Unable to play H.264 files on my TV

Only 1 hour left for my current render. Then I will output to an .mkv too, with H264. Stay tuned. :slight_smile:

Okay, thank you for your kindness and patience.
In the meantime, Iā€™ve found software that seems to successfully change the level of H.264.
It is ā€œH264 Level Editorā€. I donā€™t know if itā€™s reliable, but thanks to it, the Topaz encodings are again readable on my television, which confirms that it is the high@l5 that is the problem.

Yeah, soon as I read your start post, I knew that had to be the problem. Now I will try and replicate the issue.

N.B. Many media players/TVs will ignore the Profile (and just extract info from the stream itself). Or allow it go outside its bounds (like Iā€™ve processed 4.1 Profile files that had a higher bitrate than is strictly allowed under that Profile). My old media player didnā€™t care. :slight_smile: But your TV cannot be faulted for being strict. And itā€™s simply TVAI that needs to set the correct Profile, matching the content.

1 Like

Sadly ā€“ or fortunately, depending on your point of view ā€“ I was not able to replicate the bug. I took a small 360p youtube video, and upscaled it to 1080p with TVAI, to an .mkv file (H264 NVIDIA option). The resultant Profile was set correctly to High#L4, and contained the correct framerate:

Oh never mind.
So at this point what do you think, a reinstall would fix it?

(Personally I still would take the extra time to re-encode it with software H.265 since itā€™s less lossy and smaller. But I also understand all the reasons not to.)

Now Iā€™m curious. :slight_smile:

Right after posting that, I realized the error of my whole post.

1 Like

I tried it both on 3.1.0.2.m; and then afterwards on 3.0.7 (as I realized he has no access to be latest alpha, of course). Both versions behaved exactly as they should have. So, I doubt a reinstall would make much difference.

This is what I always do; just a regular x265 command like, over which I have full control.

Thatā€™s strange. How is it possible that from one computer to another, there is such a change?
I had read on the Topaz Facebook group that it could be related to my Nvidia graphics card, do you think it could play a role and above all, how to solve the problem if it comes from me?
But the weird thing is that before the December update I didnā€™t have this problemā€¦

Only way to be sure, is if you prepared a small sample (like 1 minute) of the original video you used. For instance, thereā€™s the possibility your original video itself was faulty. For instance, I noticed you put the non-upscaled 736x544p into tsMuxer yesterday, and itā€™s already set at High@5.1 there (Sic!) Whereas I thought you had upscaled to 1080p.

I have a pretty old card (RTX 3080 Ti), in terms of NVENC. Only 4080 and 4090 use the newer NVENC with B-frames. So, only if you have a 4090, we likely used the same NVENC.

Haha, what are we going to do with you? Thatā€™s still new.
If you want, I can run a test on my GTX 1060 machine.

Regarding the graphics card, I use an RTX 3060 (I donā€™t know if it has the same name in your country).
As for the videos, again, I donā€™t think thatā€™s the issue. I carried out various tests yesterday, on sources of different resolutions (all in SD). I also tried to encode the video without upscaling (i.e. leaving it at its original resolution) and each time the video came out in High@L5.

I donā€™t think itā€™s related but I must specify that for personal reasons, I had to do a system restore a few days ago to an earlier date (11/30/2022). Following this, Windows 10 had returned the software, including Topaz, to the version they were on that date.
Do you think that could have had an influence on the operation of H.264?

Well, not new when NVENC is concerned, sadly. You quickly turn around, and wham, your card has been obsoleted. :rofl:

Thanks for the friendly offer, but it seems the OP may have rendered with 3.0.6 (or earlier version). In which case I suggest he simply upgrade first and check again (a good idea anyway).