VHS on Dione leaves Moire pattern

Hello everyone,

I would like to convert and upscale VHS tapes, that means de-interlacing has to happen first, so I need to use Dione.

However, Dione can’t handle a pattern which occurs on some VHS tapes, and it is very prevalent in red-orange-colored tones, here is an example image:

This pattern looks like “sand dunes”, wavy lines which flow from the top left to the bottom right of the image.

I tried to get rid of those patterns with other AI modules, but they are rather getting strengthened and enhanced than being removed. So the next best guess is to ask here for an updated Dione module which could handle and remove this pattern. Is this possible?

I find the best results from old footage is to deinterlace/decomb with handbrake first, then use VEAI to do whatever it is you need to do.

No, Handbrake can’t fix this pattern either. It stems from the VHS signal or the capture card, but it seems impossible to properly remove it.

The beginning of the capture starts with an empty blue screen from the VHS recorder, maybe it is possible to capture this as a “dark noise pattern” as it is used in astrophotography, in order to calculate it out?

The “dark noise pattern” idea sounds excellent, but until then, have you tried multi-capture and a median filter? I’ve had good luck with that on VHS captures with old, twitchy tapes. Old original announcement of the Median plugin for Avisynth here: Median() plugin - Doom9's Forum , currently the Median filter for Avisynth+ ( Median - Avisynth wiki ) is what I use, with three (or, sometimes when I’m struck by OCD, five) lined-up captures. Surprisingly effective at removing noise while not hurting detail.

1 Like

Thanks for this! Interesting method. Not sure how I can run it on my Mac, but also it’s hard to tell if this would get rid of the wavy lines, since the VHS signal itself seems to produce it, and every capture of the same tape would contain the same signal noise.

Anyway, thank you and I will look into it!

Could run a VM and Windows on the mac… that’s a long way around, if you don’t have a PC sitting around you could use. Maybe a sympathetic friend would be able to help, there.

If the pattern is actually stable, then yes, it’d be unaffected by using a Median filter… BUT… if it’s REALLY stable, you might be able to use some of the other tools in Avisynth+ to do that “dark noise pattern” with it. As in, capture the clearest, darkest shot (ideally something with a perfectly blank background, like the blue section you were describing) that still has the pattern in it. Use the Avisynth+ tools to remove the background color (Layer - Avisynth wiki ), then using the pattern graphic, you can Overlay (Overlay - Avisynth wiki ) the graphic onto the remaining video with subtract, reducing the strength of the pattern if not removing it altogether.

Mind, that’s… that’s a lot of work. :slight_smile:

1 Like