Topaz Video AI v3.2.9

Hello everyone!

A new release of Topaz Video AI is now available.

v3.2.9
Released June 6th, 2023

Downloads: Windows | Mac

Changes from v3.2.8

• Made H264 High default encoder
  • Adjusted “modify preset” dialog title to match menu option
  • Fixed an uninstaller permission issue for Windows
  • Improved the hover & disabled state UI for the export button
  • Added tooltip to export button when disabled during cropping & trimming
  • Updated & improved various enhancement tooltips

Known Issues

• Videos with mismatched metadata and streams will display incorrect duration
  • Frame number preview length may shorten on app restart

Submit files here: Dropbox

Please take a look at the Video Roadmap Update for more context on what we’re focusing on right now. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

9 Likes

Since I mainly use the CLI, I’m guessing this update won’t do anything for me.

Keep up the good work either way!

3 Likes

Ir-i-i-i-s!

2 Likes

Hi… I have seen a strange problem that was in some releases like 2.6.0 to 2.6.4. This problem is present in all the releases from 3.1.0 to 3.2.9, but non in 3.0.11.

The problem is the pulsing or flashing or ghosting of Dione Robust v4 dtd4 when you process a file.
These are the files for comparison

This is the original interlaced file

This is the file processed with 3.0.11 (this is ok, without pulsing problem)

This the file processed with 3.1.0 to 3.2.9 (this have the pulsing problem)

2 Likes

@gregory.maddra Please enable NVenc for HEVC with the slowest setting (-preset p7) and -tune hq, so it reaches the quality of x265!

This is the only reason I have to use the command line instead of the GUI… Now that one video can fully utilize the GPU, VRAM is not such an issue anymore. The video quality is much better that way and the encoder could do around 9 FPS anyway on an RTX 3060 TI with 8192x4320 while tvai_up processes at <1 fps, so it wouldn’t be a bottleneck.

This makes a big difference in archiving as 8K-360-3D-videos don’t have to be archived with >100 Mbit/s to prevent artifacts when encoded with preset p7.

1 Like

hmm… try it H264 Nvidia + Processing Nvidia or ProRes LT + Processing Nvidia

doesn’t Topaz Video use a CPU+GPU combo?

setting Processing CPU + codec/encoder Nvidia H265 - other?

Yes, the AI work itself does use both. But it only uses a lower quality encoding when encoding with the GPU, even though it wouldn’t slow down the encoding at all using a higher quality setting which is sad because the potential encoding processing power (seperate chip) is unused and higher bitrates have to be used instead which results in higher file sizes.

1 Like

Yes, NVenc HEVC quality is pretty bad. Even the AMD GPU accelerated h265 encoding from the integrated GPU of my 7950X is noticeable better which is why I use it instead of the encoding of the 4090.

Actually, NVenc HEVC would be just as good as x265 when using the preset p7 and tune hq (I analyzed several frames thoroughly) but Topaz defaults to medium which is p3, which is sad because it wouldn’t slow down encoding at all anyway (seperate chip)… It would just use more VRAM (1-2 GB at 8K).

1 Like

I have just updated to 3.2.9 and am testing. Seems to be as stable as the previous version. Seems to be as good :+1:. No other comments for the moment.

4 Likes

Hi, thank you for sharing your files.

I am not seeing any pulsing on my end, is this noticeable on your end when played in the browser from the drive file? Or do you only see this when played with a specific media player?

It’s not a problem of player software because I can see the same effect in the preview of the software

See the face of the singer.
With the 3.0.11 version the details are stable.

From 3.10 to 3.2.9, the details are like go in go out each subsequent frame.

1 Like

The models are the same, because the directory is the same. The problem is in the software.

Other two five seconds example:
dtd4 3.0.11

dtd4 3.0.12 to 3.2.9 (yes the problem start from 3.012 and not 3.1.0)

The effect is hard to perceive, but go on for the entire video
problem

1 Like

Can you share your system profile?

How To Obtain Your System Profile (Mac)
How To Obtain Your System Profile (Windows)

One moment, I will post you other examples:
Here there is a shift of colors
dtd (3.0.11)

dtd (3.0.12 to 3.2.9)

the black is more purple

Here the problem is very visible. Is something like, when it’s difficult for the software to reconstruct details, it will go blurring the entire scene.
original

dtd (3.0.11)

dtd (from 3.0.12 to 3.2.9)

DxDiag.txt (108.3 KB)

Still waiting for the missing audio on previews to be fixed. I’m stuck on 3.2.1 until this is resolved.

1 Like