Video Enhance AI v1.6.1

It is very helpful as a matter of fact. I didn’t even think about PAL. In Canada it’s NTSC. I’m not sure PAL is supported on my dvd blue ray usb reader. I’ll have to verify.

At this point buying the viavision set is the only way to know for sure. I don’t think I’ll get any better result from any upscaling software, unless I spend a lot of time working on those plugins and scripts. It would take long. Almost every episode has a different quality, some are very noisy as some others are not that bad.

In retrospect, I should have known it would be next to impossible to magically transform a very badly all about the place noisy tv show in a wonderful HD or 4K tv show. Upscaling softwares use algorithms, not magic. Neuron learning is not yet guessing well, it doesn’t differentiate a face from a background. Not for The Outer Limits 1995 :wink:

Thanks again, really appreciated

The program crashes after 11-12 hours of work. From 1.6 and up. 1.5.3 and below works fine. MSI 1060 graphics card.

1 Like

yup. VEAI is unstable as hell as it is right now. Works that takes days breaks after hours or even very close to ending. I’m right at 2 weeks on a encode that should have taken ‘only’ 5 days (still 3 days to go). I was against breaking the project into several files because I’m afraid it drops frames but if it breaks another time it might be the only way.
That’s why I’m hoping they’re working more on stability than on making things “faster” (tbh unless they use tensor cores they not going to make significantly faster anyway)

1 Like

i have converted 27 videos so far using video enhance and the only algorithm i like is Gaia. Second to Gaia is Artemis LQ for motion consistency. However what i dont like about artemis is it looks too much like a blocky painting but i do like the motion. Is there a way topaz where u can combine motion consistency with gaia as another algorithm alternative. Also what i have noticed is for me to get the best look of a video, i have to first downconvert an hd or 4k file to a LOSSLESS 360p using another program prior to upscaling to 8k. if i convert the source directly from 1080p or 4k to 8k, the results do not improve. But when i convert the lossless 360p file to 8k, i see dramatic beautiful differences over the original 1080p or 4k file. I have no idea if its a bug but converting from hd to 8k or 4k sucks but converting from 360p to 4k or 8k is amazing. For this reason in my prework flow i convert to 360p lossless first. You can see some of the many videos i converted from dvd to faux 8k here - YouTube

Add support for Radeon GPUs. Please.

For those who report low GPU load (~30%), look GPU load with another tool that Windows Task Manager. I also have 30% in the Task manager but 100% in Afterburner.

And speed are normal.

VEAI is limited to 2X/4X upscale so I don’t know how you can go from 360p to 8K. It’s in fact 1440p upconvert to 4320p using traditional method if you set custom size. Like choosing 300% is in fact upscaling 400% then downscaled X0.75.
Or are you doing 2 passes ? I tried once and the results were horrible.

I don’t know how he/she is doing it, but I usually do 2 or 3 passes when converting sub-HD to 4k and is either better than or the same as converting directly to 4k.
My workflow for the last projects has been:
– If original file is ‘blocky’: first 100% denoise/deblock
– If original file is lower than 720p: upscale to 720p or 1080p
– upscale to 4k
– finally reencode using NVenc (if VEAI could encode already using H265 would be awesome but since it encodes to a very ‘low efficiency’ H264 profile I see myself in the need of reencoding it to H265 using NVenc)

Could you tell me a good software to reencode to NVenc without losing too much quality? A front end one would be great if you can

Version 1.7.3b (Artemis LQ v6) cannot create a file larger than 27.8 gb and crashes for no reason. Tried it several times on different HDDs.

Are the any plans to EVER fix the color matrix problem with png output?

With png output:

• The gamma bumps down from around 1.00 to .98
  • The color matrix shifts based on a Rec.709 → Rec.601 conversion

The below gifs already bump the gamma up on the VEAI result by a factor of 1.02.

To get the colors to match the source, right now you have to import the image stream into Hybrid using the bt470bg color matrix, which will insert ConvertToYV12(matrix="Rec601") into the Avisynth script, which fixes the problem:

naiaa0v

You also have to use the Levels filter to adjust the gamma by 1.02:

Depending on your playback device, you may need to set the bt709 color matrix flag in your output from Hybrid… it doesn’t change colors, it’s just a flag and may not be necessary:

Ideally, gamma and color matrix in png output from Topaz Video Enhance AI should match the source. Rec.601 is usually used on SD sources, Rec.709 is usually used on HD sources. VEAI seems to be doing a Rec.601->Rec.709 conversion, which will give incorrect colors in the output, unless the user converts them back by some means (as indicated above). The conversion may look better in some cases, but that should be up to the user.

Additionally, if the user does any kind of color manipulation in Hybrid via filters, they may have to set a custom script and insert the appropriate conversion matrix at the correct point in the script if it does not happen automatically (i.e., ConvertToYV24(matrix="Rec601")). This wouldn’t be a concern if the Topaz VEAI output was correct.

2 Likes

Admins, when new version will be released? I want to try beta, pls give me a link on facebook

1 Like

I use Handbrake. Just try playing with the bitrate untill you find a value that’s suitable for yout source and liking. I don’t use the “constant quality” setting, instead use the AVG Bitrate. For 4k videos I usually go for 10mbps - 16mbps depending on the source (but it’s a hit-and-miss anyway)

Just search on Facebook, there is a link in this post where you can apply to be a beta tester …

This error is written to the Windows log when the program stops suddenly:

Имя сбойного приложения: Topaz Video Enhance AI (BETA).exe, версия: 0.0.0.0, метка времени: 0x5f9cc1b8
Имя сбойного модуля: VCRUNTIME140.dll, версия: 14.0.24234.1, метка времени: 0x5a8ba5e6
Код исключения: 0xc0000005
Смещение ошибки: 0x000000000000c387
Идентификатор сбойного процесса: 0x354c
Время запуска сбойного приложения: 0x01d6b26aaec95d05
Путь сбойного приложения: C:\Program Files\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Video Enhance AI (BETA)\Topaz Video Enhance AI (BETA).exe
Путь сбойного модуля: C:\Program Files\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Video Enhance AI (BETA)\VCRUNTIME140.dll
Идентификатор отчета: ffd6b590-3a0a-472f-8576-354c2e8653e1

The program crashes after 11-12 hours of work. From 1.6 and up. 1.5.3 and below works fine. MSI 1060 graphics card.

Please raise a support request at the main website as the 0xc0000005 error is a general windows one and if you have Logs enabled include those also.

1.7.0 adds support for AMD and RTX 3000.
Also greatly improves speed (around 2x comparing to 1.6.1 with my RTX 2070)

yea it allows me to, the scale percentage is 1200percent from 360p to 8k. The key to making it look good however is i first look for a good quality that is dvd or 1080p, then i downscale it to 360p lossless in handbrake denoised and deblocked. This was even tho its 360p its a high bit rate 360p that looks more like 480p or between 480p and 720p.

@jphilip-649517

Hi i found your discussion very interesting.

I am on VEAI 1.8.1 and my findings are that for x200 upscale works better feed the signal to veia.
i have created 2 avs files (One line both)
DGSource("sample.dgi"deinterlace=2) VS
QTGMC(Preset=“Very Slow”, MatchPreset=“Very Slow”, MatchPreset2=“Very Slow”, NoisePreset=“Slower”, InputType=0, SourceMatch=3,Sharpness=0.0 , Lossless=1, NoiseProcess=1,ChromaNoise=True,Denoiser=“dfttest”,DenoiseMC=True,NoiseTR=2,GrainRestore=0.3,NoiseRestore=0.0, NoiseDeint=“Bob”,StabilizeNoise=False)

QTgmc produces more detail, but also a lot more artifacts on direct Artemis MQ x200

Look at the full album to samples