Topaz Video AI v3.0.0

does your tvai file disappear when you close the software ? i remember seeing someone telling that one file was generated during the process (Irecovery or something, if the software crash etc…) then the file is merged to create the final one. normally this file is deleted when you close the software but i’m not sure sure anymore.

Not sure as I just noticed this for the third time. I had already erased the other ones. I’ll close it after the run and see. Thanks for the info, I was just afraid I was wasting time and having duplicates.

1 Like

Ah! I thought that maybe there was elevated access as a reason why joachim.ehrhardt was unable to verify the Presets issue with the current release.

So if the Preset is properly saving all of the relevant settings then it is possibly an issue with Preference settings incorrectly overriding the Presets Output Settings.

you’ll not lose anything, that’s one of the big positive part of the 3.0 compared to 2.6.4.
if for any reason the graphic interface would crash, the software behind it (backend = ffmpeg) continue to run and will finish the processing of your file so you’ll not loose any time / files.
Normally most Gui crash have been fixed, but it still can happen for different reasons like any other software on a on computer;

Soon (don’t know when) in a future update a pause / resuming option will be added, and certainly a better handling of all this crash / recovery thing.

1 Like

The 2950X has the Problem that some cores (die) are communicating with the ram over a other Core (die), thats sometimes very slow.

The 1080ti has no fp16 hardware and has to calculate everything in fp32, if you would change that gpu you could be much faster since actual hardware does calc fp16 with a 2x increase in speed.

You don’t need to get a highend model even a 2080/3060/3070ti is enough.

Thats only a suggestion.

1 Like

Hello, there is a problem with VEAI 3.0.0 when using Apollo of Chronos: altough the new duration of the clip is displayed correctly, the clips are “cut” at the original duration when imported in other video editors, or are stopped at that time during playback with various video players.
For example, I have a clip of 6 seconds, I want to do slow motion 16x, so I get a clip of duration 96 seconds.
But in the video players if stops at 6 seconds, and I have to press “play” again to continue.
And in video editor like Studio, it is “seen” as 6 seconds only.
I tried many converters, transcoders, even video repair soft, the problem remains the same.

The only trick that I found, was to copy 16 times (concatenate) the same 6 seconds clips to make 96 seconds clip, and then putting that in VEAI with Apollo and 16x slo mo.
In theory it will make a clip of a duration 16x 96 seconds, and I should be able to use it even if it “cuts” all what is after 96 seconds.
I don’t know if it will work, because to do that, VEAI is working during 16 HOURS…
For just 6 seconds… Crazy.

I hope you can fix that problem.
Thanks.

Thank you, I actually have been looking at video card upgrades.
I am just not sure what to get right now. I only do video editing on this computer and it’s 4 years old now.

But I will just do a full new rebulid with a new CPU (Ryzen 9 7950x or Intel i9-12900k)
and go with the RTX 3070 or 3080

Why is it so hard to decide?

Trim the 16:9 output size so it conforms to the 4:3 aspect ratio of the original video, which eliminates the black bars on the left and right side.

Previously, VEAI processed individual images, but this led to various problems.

Now it checks over multiple images at once, which costs CPU time, which would explain (if I’m not wrong) why the M1 chips are so much slower than the others, ARM is quite slow compared to X86 when it gets CPU heavy.

The GPU should only do what it does best and that is image processing.

The GPU waits most of the time to get images from the CPU.

And because you need the CPU to do the preprocessing you can’t just write the video into the VRAM of the GPU.

Otherwise we would have an insane performance like with raytracing.

This would also explain why the performance doesn’t drop with parallel running preview generations, my 7820X and TR 3960X manage with their GPUs two preview generations at the same time with almost the same performance.

Now that VEAI has been improved, the CPU optimization over multiple cores is probably missing, which means that you will be faster with multiple CPU cores in the future than with fewer (presumably).

Waiting therefore makes sense, as far as updating the hardware is concerned.
But if I look at the global political situation so I’m not sure even there.

3 Likes

Can you show where you saw this? I haven’t seen anything from the devs that would indicate it works this way.

At the fist post in this thread is a link to … here

Where you can read anything about the improvements of VEAI 3.

1 Like

Vague. It says the old version treated video as a series of images and that was a problem, but it NEVER says that they changed it. Not a word about how it “treats” video now. They do what has become a trope with this software and gloss right over the enhancements, jumping to slow motion and other BS that hardly anyone seems interested in.

I’m certain it still treats video as a series of images. It’s not looking ahead and back when processing enhancements. No chance. And by enhancements, I’m not talking about Chronos and Apollo crap. I’m talking about Proteus, Artemis, Gaia, etc.

1 Like

Low Quality Setting is suposed to for Low Quality . Color Space is that what matches SDR.So VEAI should
Not have any problem File.I can make Sample That has HDR and High10.

I wouldn’t say the time models were BS.

Imagine you are a wedding videographer who wants to work flexibly and there is a dance scene that you would like to have in slow motion, then you can do that with this.

The problem today is not that the technology is not there, but that many coaches and filmmakers/photographers still work and teach the way they did 10+ years ago.

2 Likes

Trim and crop are two different terms. If you are taking a 16:9 image and cutting the ends of the image off to achieve a 4:3 aspect image is commonly known as cropping.

I definitely agree! On a Mac Studio what I could do in an hour is now showing 8 days 15 hours to complete which I think makes this upgrade useless.

I have also found that use of interlaced video is only available at double original frame rate. There is no way to output video at its original frame rate!

Very, very disappointed with this upgrade and strongly considering asking for upgrade fee back. . . . So sad. . . . .

dione robust does not double the framerate

What does that mean?
In order to find out more about how VEAI works I tried to use version 2.6.4 with one video in parallel to running already 3 videos in version 3.0.0.
I’m very surprised that it functions without any problem. Off course processing speed of each video in 3.0.0 went down from 0.46sps to 0.56spf, while 2.6.4 processed at 0.67spf
Looking into Task-Manager I see that 2.6.4 does not utilize ffmpeg

2 Likes

Checked that. Artemis LQ, 480p h.264 to 1080p ProRes HQ 0.10 sec (2.6.4) to 4.7 sec (3.0.0.)

Nope they are still there.
TVAI Still Keeping TVAI Files