Topaz Video AI v3.5.4

Tried processing 2 videos on latest version, both ended in errors. Log file attached. I’ll try different sets of options to see if I can work around.
logsForSupport.zip (4.1 KB)

Temporary files are not being removed.

Preview is still off by quite some frames:

Iris is painfully slow on M1/M2 compared to what we already had in earlier versions.

Other than that, it’s working mostly fine with good, sometimes outstanding results.

Here they are (MacOS).

I love Iris v2 for the quality of the details rendered. I’m up to 0.06 seconds per frame when scaling from 720x556 to 1398x1080.

See screenshot :slight_smile:

Here’s my iris setting for “The Pretender” series

2 Likes

Iris V1 ran at nearly 30fos for SD encodes with the first 3.4 Alpha after the speed enhancement was announced.

Unfortunately this speeds was then gone in later versions after they resolved the issues with Sonoma and never brought them back.

Iris V2 was nearly as fast as the speedy 3.4a V1 in the first release version but after a model update now is abysmally slow as well.

You can also see this underperformance in the benchmark where Iris is much slower than Proteus on AppleSilicon while it’s only a little bit slower on Ncidia, AMD and even Intel integrated GPUs. And Iris 2x is especially affected here, having only about the speed of the 4x upscale.

Definitely something wrong here.

3 Likes

v3.5.4
No problem solving done.
The issue has not been fixed since v3.3.5: If you want to have several files at the same height, the width will not be adjusted, but the format of the first video will be applied to all of them.
If you disable Lock aspect rato, there is no longer a priorisize height.

My benchmark :slightly_smiling_face::

Topaz Video AI  v3.5.4
System Information
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz  31.936 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  7.8428 GB
Processing Settings
device: 0 vram: 1 instances: 1
Input Resolution: 1920x1080
Benchmark Results
Artemis		1X: 	10.22 fps 	2X: 	07.21 fps 	4X: 	02.23 fps 	
Iris		1X: 	10.69 fps 	2X: 	06.22 fps 	4X: 	01.88 fps 	
Proteus		1X: 	09.86 fps 	2X: 	06.07 fps 	4X: 	02.12 fps 	
Gaia		1X: 	03.18 fps 	2X: 	02.24 fps 	4X: 	01.57 fps 	
Nyx		1X: 	04.12 fps 	
4X Slowmo		Apollo: 	12.57 fps 	APFast: 	43.93 fps 	Chronos: 	07.81 fps 	CHFast: 	12.71 fps 	

Can we get a official comment on this? It’s a pretty big issue, I’ve had to roll back because of this.

1 Like

Source IVTC fail:
Left is done by TVAI. Right is done by hand in avisynth using SeparateFields/SelectEvery/Weave.

Source contains progressive fields that needs pulldown. But the main problem is that it also contains extra fields that should be dropped (that makes progressive frames shift) between some scenes and also from scene to scene pulldown changes (different fields needs to be dropped).
TVAI version looks like it did not combed fields but just duplicated same field.

2 Likes

What happened to ProRes 4444 XQ? I only have output up to 422 hq

Why set Recover Original Detail to 85% instead of 100%?

I guess this raises a question i have wondered also…

Why have “Recovery Original Detail” to 20 instead of 100? is this somehow a “sweet spot”? What side effects could there be if setting it too high?

Screenshot 2023-10-17 214919
this doesn’t seem accurate… sorry if this isn’t the place for bg reports but its where the feedback button brought me.

Original detail includes things like compression artifacts, noise, halos - all things that you generally want to remove. So setting the slider too high basically undoes what you are trying to achieve.

That’s my theory, at least.

1 Like

I find if I use too much “Recover Original Detail” using the Iris filters, my videos tend to look “layered”. Kind of a faux 3-D look which is slightly unnatural.

Because after several tests, 85% was just right for this series. 100% gave some compression artifacts :wink: .

It’s a very good theory. In fact, this parameter is mainly used to recover details to avoid over-smoothing the video with denoising, sharpening and artifact removal processing. And indeed, if you turn the slider up to 100%, you cancel out a little of what you’re trying to remove. That’s why, in my tests on the series I’m remastering, the correct recovery value for the original was 85%, depending on my settings for the other sliders.

2 Likes

This keeps crashing my system whenever the video is about to finish. I get left with 0mb files because of the restart.

Got any details about your system? Does it actually crash the program or does TVAI keep running with errors on the videos or just empty videos.

I’m having a very similar issue but I’m stuck on 3.5.3 beta since I run Linux. I thought this was a Linux bug but maybe it’s something else since I assume you’re running Windows?