Topaz Sharpen AI V4.1 Quits Unexpectedly

I have a MacBook Pro running V`13.1, it has 32Gb memory, Lrc V12.2 and Sharpen AI 4.1. The problem began when I sent 6 Raw images to Sharpen. I had installed the 12.2 update to Lrc but not sure if I used Sharpen immediately after the update.

1 Like

Did you find a fix because I have the exact same issue as of today.

Yes, I did get a solution from Topaz Labs. I have cut and paste their solution which worked for me. Let me know if you have a problem with what I have sent you.
Thanks for reaching out. If your Sharpen AI is crashing every time you try to launch it, please follow these steps below:

1. Delete any/all versions of Sharpen AI from Applications and the Topaz Labs LLC folder.
  2. Delete the plist files for Sharpen AI using instructions here and reboot your computer afterwards.
  3. Download the full installer from the Topaz Labs downloads page and use the drag and drop installation process. Make sure Lightroom and Photoshop are closed during this step.
1 Like

Works perfect for me too. Thanks!!

I’m not using a Mac. Windows 10, with win10 relevant updates installed. But my install of Sharpen has suddenly become 100% totally unusable after infrequent - but trouble-free use for quite some time now. Crashes out the moment any file is in it. Either as a plug in via Photoshop (version CS5) or as a standalone application with a file loaded by browsing in the usual way to its containing folder.
The result is that the file enters the Sharpen screen but the progress bar along the lower LH edge fails to show any progress, then the dreaded “not responding” shows. If the file was transferred from CS5 with Sharpen as a plugin then CS5 also crashes out.
I’ve downloaded the Sharpen installer from the Topaz site and reinstalled the software. Which is a hit/miss affair - such often show “download failed” in the results entry in the downloads folder.
Result - no difference whatsoever.

Check the conversation tread, it contains the Mac solution to the problem. Modify it for finding the .pst files.

Had the same issue with my Mac, and this solution works. Thanks!

Have we fixed this yet???

I’m really tired of having to reinstall the software four times a week.

1 Like

I have Sharpen V4.1 and just used on 6 images without a problem. Is it possible you did not delete all of the files in the solution process?

No matter the version both Sharpen & DeNoise have randomly frozen Photoshop PC over and over. I have trusted Topaz since its earliest days, with trusted results. The software is lowering their quality too soon, too little testing and it is getting sloppy. I bet that Topaz will heap blame on Photoshop.

I uninstalled and rebooted then reinstalled. Let me tell you: it DID NOT work. I have so many pictures that need sharpening and it’s frustrating. All the other products work well. As soon as I load a picture for sharpening, I hear the fan start to get stronger and computer shuts down. I may have to abandon this one and find another product.

See Feb 23 post with a potential solution for you.

That is the process I followed. I will redo it again. I am using windows 11 so no plist files. It’s frustrating.

Same problem here. Everything was working fine during the last days, but from today on Sharpen AI kept crashing every 3-4 images at first and then did not open at all anymore. The program is launched for 1 second, I can see the bird, and then it closes giving out a Mac error note (“quits unexpectedly”…).

All other Topaz programs running fine.

I am using a Mac M1 Pro 32 GB. Rebooting did not help. Deinstalling and reinstalling did not help. Updating from Ventura 13.4 to Ventura 13.5 did not help.

There are no Topaz plist files in my Library/Preferences at all so I cannot delete any…

Really irritated and hoping for support! Thanks!

I just used the instructions shown in the 223 post and found .PST files for each Topez application I have. Clink on the link in the 2/23 post to get the instructions for finding and deleting the Sharpen AI .pst files.

Did so - see above in my post. There aren’t any .plist files although I have 4 Topaz applications installed. Check the screenshot attached please (I installed Topaz 3 days ago for the first time, so only July is relevant, and even before there aren’t any Topaz plists).

I have 2 .pst for each Topez application I have for a total of 8 .pst files. Not really understanding what .pst files does, I have over 300 of them; for apple, google, topez, and every application I have.

Can I suggest that you sort the folder so that Topaz will be at the beginning or end of the list. Or, search for sharpen topes ai.pst

Thanks jhtall65, indeed I was looking in Macintosh->Library instead of User–>Library (which was hidden). Found the plists and deleted, rebooted and SOLVED. Many thanks.

Still absolutely puzzled the software is that fragile - hope this stays a one-time-thing.

I have glad the solution worked for you. When I read the Topez solution it appears that it is for all of the products. I have not had a Sharpen AI problem since February.

Thank you, your instructions were clear and the solution worked well! Also Topaz works again, as before. (FYI I use an M1 Mac Air)