Trying to emulate a Thomas Kinkade style

I’m using Topaz Studio 2 and have all the plugins (Legacy and AI) except Jpeg2Raw. I’ve stumbled around a bit and have come close (I think) to the style of Thomas Kinkade. Any suggestions on making the snow “Fluffy-er” and the window “Glow-er”. All suggestions welcome. - Thanks

10 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Very nice edit and processing

This is very good as it is. In LR I used to create window glow using a radial mask and warmth slider, adjusting the softness and opacity. You might be able to do something similar in TS though it would be easier in TS1 where you could use a separate layer.

Kinkade is one of my favorite artists …very nice work on this image.

Welcome to the forum. Very nice work on your processing, you created a very nice style

I’m late to this thread (new here), but I think you’d get very close to a Kinkade look with the “Orton Effect”. There are tutorials abound on it and I believe Studio has some presets you could try as well. That would give you the “glowy” and “fluffy” look you’re after, I think. Basically his paintings are very diffuse, like impressionist pieces, and your image has a sharper, more contrasted look.

I’d also try to mute that color palette, Kinkade paintings are very low contrast and pastel colors. I don’t see any of his work with bold blues like you have here.

Lastly, and this applies to most impressionist-style work, there is little to no black in the entire image on a Kinkade. You could either subtly tone your blacks with a bit more color or raise the black point to avoid so much pure black. If you look at his pieces online and use a color picker you will see there is little to no pure black on the canvas. This will help you reduce the contrast and get a closer palette to his. You may also notice most of his whites are tinged with yellow, pink or blue.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Thanks for the excellent feedback. I’ve used the Orrin effect on flowers and such, but never thought of using it on landscape.

No problem! I believe the original photographer, Michael Orton, used it on landscapes…he actually used it a bit much for my taste, haha. I discovered it like you did in a different realm of photography when I used to shoot weddings. People loved it on portraits about eight years ago! Best of luck in getting the look you’re after :smiley:

I wasn’t aware that he did it physically, sandwiching slides together…that’s pretty cool! Michael Orton Photography - Orton Effect

I am guessing you have experimented with the Glow and Radiance filters?