Video Enhance AI v1.7.0

I do the same…I run through them all, but literally, no joke, have ever seen Artemis do anything but make it worse. Thanks for the info! :slight_smile:

1 Like

artemis is very hit or miss, however it did work for me on two videos but for the most part gaia is my go to. I think that video enhance ai should offer options for gaia , like both an auto setting or a manual setting where people can choose how much sharpening , denoise, and deblocking that they want .This is a playlist of the artist Aaliyah. I converted all her music videos to a higher resolution, most of the videos i used gaia, and some of them i changed aspect ration and contrast with other video software. On the video called make it hot, that particular video i used artemis. Here is the link to the playlist - YouTube the make it hot video was so so blurry that gaia didnt work on that particular video and i had to use artemis. For the most part artemis only is good for me when the video is super low quality, otherwise i like gaia better. If you use artemis on a video thats already decent, it makes it too sharp

2 Likes

Yes bro, we are on the same page, i want a sharpen parameter as well where we have the option to either choose auto or select manual to our own taste. this way it fits everyone.

yesssssssssssssssssss lol thats why i went back to 1.6 because in 1.7 it looks like my original file. i agree with you bro, its almost like 1.7 doesn’t look like it did any upscaling for me. This is a huge issue for everyone because i know almost everyone here wants a 3070, 3080, or 3080 rtx video card which 1.7 allows but everything else to me is worse in 1.7. Now dont get me wrong 1.6 had some issues like sometimes on low quality footage it made artifacts like blotches of paint, but for the most part, the upscales are good with 1.6. With 1.7 i cant see any difference from my original file.

My opinion: Not great for testing. VEAI only does 1/2/4x, so 3x will be 4x first, then scaled to 3x. Means that you are never sure where any problems come from.

I have to mention Gigapixel AI. Compared with it, Video Enhance AI is terrible in handling animation CG.

https://i.ibb.co/8xQXVRZ/VS.jpg

3 Likes

You should reinstall VEAI 1.6.1 and try GaiaCG in that version on that source.

It’s becoming more and more evident that VEAI 1.7.0 is a reboot of the program, with a new engine (i.e., no longer runs on Win7), and new models that haven’t been trained as long as the ones used in 1.6.1. I remember reading in the Facebook beta group a post from a developer that acknowledges that GaiaCG isn’t as good as it was in 1.6.1 because it’s new and needs more time to train.

I don’t think 1.7.0 was really ready for release yet.

1 Like

Unfortunately, 1.7.0 is the only version that supports the 30 series GPUs ):

@mikmod1 Sorry for the late reply, I tried both Theia Detail and Theia Fidelty.

Theia fidelty: I tried various settings with the three parameters and on both versions, but image lacks of fine details and it isn’t in focus. Here’s an example: Gofile - Your all-in-one storage solution

Theia detail: with Theia Detail it outputs a sharpened image at the cost of many fine details, causing a plastic effect. Here’s an example: Gofile - Your all-in-one storage solution

These exaples where made with 1.6.1 and on both models I tried default settings and then changed them to try achieve better results, mostly working on the sharpness and noise slider but image tends to be a bit sharper at the cost of many fine details.
I like Gaia HQ result but it isn’t quite sharpening the image. Is there any chance to upscale keeping Gaia HQ?
Thank you very much for the suggestion!

Edit: I am upscaling those to 4k, and I noticed that when I play a processed episode on a 4k TV, the image becomes in focus and seems to be perfect. Is there any processing done from a smart TV that can compensate the out of focus image or is it in focus because 4k video on 4k television is better than on a FHD?
Thank you!

1 Like

I have AMD RX 460 card with 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM and latest (11.1) driver, plus i7-3770 CPU, 20 GB RAM, and FSP Hyper K PRO 700 power supply.
When converting started, my video card has stopped, get black screen, and need turn off my PC. Please check AMD drivers, because my hardware will crash if use this Video AI. With Intel HD 4000 has no problem, but encoding too slow.

Yes, it’s finer and has less artifacts (lines, or enhanced detail from compression or aliaseffect)

Is there any processing done from a smart TV that can compensate the out of focus image

Most TVs these days include sharpening filters, especially in “cinema” mode. But 4K screens are inherently sharper (not exactly sharper, but seemingly sharper due to the increase in resolution). Remember that video processing is mostly based on tricking the viewer, and a CNN based 4K upscaling should only really work with a 4K screen.

Understood, so it’s normal that it looks better on a 4k TV than a FHD Monitor, right?

The biggest issue on a 1080p is that a 2160p video is necessarily going to be downscaled, a process that could very well ruin the whole enhancement. This can be made worse depending on the kind of algorithm used to do so too.

@axymeus Yes I agree with you, so I found what the problem was!
Thank you very much!

1 Like

Most of the problems i see with VEAI are due to artifacts resulting from pre-enlargement (at least that’s what i now understand).

From there details (hard edges, aliasing effects) are transformed into new details.

I tried Gigapixel AI in the past for de-noising purposes, but I was not satisfied with the results.

I also tried DeNoise AI, but the sharpening was too harsh even with the sharpening set to its minimum value.

Left side original / Right side DeNoise AI

1 Like

I have two requests.

1. Add some halo removal or removal of sharpening artifacts like thick black edges with halos. This is very prevalent in many many video transfers.

2. Allow for Lagarith lossless encoding.

Thanks

i get audio glitches in 1.7.0 . So it seems 1.7.0 has audio issues indeed

You could try by recover the original detail (original detail slider).

That would give also a more organic feeling.

1 Like