Video Enhance AI - Current Issues

My computer specs.
Alienware Aurora R8 9th Gen Intel® Core™ i9 9900K (8-Core/16-Thread, 16MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.7GHz on all cores)
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti GDDR6 (Over Clock Ready)
Installed Memory (RAM) 32GB Dual Channel HyperX™ DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz
850W EPA Bronze PSU Liquid Cooled Chassis
Photoshop CC Version 20.0.4 release Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1903
Internet provider Century Link fiber optic Gigabit

I downloaded a 30-day trial. The download and installation went very smoothly with no hiccups. I was curious to see if the improvement was actually noticeable, and of course how long processing would take. I was impressed with the results. As my first test, I took an 8-second clip and ran it through Video Enhance AI. It correctly identified my video card and I set processing to 200. The estimate shown for processing was 10 minutes. It actually took 11 minutes and 15 seconds. This worked out to 1.45 seconds per frame for my machine. Understand, my machine is a rather fast machine and your times could be considerably different.

1 Like

Hi!

My install 30 day Trial, but very slow (not use nvidia gtx 1050 gpu)
CPU use 100% but GPU use 0-1%.

Intel Core i5-4570 (nvidia and cuda driver installed)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
16 GB DDR3-1600 Dual-Channel RAM
2x 500 GB SSD
Windows 10 Pro x64

Video: 12s ETA: 53s
actual time: 1h: 30m

I have had the same issue with GPU not being used even when set in this application or Gigapixel AI. I Currently have a GTX 1080 and a GTX 970 and both cards seems to not be able to run them. However I had messed with the Nvidia control panel and made sure that all Topaz applications are set to use either discreet GPUs and the Video Enhance and Gigapixel AI was able to use the correct GPU. Just make sure to restart the applications after making the changes or it will not work.

The estimated times shown seems like it is actually Hours:Minutes NOT Minutes:Seconds.

I hope this is able to resolve some of the GPU issues.

I use an i7 9700 w/ Geforce RTX 2060 and a 720x480 30 minute video takes about 9 -12 hrs at 400% enhance

Are you planning to introduce a pause function? So that you can pause video processing, play on the computer, and then continue processing the video?

I really hope they add more GPU support soon, my GTX 980Ti should be able to use this software…

I’ve seen others mention that longer previews would help in choosing the processing model, but I’ve found that I prefer to actually produce a few seconds of each model and compare them outside of VEA.

So, the problem is this: Load a video file. Choose a frame range, and build it with a model. Now try to figure out a way to do the same frame range with a different model. I can’t find a way, it will not rebuild a video already built once. You have to trashcan it, reload it, set the frame range again, then choose a new model. Rinse and repeat. Doesn’t seem right to me.

There is a small mark sign in the circle on the done clips. Just click on it to remove this sign and you can now process it again.

Thanks

I have a problem with VEAI crashing (silently goes away) when something else uses a lot of GPU power. For example, in the middle of a long video enhancement if I process a couple of large images with Gigapixel AI, VEAI will usually crash.

Version 1.2.1 (also happened with 1.2.0)
I9-9900 with 64GB, RTX2080Ti not overclocked

1 Like

Hi Emily,
any expected timeframe for the AMD compatibility? Also what would be the minimum requirements there (that is, would it work reasonably on RX 580)?
I would buy the software and would like to get the introductory price offer, however without AMD support, the CPU processing is just too long for any reasonable work.
Thanks

Yeah having the same issues with the program’s stability have two 1070 in sli both water cooled and Ryzen 1700x not the newest of the bunch but still fine. 32GB RAM and NVME 500GB disk.
Oh and newest bios for my board, newest GPU drivers. Works longer when using CPU vs vid and if you do anything else on your machine the program ends and goes silently away corrupting the file it was creating. I paid for the app.

I’m getting reboots when trying to run GPU encoding on my 1080.

I really like this program. I was using it with GPU acceleration on a core i5-6600k and a geforce 1080. Worked perfectly, love the results. I just built a new AMD 3900X system and put the same 1080 video card in there (took it from my old system, it’s the same card). New windows 10 install, updates, BIOS, drivers, everything is fresh and up to date. The new system is completely stable in everything except Video Enhance AI using GPU acceleration. I can use the program all day using CPU, but even with 24 threads it’s 5 times slower than my old system with GPU acceleration. When I try to encode using GPU, it starts working but before it even gets to a progress bar, the computer reboots. I have found no other way to crash this computer (Premiere, gaming, CPU video enhancing) - the system is rock solid all day and all night, unless I run GPU encoding. It worked fine on the old intel system with the same exact video card.

1 Like

Update: The problem is just with the Artemis engine.

I tried swapping out power supply in my system, did not help. Tried switching to the GAIA engine and, surprise, it works fine on Geforce 1080 rendering with the AMD 3900x. But I was using Artemis HQ on my Intel system with the 1080 as it produces far superior results on the footage I’m converting…that still just crashes the entire 3900X AMD system without producing a file when trying to render on the 1080. Very strange. I can’t make the system crash any other way, I don’t think it’s a system stability issue.

To summarize the crash issue:

Video Enhance AI GPU rendering worked perfectly on a Geforce 1080 with an intel i5 6600 system, using every setting I tried. Good performance, good results.

WIth GeForce 1080 on AMD 3900X system, CPU rendering works on all settings (looks good but slow), GPU rendering works on GAIA, but GPU rendering crashes the entire system on Artemis. Of course I was using Artemis.

Nothing is overclocked, everything is stock, cool, tried swapping power supplies…this seems to be a software issue.

Do you guys plan to have a feature to disable the preview panels? Would this speed up the processing?

Just reporting crashing issues (as in cannot run it)
Trying to upscale from a 720p to 4K and the program will crash every single time I try to ‘Start Processing’ .
I’ve tried it multiple times with both GPU and CPU preference.

Alieanware Area-51 R5 Specs:
Intel I9-7980XE
2x NVidea RTX 2080 Ti’s latest drivers (442.92)
64 GB Ram
Running Windows Pro Version 10.0.18362

Running with the Trail version Downloaded today/
I have licenses for all the other AI products and have used them with no problems for a long time including, and especially, AI GigaPixel.

Try VEAI1.1.1 instead, 1.2 is broken

Gigabyte X299 Designare 10G w/ 64GB DDR4 3600
Intel i9-10940X (OC 4.6 GHz)
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA stock

852x480 59.94 ProRes → 1920x1080 59.94

0.11s/frame
GPU rendering on, max vram, no reduce GPU load
~60% CPU load, ~10% GPU load (that’s surprising!)

I have not gotten this software to work in a Z390 mobo dual 1080 Ti setup yet. Crashes before rendering.

You left out one important stat, which is the model. I’m guessing Artemis LQ?