VHS "Glitch" Fixer For Video Enhancer

New user, first time posting, amazing product.

I’m primarily using this to upscale VHS sources and I’m having spectacular results.

What is the possibility of adding a checkbox that would look for horizontal line/spots glitches that are so often found in VHS recordings? If this is possible for the software to identify, this could be a great feature.

And to clarify, I’m not referring to interlaced lines but actually VHS lines.

Thanks!

3 Likes

the line glitches is commonly known as interlacing. there are many ways to de interlace footage from vhs. handbrake using the yadif filter works good and is user friendly. but theres only one program that can properly deinterlace and thats avisynth using qtgmc which uses scripts and is for more advanced users. however there is a UI version (sort of) its called staxrip and has avisynth with qtgmc built in. but if you go that route you will need to use hand brake after rendering the video with staxrip as sometimes vhs converted to 60fps causes shuddering. using handbrake and setting the frame rate back to 29.97 usually fixes this. hope that helps! welcome btw!

2 Likes

Hi. I’m not referring to deinterlacing. All the software I have already handles that. I’m looking to fix glitches within the video images.

Next time I come across a video with an example I’ll see if I can upload it. Thanks for your reply!

Here’s a file I’m working on now that seems to have these glitches. If this were an important client project, I would bring the file into Photoshop and manually clean these up. Just hoping for a time saving solution. Thanks! :slight_smile:

I guess I can’t post images as I’m a newb, so let me post links to my dropbox…

Example 1
Example 2

no problem hmmm well if you are talking about errors in the tape its self that not likely fixable. you can try a plugin called neatvideo (it requires premier pro or simlar video editing software to use) that can help with noise and some noise and possibly glitches in the tape. good luck!

1 Like

Will do. Thanks for your time!

1 Like

These are errors which occur on the analog side before the capturing. If they occur in only one frame, try some spotremover - head over to the avisynth repository, many filters for this kind of artefact are to be fond there.

If this footage was originally interlaced, using our new deinterlacer model on the original footage might be worth a try. It’s in beta right now. If you’d like you can join our beta group here: Topaz labs video beta testing group - Topaz Discussion Forum

1 Like

Me too. Using PS too but time consuming.

The OP is talking about line dropouts on the tape. As they said it has nothing to do with interlacing.

@lex.deazevedo are the tapes you are processing already digitised or do you still own the actual tapes? I’m asking because fixing dropouts on the output of a consumer VHS is difficult, but if you have access to the tapes you might be able to recapture in the future using a modified VHS player and use Domesday Project’s vhs-decode to digitise the signal. Because vhs-decode is a software decoder it knows where the dropouts are, and there is experimental support for using image inpainting to reconstruct dropped lines:

Do you have a RF Capture setup? Any capture-device tips besides the original DD?

I don’t personally, no. The only card I have that captures RF is an old AVerMedia C027 but it’s by far not the optimal capture device for VHS. In the VideoHelp thread I linked you can see what kind of cards people are modifying to get the best raw capture for vhs-decode. It’s also worth noting that although vhs-decode has the aforementioned dropout inpainting, in general image quality is not up to the same level as a prosumer or professional edit deck.

I am fully aware of the discussions about the doomsday decoders and its uses :slight_smile: I was looking for someone actually using a device (Yes, I know the Facebook groups…).

You are using an avermdiea C027 for RF Capture? How so? Did you modifiy it? To not misunderstand each other: I am talking about capturing the raw RF Signal from the video-heads (not RF modulated TV Signal or Composite or S-Video or whatever).

Oh in that case, no. I haven’t attempted any VHS captures myself recently.

Neat Video would fix problems like that for you prior to sending it to VEAI. It has a filter for lines and dots. Works well.

yes it works well but according to its capture, neat video is not able to repair the images at this point … :frowning: