the Canadian sci-fi show Lexx on DVD - that thing is a total mess, or the DVD of Drawn Together, also a mess

Animation mode that would better-handle lots of flat colors in each frame where only the edges of everything really need to be upscaled, with zero noise or banding in the result (and again, duplicate frame removal and recreation of the resultant missing frames, in addition to deinterlacing)

Handling badly-deinterlaced footage

Handling progressive footage that only has deinterlacing issues on fast motion or scene changes (usually from mixed footage or a poor conversion).

True B&W to color conversation, as well as the reverse (color to B&W, but in a way the filmmaker would choose to convert). I would think doing B&W to color accurately is still a long way off and would at least need a person’s input on what film stock was used in the original)

Regardless, this software is already great and has SO much potential for restoring video, not just upscaling current stuff :slight_smile:

Keep up the amazing work!

-Dan

5 Likes

For me, large videos (1080p to 4k) are 2x faster, very small videos are at least 3x faster. Many render at faster than realtime. Topaz has stated that tensor cores are utilized. It could be that 2070 super has more tensor cores than 2070. I know it has more cuda cores.

I agree with everything except color conversion, it’s too specialized for now, maybe in the future. Good post.

if it matches the CUDA performance on FP16, NVProfile report Tensor Cores not being used, AND the Radeon Vega 64 is close to the RTX 2080 S ( Video Enhance AI v1.7.0 - #370 by bnumerick ), then no Tensor Core is being used (Vega 64 is closer to 1070 performance at AI - ie Tensor Instructions -, while roughtly matching RTX 2080 S at FP32 and FP16). Also if it was using Tensor Cores, Intel iGPUs would get a big uplift aswell (ever since Haswell intel iGPUs have Tensor instructions - so it literally works as a Tensor Core)

Thanks, I understand, however it’s strange that Topaz would claim tensor cores are being used. Maybe they are to an extent, but not yet optimized?

Can’t know for sure

looking into it…

We are working with NVidia to continue optimizing right now. Stay tuned.

1 Like

Great feedback. integrated deinterlacing has been worked on for a while, ETA end of the year. VHS upscaling is trickier since the quality variation. Will take more time. Current output already do 4:4:4 if you export as image sequence (mp4/mov is 4:2:0).

1 Like

I’m can upscale Interlaced video soon.

Did you see my post about power draw being very on/off ?

On a 2019 iMac with a Core i9 and a Vega 48, running MacOS 10.15.7. 1.7.1 crashes if I try to preview anything, no matter what the settings are. I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but it made no difference.

I Have an AMD RX 480 8GB with a Core i5-6500. I get 0.11sec/frame with Artemis LQ v8 (Source 640x480 100% scale)

2 Likes

Has anyone noticed that while Gaia-HQ produces really good results, it kinda messes up people’s lips?

1 Like

I’ve noticed that when the footage is not properly deinterlaced/detelecined