VEAI with the Intel Arc A770

You can see in the two screenshots above, CPU usage is absolutely pegged at 100%. The Arc A770 GPU is comparatively putting in very little work.

You can’t go by Task Manager - it doesn’t report A770 performance accurately - not exactly sure what it reports. Hit ALT + O and look at the rendering activity in Intel Arc Control. Mine is almost always at around 40% rendering utilization - but Task Manager reports 10-20%. if I’m interpolating using Chronos or Apollo, rendering is around 80% according to Arc Control.

Someone on reddit said that Version 2.6.4 (using driver 4125) was the last version that uses Hypercompute - the newer version uses 3D rendering. I don’t know if that’s accurate or not, but it’s something to look into.

Likewise, Intel Arc Control reports CPU utilization weird - very frustrating.

Unfortunately, Arc Control refuses to open for me when I have the iGPU enabled in my BIOS. I can pull up the overlay, but it’s doesn’t display any data. I even verified the primary GPU selected in my BIOS is PCIe instead of the iGPU, and it is. I wish I could use it as I’d like to be able to OC the A770 and access the better monitoring, but it’s just really poor software at the moment.

But either way, the A770’s usage & the upscaling performance is currently way less important to me compared to the stability issues. Topaz Video AI regularly gives me the “Unknown error” error message when a preview / export takes too long, so even if it was a bit faster it would still be pretty much unusable.

I do remember seeing anything before 11th gen (maybe 10th gen), you have to turn the iGPU off to use with the A770. These numbers are pretty low compared to mine. I always used to keep it enabled in the past for the quicksync encoder and just to have an extra GPU to play videos on while my dGPU was in use, but with the Arc series, the only advantage you have with the iGPU is hyper-encode and an extra gpu to decode in video editors - you don’t have those with 10th gen and before, so there isn’t much reason to keep the iGPU enabled with Arc which has all the encoders anyway. I think your only avail is to disable the UHD 630. The Unknown errors still show up, but are more hit or miss. I found certain workloads are successful, and others are not. Topaz did say that the next beta driver will give us the fix to this, so just sit tight, and I can confirm that driver version 4125 with Topaz VEAI 3.1.6 works without any issue, though it’s a touch slower than the new ones.

If I disable the iGPU, starting a preview or export inside of Topaz Video AI causes the video driver to crash entirely. This is the only way I can even remotely use the software, otherwise I’d already have it disabled.

Topaz did say that the next beta driver will give us the fix to this

They specifically linked to driver 4311 (which is what I am currently running) and asked for people to test it and report back issues, which is exactly what I did.
https://community.topazlabs.com/t/intel-arc-performance-drop-on-video-enhance-ai-2-6-4/42717/14?u=belleaerni

While I appreciate that you are trying to tell me possibly working combinations, you don’t need to give me advice for TVIA. I made a comment here to provide my feedback and experience with the latest drivers and offer any testing to the Topaz team if necessary. In the meantime, I am perfectly okay waiting for an update on the situation and the important thing to me is that Topaz is aware of the current situation for people and that they are working on a fix with Intel, which they are.

You do understand 2.6.4 is EOL ?
Topaz will provide information to Intel for their driver but wont be updating TVEAI.

If you read my original post, I am using v3.2.2.

Hello, is the fix intended to be for Video AI 2.x or 3.x?
I couldn’t help but noticed it’s not working correctly on 2.x for @XBrav and I myself am still seeing plenty of issues when running version 3.2.2 and the 4311 beta driver from intel.

I’ve read your first post and the title of the thread !!!

2 Likes

Yeah, maybe you should correct the title as it is misleading on the version of AI you are using.
if piggy back on another person’s post, you should expect people to get confused on the version.
anyway, thanks for sharing your input of the situation.

Sorry for causing you any confusion. I came here from a post on r/IntelArc and I only meant to ask the Topaz team what version of Topaz Video AI was supposedly fixed, since it clearly didn’t work right for the original creator of this thread and I was still seeing issues with v3.

Take care :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi @tony.topazlabs - I did try this driver as soon as it was posted on line. I am still getting the same “unknown error” that I’ve been getting this whole time. 2/3 renders fail, but for some reason, some renders are successful. I sent a more detailed response to @ida.topazlabs last week. I await Intel’s next driver posting.

1 Like

no, it wasn’t fixed. In fact, Intel version 4311 actually lists Topaz VEAI as a known issue. I have an open ticket with Topaz, and the CSR told me “I was informed that Intel and our team have identified the issue and there is currently a driver fix that is in the final stages of preparation for release. This bug affects Topaz Video AI as well as any other program that relies on the GPU to decode videos, including Davinci Resolve.” That was sent several days after 4311 posted and Intel listed Topaz as a known issue. We are just waiting now for Intel to drop another driver.

2 Likes

In the exact same boat. Hopefully a new intel drivers comes soon!

1 Like

I’ve tried all the new versions, both of VEAI and Intel drivers, still crashing. I’m sticking with v3.1.8 and Intel drivers 4125, along with the replacement of the OpenVino - works great, but only 1 process at at time. I can queue them all up, but trying to do 2 or more crashes it too. Here I’m doing a upscale from 712x472 to 1920x1080 and getting about 17-18 fps.

1 Like

I will try this method and hopefully it works. Been so long now :(. Thanks for letting us know.

Just tried with the new intel driver, version 4369 and the new VEAI version 3.2.6. Still crashes with an unknown error. This was upscaling a single process from 720p to 1080p. In the past, I have had success upscaling 480p to 1080p, but the 720p process crashes every time.

logs attached
logsForSupport.tar.gz (255.7 KB)

I know you are all awaiting a magic fix in an upcoming Intel driver, but Intel always insists it takes 3-6 months for a new driver to roll out, so hopefully in about 2 months that driver will show up if we are lucky. If it’s a beta driver, it may show up early. The latest driver still shows that Topaz VEAI has problems in its release notes.

Yes, unfortunately, the “fix” has not proven to be a fix.

We are working closely with Intel and will update y’all when any new information is available.

Any updates on this?

Not at this time :frowning:

I just started using 2 ARC A770s, first with a Ubuntu beta that seemed really promising, until it wasn’t anymore. So I switched back to Windows with 3.5.

both GPUs selected just sends both GPUs and CPU to 100% and stalls the render. 1 GPU selected works but judging by the GPU usage reported by GPU-Z you would think it’s not using the GPU at all, but it is. AMD CPUs (5900x) do not have the iGPU stuff that Intel video stuff that works well in certain editing programs. Selecting CPU only is like a 2.5second/frame render. Selecting a single GPU seems to use no resources on the GPU but it becomes a 0.40second/frame render (1080P x1) and it only uses system RAM, it uses no VRAM at all.

So for whatever reason this thing seems to run like an Intel iGPU on Topaz but the thing is that speed is pretty much equivalent to one of the the single 1080ti’s I was using before. If it actually used the GPU like a GPU let alone using both of them properly, I think this thing would smoke. For the price of these cards they’d be a Topaz game changer.

I have no idea why I can’t get it to work properly anymore but when I first had Topaz running on Ubuntu and utilizing both cards I was doing 2 Gaia SD x1 renders at 0.04seconds/frame…that’s pretty good. Unfortunately it stopped working right before I could really test it.

This is a single GPU benchmark with 1 GPU selected and basically sitting there seemingly doing nothing

Topaz Video AI  v3.5.0
System Information
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor              31.924 GB
GPU: Intel(R) Arc(TM) A770 Graphics  15.875 GB
Processing Settings
device: 1 vram: 0.8 instances: 0
Input Resolution: 1920x1080
Benchmark Results
Artemis		1X: 	06.36 fps 	2X: 	03.51 fps 	4X: 	01.15 fps 	
Iris		1X: 	05.37 fps 	2X: 	03.26 fps 	4X: 	01.07 fps 	
Proteus		1X: 	05.09 fps 	2X: 	02.91 fps 	4X: 	00.98 fps 	
Gaia		1X: 	04.14 fps 	2X: 	02.80 fps 	4X: 	01.80 fps 	
Nyx		1X: 	02.99 fps 	
4X Slowmo		Apollo: 	06.01 fps 	APFast: 	17.39 fps 	Chronos: 	04.86 fps 	CHFast: 	07.56 fps 	

“All GPUs” selected just sends 1 GPU to 100% and has to be stopped.

This is the CPU only benchmark:

Topaz Video AI  v3.5.0
System Information
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor              31.924 GB
Processing Settings
device: -1 vram: 0.8 instances: 0
Input Resolution: 1920x1080
Benchmark Results
Artemis		1X: 	00.52 fps 	2X: 	00.35 fps 	4X: 	ERR fps 	
Iris		1X: 	00.63 fps 	2X: 	00.36 fps 	4X: 	00.11 fps 	
Proteus		1X: 	00.51 fps 	2X: 	00.34 fps 	4X: 	00.15 fps 	
Gaia		1X: 	00.18 fps 	2X: 	00.13 fps 	4X: 	00.10 fps 	
Nyx		1X: 	00.23 fps 	
4X Slowmo		Apollo: 	00.52 fps 	APFast: 	02.69 fps 	Chronos: 	00.36 fps 	CHFast: 	00.63 fps 	

So Topaz is definately not just using the CPU, but the GPU isn’t being used very effectively