Topaz Video AI v3.0.0

Windows 11, Intel Xeon Silver 4216 CPU, NVIDIA RTX A4000.

@ida.topazlabs
Suggestion: We should have a list of the various root file names and folder names VEAI has used in the temp file area. Even though it now claims to delete them on exit, there are still a lot of them left from previous test versions. Also, if the app crashes, rather than exiting normally, it leaves a lot of temporary files hanging.

A short time ago I removed about 350 GB of very old VEAI temp files from the temp area. Amazingly, since then I’ve found almost 200 GB more. In other words, there is a lot of space in the temp folders that will remain permanently ‘wasted’ unless the get deleted manually. To do that, we should know what to look for. If someone could provide a list it would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Hi
I seem to have a bug. Is it known?

My preview pane does match my original, its off by 15 mins at least!

Where do I report this?

Thank you

James,
This is already a known issue. (And, incidentally, a fifteen minute difference is actually a little closer than most people get. :nerd_face:) - It will most likely be fixed very soon.

1 Like

Thanks so much. I normally never install Geforce Experience since I don’t really game or use any extra software. I might give it a try then.

geforce experience can be used for many other stuff than gaming. not need for most of us here, but there are automatic optimisation for some topazlabs product (like put the Vram at the right amount etc
).
there is as well a great screen capture video fonction, using Alt + Z. you’ll not have to download nvidia driver on nvidia website, you can do it with this app. etc 
 and some other stuff. but just don’t let it running in the background as it can use some % cpu/gpu unless you need it.

This is the only thing I use it for. But, interestingly enough, a few developers are utilizing its setup capabilities

Rough and ready slomo speed comparison 2.6.4 vs 3.0.0. Ryzen 7 5800x 8 core/16 thread, RTX 3060ti, 32GB system RAM. Same files used for each, 720x576 progressive at 25 fps.

v2.6.4 on 2x slomo chronos fast is 0.03s/frame. GPU load ~55%, CPU ~70%.

v3.0 SETTING, AI PROCESSOR: GPU (default)
On 2x slomo chronos fast v 3.0.0 is 0.06s/frame. GPU load ~75%, CPU ~10%
On 2x slomo Apollo v 3.0.0 is 0.21s/frame. GPU load ~65%, CPU ~8%.

v3.0 SETTING, AI PROCESSOR: AUTO
On 2x slomo chronos fast v 3.0.0 is 0.03s/frame. GPU load ~62%, CPU ~14%
On 2x slomo Apollo v 3.0.0 is 0.10s/frame. GPU load ~55%, CPU ~14%.

v3.0 SETTING, AI PROCESSOR: CPU
On 2x slomo chronos fast v 3.0.0 is 1.27s/frame. GPU load 0%, CPU ~32%
On 2x slomo Apollo v 3.0.0 is 3.59s/frame. GPU load ~0%, CPU ~32%.

So on AUTO AI, 3.0 chronos fast is the same speed as 2.6.4 chronos fast. Apollo in 3.0 is about 30% the speed of chronos fast in 2.6.4. The GPU-only and CPU-only settings are slow and very slow, I won’t be using them again.

Bottom line is that 3.0.0 is not using the available CPU cores effectively, half of my CPU’s 16 logical processors are not used at all.

But Apollo is a vast improvement in quality over Chronos in video that Chronos could not handle - video with static logos over a moving background for example. It seems to me that for slomo at least, Topaz should concentrate on making better use of all that spare CPU capacity.

Hehe, yeah I did that once when I first got VEAI and thought the exact same thing.

This product has been advertised as a professional product. But I am seeing to now appear as a consumer or prosumer product.

I am confused and there is no transparency.

If I gave work in a MKV container to a customer I would lose their business.

I have to reboot my Mac Minis between projects to delete files and to prevent it less likely to crash.

V2.6.4

I really wanted to like 3.0 and while I think eventually it’ll be an upgrade to 2.6.4 as of now I had to switch back to earlier version.

For starters previews are so much worse in 3.0. Like they actually look worse than if I open the same video in 2.6.4. Why? And they have a host of issues others have pointed out like getting out of sync with the original video.

2.6.4 handled videos that didn’t have square pixels just fine. But in 3.0 they take 4 times longer to process! Why?

When I output a video to ProRes 422 using the Auto Proteus model it generates 2 video files–one will be corrupt and won’t work, and the other will be missing the audio. This happens nearly ever time!

Speaking of Proteus that’s the real deal breaker for me as you can only use the Proteus 3 model in 3.0. On certain videos that model produces annoying flicker artifacts on every other frame. In 2.6.4 I could at least use the Proteus 2 model but with 3.0–no dice.

I don’t know why Topaz was so eager to rush this out the door because it really needs a couple more months of beta testing in its current state.

7 Likes

@suraj It seems that Windows redist is missing a nvinfer.dll, is there any way I can fix it?

Yes, it works with 2.6.4 but not with 3.0.0

I see this too and the tvai and prob3 files are not identical, they are the same size but don’t have the same content (they look similar visually).

this is normal ! 3.0 is just out, speed optimisation has not been done yet, if there are speed issue with nvidia, devs must work with them etc 
 profil from Geforce experience will not be available to 3.0 before some moment ! these profiles are done by Nvidia.

Hello, yes the previous version worked well.
The first few seconds are shown but then the preview stops, while the time estimator shows it is working.

It also does not store the previous settings automatically.

Otherwise great work.

Why would the program revert the default preset to ‘none’ when you restart, this is something in preferences, nothing else in preferences reverts to nothing when you restart the program, that makes no sense at all.
If you specify a default preset it should stay until you specify & different 1 surely. And anyway, when I restart the program, the default preset is what I set it to (not ‘none’) unless I add or change ANY preset so what you are saying cannot be correct.

1 Like

Question for advanced users only: Are the json files in version 3.0 user-editable in order to expand functionality?

In versions 2.3 and before, json files could be adjusted to user advantage. For example, I could adjust Dione DV and TV to work on progressive videos without doubling frames. I could also create new json files with which I could access older AI models from Topaz servers (i.e., I had all Artemis models from v5 to v12 selectable in the UI).

I have tried editing json files in TVAI v 3.0 without success, and am wondering if anyone else has had any luck.

Is anyone getting their fastest speeds on the GPU-only processor setting? If so, what GPU/CPU do you have?

Mine is half the speed (half the fps) on GPU-only compared to Auto (3060ti/Ryzen 7 5800x).