Topaz Photo AI v1.3.0

I found a bug in the plugin part between Lightroom and Photo AI. Knowing that this bug did not exist in version 1.2.10. The bug in question is, after having enhanced my image in Photo AI and then after having pressed the button “save to Adobe Lightroom Classic”, the image is not saved in Lightroom. It is well saved in the source folder with a small “-2” next to the file name but not imported into Lightroom overwriting the Tiff file generated by it. And the bug occurs anyway possible to send a photo from Lightroom to Photo AI.

1 Like

In clear term, it does not import external settings (those made by Photo AI) For info, I have the latest version of Lightroom Classic. The 12.2.1. I even uninstalled and reinstalled Photo AI 1.3.0 but nothing changes.

I noticed too that the strong sharpen by default sharpens less than the standard sharpen. Nethertheless I often like the “more careful” sharpening by “strong sharpen” more.

Regarding the unhappiness of many users I personally thought all options were like layers we can move up and down in a list according to our needs where we can adjust the settings of each layer too. So “sharpen”, “denoise”, “resize”, “deblur”, “color correction” should all be like layers in Photoshop where we can move them up and down via mouse and arrange them in the order of our choice and where they will be processed one after another in the given order. :slight_smile:

These four for example already look like layers. Enable us to move each of them up and down and arrange them in the order we would like to have them processed. :blush:

also, when I process a tiff file generated by Lightroom in photo AI 1.3.0, at the end after clicking on “save to Adobe Lightroom Classic”, I get an error message in Lightroom.
But the image is well saved in the source folder but not present in Lightroom. I think I will go back to version 1.2.10 until this problem is solved.

I am so disappointed with that update. All the work that I have done bevore with PAI looks like now like a drawing instead of enhancing sharpness or remove noise.

Is there a way to downgrade to 1.2.x? It is unusable for my work now. :frowning:

Also all the controls for switch between motion and lens blur are gone. Why? I was helpful to play with it due to in some situations it got better result with a diffrent options. It depends on the photo.

2 Likes

Yes you can go back to the old version. It is still on the site in the previous forum.
Read all the previous comments carefully.
Topaz Photo AI v1.2.10 - Topaz Photo AI / Releases - Topaz Community (topazlabs.com)

I can use the Brush to mask away that “jelly” area around her necklace, so sharpening isn’t applied in that area. Problem solved!!!

masked area…

The final result is spectacular! This can’t be achieved with the “new” sharpening model. Also, notice that there aren’t any artifacts or posterization either (if I missed anything, I know how to fix it)! How did I achieve that? Because I know the limitations of PAI 1.2.10 and used TIFF instead of JPG!!!

Without Topaz PAI w/Lens Blur I would have deleted this image that I will now cherish for a lifetime (it’s my daughter).

Your solution to fixing issues with Lens Blur + Motion Blur is to get rid of it and introduce another sharpening tool that, by your own account, doesn’t get the job done either!!! This makes no sense.

So, now those that didn’t like Lens + Motion Blur are happy. Those of us that preferred them are now unhappy.

If you’re going to introduce new tools, make sure they work well for the majority of users before releasing them. Or at least introduce them along with existing tools and then we can decide for ourselves which sharpening tool will work best for OUR images.

Please don’t “dumb-down” the app for the sake of a “one-size-fits” all. If you’re trying to create the one ultimate tool that will be perfect on any image… good luck. I don’t see it ever happening. In the process of creating the Holy Grail you’ll alienate your users. More tools, for the right situation, is better than a one-size-fits-all.

7 Likes

Yess it did Thanks!

1 Like

I totally agree.

:+1::+1::+1::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark:

JSYK, crashing is back w this version seems on larger files thanks

I think that previous version is a lot better when you try to recover a soft immage

2 Likes

@cameron.blocker

I just tried rel. 1.3.0 using a previously unprocessed Olympus .ORF (opened via ACR into Ps with no raw processing in ACR). I launched it into PAI Ps (2023) Plugin.

PAI automatically turned on Sharpen (which was needed) and didn’t turn on Denoise (which it always did in past releases - even when denoising not needed and sharpening was). The model it turned on was Std.

I thought it looked okay as a Capture Sharpen step (I never do ‘serious’ sharpening until I’m at my output stage of post-processing after I’ve noodled with all my ‘creative’ steps).

I tried to push the envelope and turn on the Strong model to compare. For this landscape image that model was too much (started getting a lot of “snow” from over-sharpening in the foliage). So, Std was the proper choice & I accepted that back to my Ps layer. See snip below (I label in filenames).

But - to the point of what I experienced with the triple exposure image I rpted yesterday, I didn’t get any visible artifacting with this image on either using Std or Strong Sharpen model previews. I scanned over the entire image (zoomed in) and don’t see blurry patches of grass, foliage on bushes/trees or in clouds.

I was able to send the PAI output back from the Ps layer into Topaz Adjust 5 (tiny violin sounds playing in background due to nostalgia from the good old days…) & it could work on the PAI output. Snip below (labelled) also.

Fotomaker_PAI130_W11PsPlugin-SharpenedOutput-TopazAdjust5PluginOutput

5 Likes

I think you should reconsider the location of the Subject-Refine “Done” button, as it is located on the same spot as the “Save” (purple) button.
It happened more than once that while editing a photo out of a series of photos, I mistakenly double clicked the subject-refining “Done” button and it turned to click the “Save” as well.

I agree. This is a downgrade. Image quality isnt as good.

Getting a strange artifact.

20230415-_42A9170-topaz-denoise-sharpen

3 Likes

@cc63 That looks like the strange color patch artifacts I got with this release too.

What system are you working on? I’m Win 11.

1 Like

1.3 also seems to have broken Lightroom Classic on Mac Ventura. It hangs and crashes on open unless I remove photo ai from my machine

Going back to previous versions assumes the support files will be maintained, since every release has a different set to download, yes?

I followed your instruction of processing an image by clicking “the File > Plug-in Extras > Process in Topaz Photo AI menu and send any image directly to Topaz Photo AI, then will import the processed image back into Lightroom Classic.” But I found the message after the processing by TPAI though TPAI started and finished successfully. Your help is greatly appreciated!