Topaz Video AI v3.0.0

After a bit of testing, it is impressive the team has managed to make a worse product in almost every aspect. Bravo. Will be sticking to 2.6.4

2 Likes

V. 2.6.4 for Windows: https://downloads.topazlabs.com/deploy/TopazVideoEnhanceAI/2.6.4/TopazVideoEnhanceAI-2.6.4-windows-x64-Full-Installer.exe

V 2.6.4 for Mac: https://downloads.topazlabs.com/deploy/TopazVideoEnhanceAI/2.6.4/TopazVideoEnhanceAI-2.6.4-univ.dmg

2 Likes

I donā€™t know if this problem was there before or not, but when I copy settings using either Interlaced or Interlaced Progressive with Dehalo it defaults back to the regular DV setting after using Paste. I then have to change to Dehalo.

Is there any way to give us settings that we can save under any old name like we used to?

Thanks for the links :slight_smile:

They wont go back to 2x so there is no point in complaining about that.

if many complain for v3, of course they will go back to v2. And why tell it just to me? itā€™s not just me complaining about the new version.

2 Likes

Although Ver3 slowed down the stand-alone work, when two videos were processed in parallel, each increased only 20% of the time.
Normally, it should take twice as long, but it only increased by 20%.
If multiple videos are to be processed, Ver3 is faster than Ver2.
I use Macbook Pro 14inch M1 Pro 16GB.

2 Likes

3.0 still looks like Beta with all this ugly fonts and buttons on strange places. Even my students make more professional-looking Java projects. But main problem is speedā€¦ On my RTX 3090 same project (Proteus FT, 720p upscaling 200%) runs 793s in 2.6.4 and 1644s in 3.0
PS And please bring back .avs drag and drop support, especially since ffmpeg have versions with internal AviSynth compatibility.

2 Likes

Weā€™ll have to see if devs fix the ā€œknown issuesā€ to see if the product is really worth it.
Then speed optimization and model optimization should be their first priority.
Like i said in beta forums, i get sometimes a better result with proteus 2 than 3. That is weird.

Hi,

Iā€™ve this issue, with Chrono fast up to 25 > 50 fps around 1/3 more long with 3.0 :roll_eyes: (with for me same setting H 264 in MP4, no ā€œenergy save modeā€ activated)
Power GPU/CPU drop power consumption too 1/4 less.

Win 10
RTX 3070 Ti (undervolt 1860 MHz max 0.9180 gpu voltage)
Ryzen 9 5900x

I donā€™t have no more time for the moment to try other AI model (upscale and enhanced) Hope there is no issue too :neutral_face:

the loss of speed may be caused by a different behaviour of the application. i remember it only scaled up close to the size you wanted and enlarged the missing bit the classic way. this might be faster than the new application that enlarges beyond your request and then shrinks it down again to match your need. in theory the new way might look better.

Is there a reason why there isnā€™t a model that is trained to both upscale and to interpolate (like Apollo or Chronos or better) - in one go (one pass)? Wouldnā€™t having a model that was trained to do both in one go probably be faster and better quality than chaining 2 AI models (one for the interpolation and one for the upscale)? eg. couldnā€™t it be trained by having a video at high res and high fps and creating a version at a quarter of the size and lower fps and having it learn to convert one to the other?

Also in the old Video Enhance AI there was an option to click to view a window to compare 3 different models against the original video. Couldnā€™t there be an option for that in this new version/app?

In the old version with the compare option (that compared 3 models) Artemis I think a lot of the time looked the best - Iā€™m not sure it is any more with this version and the name seems to have changed to ā€œArtemis - Denoise/Sharpenā€. Others have mentioned how the models are different. So have all the models changed even if their names are about the same as before? I donā€™t seem to get as much detail in an upscaled video as I did with the old version of the app.

Maybe there could be more AI models available that are trained in different ways and some that are optimized for quality and others optimized for speed. Maybe there could be an option for us to train our own AI models.

Hi,

How do I know that the model is using Tensor RT?

I have already uploaded the Log files, 2 photos and a small sample video

PC vs Mac

What is the general consensus regarding the speed of v3.0 versus v2.6.4 on a Mac M1 Mini 16GB machine?

From what I am reading it has slowed down the rendering by as much as 20% on some things. Sorry I havenā€™t been able to read the 115 posts yet. lol

This concerns me, as I would think speeds would at least remain the same on your new version (at least on the same offerings from 2.6.4).

Is Topaz begging to put more emphasis on the PC version development?

Or is v2.6.4 going to be the fastest you will produce? It appears the majority of your customers are PC users, based on the posts.

How long will you continue to support v2.6.4, as I guess it requires downloads from your servers AI models when it starts to render?

Would this new rebuild version of the app finally support the EXR format? This is critical for professional VFX and CG renders. Also much more efficient than TIFF or PNG.

In the promo page for Video AI v3.0.0 it says ā€œSupport for hardware encoding on all platforms for H264, H265, and AV1 (when available), along with higher-bit output formats such as ProRes 444.ā€

But in the Output Settings (and I think the preferences) there isnā€™t an option for ProRes 444. The output options allow ProRes 422 LT and ProRes 422 HQ but no ProRes 444 even though ProRes 444 was in the advert for this version. Can there please be an option for ProRes 444 (or should it be called ProRes 4444?).

Also can there please be an option for ProRes 4444 with the alpha channel from the source kept? Otherwise it will not be good for upscaling videos that contain an alpha channel where you want the output to be a video.

1 Like

Iā€™m agree with you, for upscale and enhanced
I potentially ended my post wrong and didnā€™t choose the right example for conclude.
If upscale and other model have change for the new version and do a better result , Iā€™m ok if they take more time.

For a ā€œbasicā€ x2 FPS the new version does not bring any clear change for basic FPS change (only for slow motion x800 and other).

Only if in made error 3.0 version change the slow motion effect and not the basic FPS change 23.976 > 120 FPS
In my case itā€™s a basic FPS change 25 to 50.
The 3.0 version take around 33% more time for same result (with little more power consumption for same job).

1 Like

Congratulations to Topaz on this release, however I will not download it just yet until the rough edges are smoothed out a bit more. I expect it will be more palatable in a couple of months. Iā€™m a beta tester, not a ā€˜release testerā€™. :grin:

5 Likes

On Mac, how do I install 3.0 while keeping 2.6.4. [Edit]: Figured this part out.

Iā€™m really not sure why 3.0 is a Release Candidate while most workflows are slower while using more resources. Other than the UI, is there any thing that 3.0 does better than 2.6.4 that 2.6.4 was doing (other than new models)?.