Video Enhance AI Bugs - Source Pixel Aspect Ratios/etc

VEAI has some minor bugs with video sources and output options.

1. Full D1 content (720x480) has a pixel aspect ratio of (8/9) .89 but VEAI (and some other programs too) use 0.91 instead. (Also VEAI calls it a SAR.) (10/11 or 0.91 is for partial D1 which is 704x480).

2. Image sequence output should technically start with frame number 1 as there isn’t really a frame zero in video work. (VEAI uses frame 0-? which is very strange.)

3. Since VEAI does not support variable framerates (in terms of maintaining the same rates), it should probably warn if the source file has VFR. (Likewise it should probably warn if the source is interlaced, which it accepts but doesn’t support properly.)

NOTE: 1.5.3 may have fixed the pixel aspect ratio issue.

I’m a newcomer to Video Enhance AI, with v1.5.3.

I’m trying the “export to tiffs” option on a deinterlaced 23.976 movie trailer, but when I open the image sequence in Apple’s Compressor to export to ProRes, it defaults to 29.97 fps. Changing the frame rate to 23.976 results in a jerky video clip. Any suggestions?

Not exactly a bug but… I found VEAI handles PAL pixel aspect ratio a bit strange. I guess the idea is make it simple for novice users, but after I upscaled my DV footage to HD I found I needed to re-scale it again horizontally, because of the PAL 1.09 aspect ratio. Everything looked a bit too slim.

It’s ok, but I wish there was clear indications about what’s going to happen with pixel ratios, and to have a button to “make pixels square”.

The way things are now, the footage will be re-escaled in edition and probably not as good as VEAI does it.

1 Like