Video Enhance AI v1.5.1

I don’t disagree, but since I always reencode to h.265 anyway there are some advantages to having the output nearly raw, as long as I have disk space. Now obviously the perfect would be an original encoding in h.265 with selectable CRF, but so far that is asking too much, I guess.

1 Like

Would it be worth re-doing a series I just upscaled from 480p to 720p with the previous h.263 codec , to have it use h.264 instead? what kind of benefits does that have?

1 Like

The CRF in the save file has nothing to do with the CRF in FFMPEG. We will try to expose some sort of control over the quality of the h264 next release but we don’t have direct control over the CRF since we don’t actually use ffmpeg for writing the video directly.

2 Likes

That’s excellent news.

1 Like

VEAI still utilizes H.263 according to the developers. They’re working on updating that.

1 Like

Not sure if this has been noted: the setting default values bug where it wouldn’t remember the output format has been fixed. Now, setting default does not remember the model, always dropping back to Theia.

1 Like

Then they have a pretty big bug on their hands, since all the external apps I have are now reporting the output as h264, and developer Matt refers to it as h264 in the post above.

1 Like

@gabriel456541: Unfortunately, with the latest models, I’m going to do several series over again. I had a feeling back then not to put too much work into this, until the models have better refinement. With 2080 Ti, it takes me about 4 hours per 30 minute episode, which is 480p to 2160p. Then re-encode to H.265 in Handbrake, but that only takes 30 minutes.

Thank you I was about to say the same things because pretty much everything here from Media Info to VLC reporting the output in AVC codec.

That is true actually the model will not save it will default back to Theia and you have to select it manually for each video so yes I think it’s a bug.

1 Like

How is the autosave supposed to work? Last night I was about 5 hours, and 12GB, into a process when the system crashed. After a restart I chose the Load Last option, and it loaded the files in the queue, but started processing the crashed file at frame one. I thought it meant that there was some sort of save-and-continue going on so all work would not be lost?

1 Like

Did you saved them as Mp4 or as Pictures ? unfortunatly this option only work for Picture output.

1 Like

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I almost always use MP4. I had developed a practice of doing large videos in segments because of crashes, a practice I’ve had to abandon because the last few versions of VEAI do not precisely begin and end at selected frames (the lost frames at the end have been reported by many, but I’m not sure if others have noted it happens when you do a clip as well). I had hopes that the new autosave would help me out. Note that many, many commercial programs have true autosave, where periodically they output temp files that can be resumed - I had hopes that this was what was happening.

1 Like

Hi

I suggest the chance to export to any lossless video codec:

Possible pure lossless video codecs:

• H264 and H265 with the lossless parameter
  • CorePNG
  • Huffyuv
  • MSU
  • Others

Bye

Finally, they changed to h264 with a high bitrate for better quality. I’m quite happy about that. The previous h263 with low bitrate was terrible. I agree with you about user selectable bitrate, but this is still a nice improvement. Oh, and I’m pretty sure the output bitrate has no relation to rendering time.

3 Likes

that’s good news in switching to h.264!!
Can we set the QP? or Lossless?

4 Likes

Is there a reason on why the output video file is brightened up/more vivid looking? I could probably get rid of that in a video editor but it would be nice to know why it’s happening in the first place.

I have posted about it before… it appears that Video Enhance AI converts everything to Rec. 2020. It actually lowers the gamma slightly.

I have found most of the time, videos look better after processing. But if you really want to convert back to original colors, running a Rec. 2020 to Rec. 709 conversion in AviSynth will probably work, along with a gamma correction of 1.02.

You can use Hybrid with these settings:

3 Likes

Totally thrilled with the updated Artemis-HQ model and improved bitrate, but now I have horrible audio sync problem. I have no idea how to fix this, other than going back to version 1.4.2. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the detailed reply! i’ll look into this :slight_smile: