Preserve Text Issue | v2.4.1

[Please describe your issue here. Try to include logs (Help → Logging) and add screenshots if necessary.]

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Load image
  2. Following Autopilot, Add Enhancement {Preserve Text}
  3. Make {Selection}… Click {Close} in sub-panel
    4.) Preview Updates

Text is unreadable on some images. I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest this is taking place due to upscale processing taking place last. This version is unusable. In addition, the ‘new’ UI takes twice as long to fine tune any image.

Reverting back to a previous version. (BTW, on the main website homepage under {Downloads}, ‘previous versions’ of Topaz Photo AI are listed on a link, but the only version displayed is version 1.3.12 for MacOS 10.15 compatibility. It was necessary to read through many blog pages to discover the ‘community’ downloads section.)

(Why is v. 2.4.1 considered a ‘dot release’? Everything about the product operation and processing has changed dramatically. This is somewhat disingenuous, leading users to think there are bug fixes or an added feature.

Topaz 2.4.1 Text Preservation Flaw

Topaz Photo AI v.2.3.2 Text Preservation Example

Topaz Photo AI [v2.4.1] on [Windows 10]

4 Likes

Same issue for me :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

And me as well!

We have received some feedback along with this thread about this. Our developers are currently working on the Preserve Text feature for our future releases.

2 Likes

The next TPAI update will solve this bug?? @john.topazlabs

This was not fixed in the most recent update for v2.4.2; however, our developers are working on it and planning for a fix in one of the next updates.

2 Likes

No matter how much I adjusted “Preserve text,” Photo AI still made it look more like Greek Hieroglyphics or something out of STAR WARS than English.

3 Likes

Text Preservation hasn’t been useful since 2.3.1 or 2.3.2. It continually leaves text all scrunched up and cryptic looking. Some times it will do better with larger text but if there is multiple instances of text in the image, one or more always ruin the result. Back in 2.3.1 or 2.3.2 (can’t remember - maybe both, it was working well and pretty consistent and if there were issues I could select the whole image and that would usually take care of it. But everything after 2.3.1 / 2.3.2 is unusable. What I have resorted to doing is before I go to TPAI, I create a new layer, run TPAI without the Text preservation and then bring the layer back into my editor and create a mask and brush out the text that TPAI ruined. I thought that this is what TPAI was suppose to be doing by offering the TPAI brush to cover the areas of text I didn’t want touched, but it seems like TPAI is running some sort of procedure on the text. I’m not sure if I’ve seen anyone else mention this but it mainly happens due to the Denoise Module. If I’m just sharpening or recovering faces it is not to bad but Denoise ruins it 90% of the time. Yep. I tried the Low Res and Noisy options. I’ve tried changing the strength. I’ve tried to do it and undo it and do it again. I’ve tried to do it more than once over the top of itself. No matter what I try the text comes back looking horrible and it was working well back in 2.3.1 / 2.3.2 - not perfect, but 80+% better than now. I know there are a hundred and one things you guys have to do to make this work right and I’ve been in software development for years and understand compatibility issues and fix one thing and break another, but if you could figure out how to incorporate what was working in Text Preservation for 2.3.1 / 2.3.2 that would be a huge win for TPAI, because this TEXT Preservation stuff is a game changer as to whether TPAI can stay valid. Like I mentioned at the top, maybe offer a straight basic masking option that the user can brush over text areas that won’t be affected by any other TPAI processing. I’m rooting for you guys, because your ideas and software are meeting photographers needs and I want to see this be a win/win situation for everyone. Thanks for considering my suggestions!

1 Like

Several months ago, “Preserve Text” in Photo AI used to do that. Since then, no matter what I try — including carefully selecting the text in “Add Enhancement → Preserve Text,” when I apply “Remove Noise” to my photos, the text changes from somewhat blurry but still identifiable letters in English with straight lines, into something that looks more like Klingon, with wavy lines and blocks that no longer look consistently solid.

1. Open a noisy photo that includes text in Photo AI
  2. Let it do what it does automatically.
  3. In Add Enhancement select “Remove Noise,” because the AI did not do so very well.
  4. Try unsuccessfully to preserve the text by opening “Preserve Text” and selecting the text that you want excluded. That seems to do nothing.
  5. I even tried to negatively select the text in “Remove Noise,” but that did not undo the Klingonification of the text either.
    The text looks so bad that I cannot use those images from Photo AI. Instead I have no choice but to edit those photos using the tools in Lightroom Classic.

Topaz Photo AI [v1.x.x] on [Windows/Mac]

Preserve Text hasn’t worked in TPAI since the 2.4.x releases, and I don’t think they’ve given any sort of ETA for a fix.

1 Like

Here are screen captures showing the problem.The text on the left is the original. The text on the right is what happens after Topaz Photo AI and then “Preserve Text” (various settings) is applied. Has Topaz Labs quit working on this problem, or are any photos with text considered unimportant???

2 Likes

Preserve text does not work correctly. Text look approximately the same with and without it. Both AI model Low Resolution and Noisy are unsatisfactory.

Always when used.

Topaz Photo AI [v1.x.x] on [Windows/Mac]

1 Like

Let’s try updating you to the most recent version release to see if this resolves the issue.

Please make sure you’ve also turned off any firewall, VPN, or proxy that may be on your computer. These are known to block the installation. Also, make sure there are no settings or configurations in your OS system that could interfere.

Try using the appropriate OS system link to update:

If you are still experiencing problems, please reach out to us at the following link:

Topaz Labs | Support Page

I reverted to 2.3.2 and it works better for me.

1 Like

Same here. Preserve text is simply not working as it should in 2.4.2.