Topaz Video AI 3.0.5 Apollo frame interloption adds significant artifacting

Hello!

I have a bit of an issue with the latest Topaz 3.0.X software. I usually work with very high quality/bitrate video files, often in low framerate (Due to their high quality) and I like to use this software to increase their framerate.

Sadly, I’ve come to find out that Apollo; the most effective model for my use case seems to add significant compression/artifacts to the video; or limits the videos bitrate in some way.

Here is an example:

I’m not sure if this is just a result of this model/a “Feature” of it, but I don’t see any similar posts about this.

Please let me know if this is a bug/not intentional, and might be something that would be fixed or worked on in the future; or if this is just how it is.

Steps to re-produce:

1: Import any video of your choice
2: Set the Video Out Framerate higher than the video’s original framerate
3: Select Apollo as the AI model
4: Preview video, zoom in and observe pixels/artifacts

Thank you!

1 Like

What output do you set it to?

In my testing, I have found that the least artifacts happen when you set Slow Motion to a multiplier, have the frame rate set to original and do images as the output. Re-encode the images with your favorite tool setting the frame rate to the correct increase.

I am not sure how to close a topic, but it seems the developers have acknowledged the Apollo engine as being flawed as of version 3.1, as they have disabled it to “improve its quality” in according to their changelogs!

If anyone runs into this in the future, See topic: Topaz Video AI v3.1 – faster exports, faster playback, and new Motion Deblur model

1 Like

It is a pity that this is not the problem that the developer refers to. Apollo has been reducing the image quality since its launch until now.

1 Like