VEAI Performance

I think it would be convenient if VEAI did just pass through other streams from the source file, but I think VEAI should be considered a piece of a workflow, it doesn’t replace other tooling. Personally, I’m only using lossless/PNG output option (where audio and other streams are irrelevant anyway) because

1 - You have minimal control over the parameters used for the h264 encodes VEAI creates.
2 - There are no other codecs (like h.265) supported
3 - Resuming a failed process is very easy with single-image output - this comes up a lot since the encodes take days sometimes!

So I’ve just created a simple script that uses ffmpeg to encode the image stream from VEAI to my desired format, and muxes in the other streams. I can configure the encode exactly how i want.

Honestly I’m OK with this. I would rather that VEAI spent their development energy on improving the core product rather than trying to become a frontend for ffmpeg.

1 Like

The plan is to make the VRAM setting fit the GPU, so if you select Max it will use all the VRAM if necessary. To achieve this it requires lot of calibration and lots of people running the alpha benchmarks returning the results. There are significant variations in VRAM usage based on model, scale, device, driver version, optimizations used etc. Once Microsoft fixes few of the bugs in DirectML we will be moving towards a more device specific memory setting.

1 Like

That would be great for a future solution. My solution was the short term, while we wait.

DirectML is owned/maintained by Microsoft. It uses hardware features via the drivers provided by Nvidia, Intel and AMD. As long as the drivers provide feature support via DirectX 12 and Microsoft optimizes for it the performance will be good.

Concerning performance on Mac platform …
I’ve noticed that on my iMac Pro, with external gpu box, the video cards are not even ‘addressed’ at 20%!
My preferences are set to ‘use all gpu’ and all on max, but it seems that these cards are not set to max performance inside the app!
Can this be looked into please? Is this normal?
Thanks for feedback, much appreciated!

Where is these alpha benchmarks? I might do it myself.

1 Like

I don’t know if anyone has noticed, the Pro drivers from AMD can also be used with the Radeons, so far no Pro drivers have been released for the 6XXX cards because the corresponding version of the Pro cards is missing.

What’s the point?

As a general rule, higher stability.

Wanted to inquire on how it’s going with getting usage out of the additional tensor cores found in RTX 30 GPU’s.
And while likely not ideal for AMD users, if there were models being tested to take as much performance as they can out of tensorflow?

With current tests, even in their unoptimized states an RTX card is 4-5x faster than a GTX card. But that’s only a little faster than if the cards had continued to use CUDA with a 3080 having 3-4x more CUDA cores than a 1080.

So I’m hoping there’s more performance to be had with tensor even with the RTX 20 series cards.

1 Like

First, GTX does not have faster CUDA cores. Or just don’t have enough CUDA at all.
Second, I think for DirectML, tensor cores are faster than CUDA. Also tensor cores are always faster than CUDA cores.

I never said GTX had faster CUDA cores.

DirectML is debatable. It brings support for AMD cards which perform remarkably well. But originally it HURT the performance on GTX cards and only in recent versions has it been normalized to give the same performance GTX originally had on CUDA.

Tensor cores are obviously faster since they’re made for such a workload. But at present VEAI’s tensor performance is lacking. They’ve integrated the technology but haven’t optimized it. And my original post was asking about improvements to the technology for specifically RTX 30 series cards. If you read the original post of this entire thread then you should know that an RTX 30 series card performs exactly the same as an RTX 20 series card due to not being able to utilize the additional tensor cores provided in Ampere.

2 Likes

Yes. I saw it. But as Topaz developers explained that it will take months for the RTX 3000 series. I guess it’s hard for them to get one on hands maybe?
Besides that, they sacrified the performance of GTX to boost all other cards as well. But because DirectML is not yet optimized by Microsoft, they’re still waiting for them. Then you will see performance improved. They all said that in the previous posts.

Is there a way to check whether VEAI is actually using my GPU or not? in Task manager on windows 10 I can see CPU very high and GPU at zero when running VEAI. I have GPU selected in VEAI to use,
Nvidia GTX 1070. Windows 10, 32GB Ram

1 Like

never mind. I found GPU-Z monitoring tool to check the behaviour of my GPU. Seems ok, Task manager / performance monitor doesnt seems to see the right values

Press at Performance then you will see.

Any 1 with a RX 5XXX and or RX 6XXX here that could test if that GPU is stuttering if you run more than one instance of VEAI + Gigapixel + a Stream on YT.

I realy like to know how good Navi is at handling more than one compute work.

I did test a Radeon Pro VII in November with unmature drivers and it wasn’t able to handle Denoise + Gigapixel + photoshop + Capture One and a stream at once, it did stutter a lot.

The RTX 5000 besides did.

I’m considering this. Be good to see your results.

I render out a large file output then scale it down using handbrake in H265 then add in the original audio or convert it to AAC

I’ve just had a play around myself and it seems my GPU gets about 39% usage - its mostly on the CPU, so at this point i’m not sure the software is worth the cost if its just so inconsistent and they shift blame everywhere else…

Anyway, I’m on an RTX 3090 too, liquid cooled, along with an i9-9900K @5GHz, yet strangely i get 0.02-0.07 frames/sec… A 25:51 video taking 54 minutes to process at a resolution of just 1088x704 with a HUGE file size after, plus the whole 96kbps audio problem… It can’t be that hard to add a drop-down box so we can select 128 or more, can it? :stuck_out_tongue: The whole reason i wanted this software to be good was to not need 4 or 5 different applications and loads of messing around just to get everything to work! Almost seems pointless if i have to still use ffmpeg, handbrake and so forth… Far from being a front-end to those, it’d at least be nice for it to have some control and do some of this on the users behalf - that would speed up render times significantly not having to spend so long getting ready to render! Haha…

I must admit though the result was quite impressive, even with the worse audio! Can be seen here: Secret Life Of Machines 106 The Television 2 00x 1088x704 alq 12 - YouTube and hopefully i don’t get shot for copyright…

2 Likes

Noob question: As long as a card has CUDA or DirectML support, VEAI will work with it, yes? How far back WRT CUDA or DirectML (since older cards will probably not be supported on new CUDA or DirectML releases)?

I’m thinking of A100 or old Tesla cards, since graphics cards are so scarce at the moment.

I read elsewhere here that eGPUs are supported, but performance is not that great (but that could have been an older VEAI release). Linux support would be nice. Any render farms supporting VEAI?