Various models in VEAI producing vertical line artifacts

Several models in VEAI are producing vertical line artifacts with some videos. Artemis (all flavors) and Dione (all flavors) sometimes produce the following with standard definition video:

vert1 vert2

The left picture is the clothing on a woman’s arm. The vertical striping happens mostly on the red clothing, but traces of it can be seen away from the clothing.

The right picture is of the board in front of some piano keys. Note that the stripes blend into the keys.

About 30% of the SD upscales I try run into this issue. I don’t know any workarounds or fixes. I’ve have two different boxes with VEAI and it happens the same with both. I’ve tried CPU only mode with no change.

I’ve only run VEAI 1.2.0, 1.6.1, 1.8.0 and 2.3. The issue is present in 1.8.0 and 2.3. Can anyone else confirm seeing the issue?

Could the issue be caused by my capture card? These videos are from a Pioneer Laserdisc player and a S-VHS deck with a TBC to a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1150 capture card, with Virtualdub 1.8.7 and Huffyuv 2.1.1. The captures have no dropped frames or sync issues but I wonder if there is a design flaw causing a noise pattern of vertical strips when certain colors are encountered.

If I look carefully at the raw captured video (before VEAI), I can see faint vertical striping in the same places that VEAI is showing them. As if VEAI is amplifying defects in the source video during upscale. Possible?

I’m currently research other capture solutions on digitalfaq forums and videohelp forums. It seems the highest quality was with the later ATI AIW cards and Matrox G400-TV (2002-2005 era). I used to have a G400-TV that gave excellent captures, but it failed around 2015. There are no reports of vertical stripes with any device.

1 Like

I think you answered your own question.

You see faint vertical striping prior to running the video through VEAI. That is your problem. One would think it would try to amplify anything that would like like a texture. I would use a more professional capture device.