Video Enhance AI - Help - Old SD Cam Footage Settings

I have an old wedding video that was shot around 2001 on a consumer SD video camera.

I did a full capture of the tape a while ago and it’s 720 × 480 resolution, DV/DVCPRO - NTSC format and it’s interlaced footage.

Based on some stuff I’ve read around I used Apple Compressor to export the video at 50 fps progressive with ProRes 422 HQ at 3840x2160 before feeding it to Enhance AI.

I’ve gone through and tried all the different options and candidly I am not getting results that are that much improved.

There’s no way to attach videos here but I uploaded a clip to Imgur as an pre-example. This is post progressive output as mentioned above.

Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe reduce the pixel size of the video before using VideoEnhance AI to 360 x 240 for example and then try Gaia HQ or Artemies LQ. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not having a lot of luck with this— I’ve exported a progressive version of the video at a smaller size as you suggested but it hasn’t helped VideoEnhance make it much better – I’ve all the various options.

I made some experiments and the most noticeable improvement I got was the removing of the compression artifacts via deblocking and the sharper edges with far less aliasing. The video footage in many sceenes lacks of surface texture detail and that’s where VideoEnhance can’t do magics. Anyway in the later scene with the little boy outside I think the image has noticable more details at least in this scenes. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the ideas…

I will try again using deblocking and edges.

Which AI setting did you use?

Maybe try all Artemies modes and Gaia HQ. I also enlarged the video to 1920 * 1080 for the test.

Thanks, I just updated to the new version that does interlaced video and WOW! It’s pretty amazing. I just did a couple of tests and it looks amazing. I’m doing about 6000 frames to see what it can do but so far, it’s fantastic looking.

I’m using the new setting that specializes in interlaced video and it appears to be working great.

The one thing I recommend for everyone is to do a small test render to determine the interlace order: Top or Bottom.

If it’s the wrong one your render will be glitchy and useless. Render off a few hundre or thousand frames and see.