Topaz Video AI v3.1.9

Agreed! And you already know my thoughts on faces, lol.

1 Like

I canā€™t answer your questions on 3.1.9 quality as I donā€™t have it but on pricing theyā€™ve just lowered the upgrade price by 20% again, in case that affects your decision.

I thought they did that around September, iirc, once per year?

I always get a complete Crash with my iMac, if I try to use the Apollo Model to interpolate the Framerateā€¦

iMac, macOS 13.2, VideoAI 3.1.9

1 Like

Converting a 24p source into 8x slowmo 60fps, im seeing the Apollo model is feeling very stuttery/jittery compared to Chronos fast. Chronos Fast seems to output a video that truly feels smooth like it is actually 60fps, not getting this result when using Apollo.

Is Apollo not good for slow mo?

As someone who foolishly paid to be a beta tester of 3.0 version I can say no, the quality still didnā€™t match what you can achieve with the Proteus 2 model on 2.6.4.

5 Likes

As for your hardware, I donā€™t think youā€™ll see any speed increase over 2.6.4. You can now check out the benchmarks section of these forums to dream about hardware upgrades.
I love the CLI, personally.
Most all of the deal-breaking issues I had with 2.6.4 are fixed by using the CLI of TVAI 3.
If youā€™re into frame interpolation, I think the new Apollo model is better than all the other options I have tried. (But like all options, is not perfect.) I have not tried the stabilization models.

There. I think I covered everything not mentioned by the rest.

4 Likes

I love the CLI too but it could be more user friendlyā€¦ all the " In quotes "
Also the -nostats command could be changed automatically to -stats

2 Likes

I also find that kind of odd, but figure most CLI users would be creating batch files to run the commands.
I kind of forgot about that because I made a little Python script to generate and run the commands depending on predefined option filesā€¦ That script is monster sized now.

Point being: I only had to remove the quotes and change things like -stats once initially, then I update the small sections that change with updates. The same effort would be there with batch files.

3 Likes

Still curious as to why Topaz creates a ā€œvai-install.log ā€ file with each new install in my Mac Home folder, of all places?

Iā€™m back to ā€œUnknown errorā€ stuff again. This is on a Win 10 22H2, Ryzen 7 3700X, Intel Arc A770. Sighā€¦

1 Like

I am going to experiment with CLI now too. Can CLI even work, though, with ProRes files? Thereā€™s always an extra ā€˜closingā€™ pass needed: on CLI, who would perform said second pass? Not the GUI, obviously.

Sorry to put my noseā€¦ Yes, the CLI works with ProRes files.
I donā€™t know if an extra ā€˜closingā€™ pass is needed but I donā€™t think so. The CLI doesnā€™t even create temporary files like the GUI doesā€¦ And you can play the output result right after the rendering have started.
Also, you can use Vpy scripts with the CLIā€¦ :point_right: vspipe
http://www.vapoursynth.com/doc/gettingstarted.html#output-with-vspipe

1 Like

Shared memory after fill, software UI unresponsive, click no response.

ę— ę ‡é¢˜
13700Kļ¼ŒA770
windows11 22h2ļ¼ˆ10.0.22621.1413ļ¼‰
gpu driver ver:101.4091
All previous versions had this problem.

the pipe gets stuck in the process.
Pipe from the latest 32-bit ffmpeg (avisynth script processing) to topaz 6-th ffmpeg.

@Carlito is right. I tried ProRes once in the CLI and it worked fine, as far as I could tell.
My main use case is DVD to FHD. For shows, I want to cut intros out and other things that repeat like recaps. I just have to make options files for where to make those cuts and what models to run at what settings. My script makes and runs the commands to: make the cuts, clean with vapoursynth, upscale and or interpolate with TVAI, convert to H265 and finally join all the parts, audio, subtitles and chapters back into a final file ready for viewing.

For previewing settings, I just tell it to make clips of like 10 seconds. Anyway, I made a topic about my script. Iā€™ll try and find the time to update it with my latest changes.

3 Likes

Yeah, I use VSPipe all the time for my postprocessing to x265; not entirely sure what ffmpeg expects on the input end of things, though, but I shall try it with a small file anyway, to test whether a 2nd pass it needed at all (and if it isnā€™t, makes one wonder why theyā€™re doing it in the first place).

I would love to check that script of yours.

Small or big fileā€¦ you can press Ctrl + C when you want to stop the processing. The generated frames will be there for you to check.
Just add this to the beginning of the commands generated by the GUI
vspipe -y4mp SCRIP.Vpy | ffmpeg -y -stats -i pipe: The rest is the commands generated by the GUI after you have set what you wish to do;; Upscale, Model used, Model settings, etc, etc
Extended example for a Prores output using Proteus manual without Upscaling ā€¦ vspipe -y4mp SCRIP.Vpy | ffmpeg -y -stats -i pipe: -sws_flags spline+accurate_rnd+full_chroma_int -color_trc 2 -colorspace 2 -color_primaries 2 -filter_complex ā€œtvai_up=model=prob-3:preblur=0:noise=0.3:details=0:halo=0.1:blur=0:compression=0.5:device=1:vram=1:instances=1ā€ -c:v prores_ks -profile:v 3 -vendor apl0 -quant_mat hq -bits_per_mb 1350 -pix_fmt yuv422p10le OutPath:\OutFileName.Mov or Mkv

2 Likes

Iā€™m having consistent issues where the exports are hanging for hours.

My configuration: Intel I7-12700KF, 128GB DDR5 Memory, Four 2TB NVME drives

I tried switched from 2 to 4 processes, at a certain point the exports hang. Leave it sit for 4+ hours, zero additional progress

The clip Iā€™m exporting is quite small - source is about 30 seconds. Iā€™m trying 2x, 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x. Itā€™s usually hanging when it gets to the 8x. Iā€™m using the Apollo Model, Stabilization with 2 passes. Encode to ProRes 422LT

Thoughts?