VHS deinterlacing

What is the best option to deinterlace old VHS tapes?

My workflow is as follows:

Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U TBC ON > S-Video out > IO GV-USB2 > Virtual Dub.

When I take the raw AVI file into Topaz and select deinterlace and the Dione TV model it looks almost like cartoon characters with smoothed out edges. Examples attached

I found that deinterlacing with Hybrid on a slower preset / lossless compression, yields best results when processing in TVAI after. I don’t use TVAI built-in deinterlacing function.
but based on your samples you posted above, it seems the issue you having is the colors are to vibrant. TVAI seems to be doing a decent job upscaling perse.

I would suggest you to use Hybrid to deinterlace you source (lossless compression), then take those videos and color grade them to a more realistic color spectrum, export them as lossless compression, then upscale them using Dione TV (or Iris, or any other AI you wish trying)

1 Like

The best option is to use a different program. People forget that TVAI is not a video editor. Serious pre-processing on the source file should be done in an actual video editor before transferring the file to TVAI for upscaling or enhancement.