Upscale 4:3 interlaced DVD's?

Hi
I’m trying to upscale 4:3 interlaced DVD’s using Topzas AI Video. VEAI can turn video into TIFF images but I lose the black bars giving me a resolution of 1440x1080. Also it doubles the framerate from 25 to 50. I would like to author these DVD’s to Blu-ray

How do I drop the framerate and add the black bars so that I meet Blu-ray compatibility?
Could you recommend some software?
I’ve tried experimenting with StaxRip, QTGMC and FFmpeg with limited success.

My options seem to be:
1280x720 at 50fps
1920x1080 at 50fps interlaced
1920x1080 at 25fps

I tried FFmpeg with this code but was told it was not Blu-ray compatibility

ffmpeg -r 50…00 -f image1 -s 1440x1080 -i %06d.tiff -vcdec libx264 crf 10 -pix_fmt yuv420p

This is the link I’m using as a reference

This should be simple I dont understand why it is not.
Upscale 4:3, adjust framerate, author to blu ray. This is really deppressing. I was looking forward to upscaling my obsolete DVD’s. A distraction during lockdown.

I don’t understand how to make this happen. What does BD Rebuilder do? Does it add borders? Change framerates. Is tsMuxer the same?

What about other software like davinci resolvei, DVD Architect Studio or TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6

I’ve had some luck with VirtualDub2

Thanks for any help

hi i don’t know what version of the software you are using
but topaz added the option to convert the file directly to video using mp4 codec or apple pro res codec
you also have the option keep the audio

i know what you are saying about double the frame rate because i tried that AI MODEL
unfortunately since it doubles the frame rate, it also gets the audio out of sync
it does look nice but the problem with the audio it was a killer for me

i tried and tested all others AI MODELS and i came out with that it seems to be the best possible solution, it looks nice plus the audio is not out of sync

i’m also doing the same thing, fixing my dvds to a much better looking upscale, clean without noise version

your method might be different and you might use other apps
but what i do is a rip the dvd with dvdfab, full disc

then i use dvdfab dvdripper and extract only the movie or the episodes if is a dvd series
i use vob passthrough option

it doesn’t re encode the file, is lossless and very fast
then i load that file in VEAI and i use these settings
this is using the latest VEAI version 2.0

INPUT
AI MODEL PICKER

INPUT VIDEO = LOW
INPUT TYPE = INTERLACE
COMPUTER GENERATED = YES

OUTPUT
ARTEMIS HIGH QUALITY

SIZING
SELECT 1080P UNCHECK CROP TO FILL FRAME

GRAIN AMOUNT 1.0
GRAIN SIZE 1.0

MOV
KEEP AUDIO

try that and let me know how it works for you
you can also use MP4 instead of MOV
but since you want to convert the file back to BLURAY
then is better to have a file that is not heavily compress
so the final file looks much better

keep in mind that you might end up with a file around 120 to 200 gigs
depending on the length of the movie

but once you convert that file to bluray then you can delete the file taking all that space in your dive

hope you understand my english
best of luck

i rip the movie to a folder on my documents using dvd fab
then remove the dvd disc from the dvd drive and work with the dvd folder that i just ripped to my documents

what i do is, i rip the movies first then when i finished doing all the ripping then i moved to the passthrough step

once i’m done with that then i can keep the dvd files on a storage hard drive
you can delete them if you want to
is really up to you
but since i have a few hard drives i decided to keep the dvds already rip
so i have them as a spare back up just in case

then you do the work with the passthrough files
that are really vob files

since i have many dvd series
i put all of the episodes inside a folder for each series then work from there

once you learn you see it will be easy
you just need the right tools and time
upscaling will take time

a clean 1080p file looks much better than a regular full of noise 720x480 file

i rip all the episodes at once for each disc going into dvdfab choose other titles
you can select all of the episodes at once or just the main movie
it will not merge them into single files
it will rip them in separate or individual files
the way episodes should be

the same can be done inside VEAI
you can load some videos and let the computer do the work
when you go to bed or when you go to work
you don’t have to do each movie or episode one by one
you can let the computer do a few each time at once
saving you time

best of luck

Just deinterlace with Handbrake first, and then use VEAI normally.

Not 100% clear what you want to achieve. Plenty of blu ray films have black borders, but if you simply want to lose them, then Topaz has a “crop to fill frame” option which will do it.

To deinterlace and upscale your source video, Topaz now has 3 profiles: Dione Interlaced V2, Dione Interlaced Digital Video V2, and Dione Interlaced TV V2. The first, Dione Interlaced V2, will not double your frame rate and opting to enhance using this profile with MP4 as the output will not interfere with audio sync.

The other Dione profiles both double the frame rate (as part of deinterlacing) and may interfere with audio sync. I found they do. However, the MP4 video stream (images) will retain the original length, so what I do is to split the source into video and audio, enhance the source with Topaz with the “Keep Audio” option unchecked, then add the audio to the output video.

It sounds complicated, but it’s quite easy. To split the source video, as your source is DVD (so probably MPEG2) something like the free version of TMPGenc is ideal (File - MPEG Tools - Simple de-multiplex). It only takes a few seconds and gives you a video stream and an audio stream. After you’ve enhanced the original, then something like AVIDEMUX, also free, will remux (multiplex) your enhanced video and the audio stream.

To author a blu ray disc, you’re going to need a blu ray authoring tool. I assume you have one? If you don’t then there are some available for free. I don’t do this; my interests are entirely the reverse (producing files for PLEX), but a search online should throw some up. Plus there are plenty of pay-for offerings such as Pegasus (TMPGEnc authoring) which you mentioned yourself.

You asked about BD Rebuilder. This is designed to shrink pre-existing blu rays and blu ray files for burning to DVD (or smaller blu ray). It can preserve the whole structure or just the main feature(s), and it can produce blu ray format or AVCHD.

2 Likes

Hi
Thamk you for such a kind and helpful response. I’m trying to turn my video into Tiff images. That way when I encode them I can use a high quality encoder. I ony want to encode once.
The black bars are removed when I create Tiff images so I get a resolution of 1440x1080. I intend to add the sound later. Im aiming for 1920x1080 at 25fps with black bars inserted.
What is the best method and software to make this happen.
Thanks

OK, I’ve re-read the thread and I think I’m a lot clearer on what you’re after. I imagine you’re using Topaz to create the TIFFs using a deinterlace profile (DIONE), with 100% or 200% specified for the output. Topaz then builds TIFF files based on the native resolution of the frames in your source. This is when the black bars are lost. A different approach would be to specify the resolution you are aiming for, 1920x1080, making sure NOT to check the “crop to fill frame” option. This will give you TIFF files at a standard Blu Ray HD resolution with the black bars included.

In addition, if you use the Dione Interlaced V2 profile, you will retain 25 fps. I have had very good results using this profile for MP4 output.

Whatever way you go, as long as you produce image files as your output, you will have to find a way to stitch the images into a video. I know that Photoshop is often used, but I don’t have it, so I can’t comment on how useful it is. My preference would be to use FFMPEG. FFMPEG is the basis for countless open source, freeware, and professional editing suites. It’s even part of the Topaz distribution so it can’t be that bad.

This brings me to a problem. Are you happy to lose a bit of quality? I think the answer has to be yes, because otherwise your final video from combined TIFFs is going to be enormous. For example, I tried a little experiment with one episode of the 70s TV Series Porterhouse Blue (PAL mpeg 2). Each TIFF is 5.94 MB and there are 76799 frames in the episode - that would be 445.5 GB without some serious compression.

Topaz uses H264 for its MP4 output, so I tried:

ffmpeg -framerate 25 -i %06d.tif -vcodec libx264 -profile:v high444 -refs 16 -crf 0 -preset ultrafast output.mkv

This produces a decent high quality output, but to be honest, it’s probably still too big. It might be worth looking at the -profile:v high444 and -crf 0 keywords as these are the ones that cause “lossless” encoding. In particular -crf 0 is seldom used. The default is 23 and values from 17 to 19 are more common for very high quality encodes. Have a read around the wiki:Encode/H.264 – FFmpeg

That’s not a complete answer, but I hope it’s some use.

hi, i have old videos in sd avi. I make edits with vegas pro, there is dione digital video which deinterlaces well, just like dione tv (with the black borders attenuated) but the problem is that it makes a problem of flickering, especially on blacks, we can correct it with neatvideo by placing the temporal flicking slider fully only it makes ugly once there is movement … i have tried everything, currently i am already applying some neatvideo and magik sharp on my basic video, I produce it in lossless avi with new interlacing, which gives me better results with dione digital video. there’s just this flickering problem that makes me have a hard time …

There are a few things that can cause flicker, but a major change of frame rate might - also deinterlacing a video that isn’t actually interlaced to start with.

hi, yes I know, in fact with vegas pro I use the gpu to automatically deinterlace my basic videos because it is vegas which deinterlaces the best (better than virtualdub, premiere, magix video deluxe, handbreak etc) and I render my video in interlaced having to apply a slight reduction of noise so that it is more to take while taking dione digital video with topaz. Only I tried everything in terms of frequencies, dione digital video deinterlaces very well without flickering and without pixel fart but having checked with vegas “avoid interlacing flicker” and this, even with magix video deluxe. This option brings me back to 25 fps, if I put 50 fps back in the project behind, every other image is the same so the fluidity is not great for all that … On the other hand without checking to avoid the interlacing flicker, there it always deinterlaces well without pixel fart but it gives me this flicker on the movements and on the blacks, which forces me to push the local flicking with neatvideo, which consequently makes all the movements ugly.
I have tried everything, in avi, mp4 etc … miraculously, with magix video deluxe, when I render in the same way as vegas, I manage to keep the fluidity without flickering after the passage of topaz only it deinterlaces a little less although vegas, still with some staircase effects on the black borders.

Thank you all for the help most kind.

1 Like