Topaz Photo AI v1.3.0

I understand your frustrations, and can assure you all the feedback is being collected and used to help determine what we should do both for these models and for future models.

4 Likes

That’s a very friendly euphemism!
In the current state, the new model is a step backwards.
With all due respect to the software developers:
If i look closely at my comparison, i find all the fine detail as fur, hair, textures, eyes, etc. much better rendered in the previous version. Not only sharper, but also more detailed.
https://community-cdn.topazlabs.com/original/3X/b/6/b680881a11ff1bc1567aad4f8390b331436a04a7.jpeg

6 Likes

Strange - on my system I get the correct profile when Photo AI 1.3 produces a DNG via LR using “Plug In Extra” from a RAW file. I have the same issue you have with Denoise AI

So glad I started reading the comments before I upgrade. Topaz did the same thing a year or so ago with Sharpen AI or DenoiseAI, I don’t remember which, but the result was the updgrade was much worse than the previous version. Unfortunately, I upgraded first and had to stop using the software for awhile. I typically like PhotoAI, so I will not be upgrading yet, especially considering I have to pay for it.

BTW - LRc added an AI Denoise tool. I tried it today and it worked great, it just takes a long time. I then sent the image to SharpenAI and the combination was very satisfactory. I sent the denoised image out of LRc to PhotoAI, and the image from SharpenAI was better.

I was wondering why PAI missed an obvious face here but was happy to find you can manually select them and it works fine.

Fantastic recovery from a scan of a 1990’s medium format negative (detail crop shown).

1 Like

In addition, there is nowhere to see which lens is being used to do the adjustment, if any at all

It’s strange that reinstalling Lightroom and Photo AI can fix the bug. That said, I updated to the latest version of Lightroom yesterday. But not yet tested if it fixes the bug with Photo AI.

I appreciate your time & efforts goetze_u to post your excellent comparison, but unfortunately I disagree with your judgement, and here is why. Sorry, but I have to use your pictures to do that. On the left side is PAI v1.3.0 result, and on the right PAI v1.2.10

As you can see on the comparison below on the left, girl’s eye, bottom of her nose, mouth, lips & chin rendered better, and need just little extra cosmetic work.

On the second image, eyes, lips and claws, or bullets, if I guessed correctly, are cleaner, but chin is better on the right.

On the last picture, right hand fingers and sword handle, left hand top finger with clearly visible fingernail and border line around palms of her hands, are better, cleaner than on the right.

With all due respect to you goetze_u , for some reason, you like sharpness of the image processed in PAI 1.2.10, probably on the small computer screen, and you can’t see those small differences in image quality from PAI v1.3.0

It’s still your choice, and you know better what looks good to you, but from technical, software development, and pro photographers point of view, that particular image, after processed in PAI 1.3.0 produce, not superior, but still better result.

3 Likes

I agree with the string of comments. The main reason I purchased Topaz AI was to salvage old photos and the version I purchased did an amazing job on them. Now the new release v1.3.0 doesn’t seem to do anything like the same salvage using the new (combined) sharpen. I can’t replicate the results from the older version using the new sharpen even with strong. Very very disappointed. Is there any way to revert to the previous version?

In my opinion the “new sharpen” looks most of the time more artificial than the old Algorithm… It’s looking often very like “plastic”…

1 Like

How can I revert to the version I purchased? Version 1.3.0 doesn’t sharpen nearly as well. It is a big disappointment

1 Like

Hi,

I use the crop tool very much.
In most cases I do not use a fixed image ratio.
This means that I have always first unlock the fixed ratio in the crop tool.
It would be easier if the tool could remember the last used setting
(free ratio or some selected fixed ratio).
This is just a minor consideration, in any case, thank you for a great tool!

1 Like

If the version you want is not in the Releases section, as this post is, raise a support request at the main website.

The current & 2 most recent releases are under the Product Releases tab of the discussion forum. Organized by product. If you want to roll back, suggest you uninstall what you are using now before doing so.

I accept your analysis.
We do pixel peeping in 100% views from a 20MP sensor image with iso1250 and to long shutter speed here.
(Or at least out of focus)
I don’t think there’s any point in discussing this further as everyone has different preferences.
But that’s the point:
If we had more manual control or different models, we wouldn’t have to have these conversations.

If I manage to only shoot tack sharp photos in the future, I won’t have this problem at all anymore. :grinning:

6 Likes

I initially was very disappointed in the 1.3.0 release. As a new user of Topaz AI I was VERY impressed with the previous release and how well it handled sharpening and especially motion blur. When I tested the new release on a very blurred landscape image nothing happened. The blur was entirely removed in v1.2.10. In poking around the new release I found that “Subject only” was defaulted to “on” when the Sharpen panel is expanded. As soon as I turned this off and selected “Standard” and played with the Strength and Clarity sliders I was able to achieve the same results. I appreciate the ability to control things but, certainly for landscape photos, defaulting “Subject Only” to on is useless and will probably confuse a number of users as it did me. It would be nice to be able to select the default state of the toggle in Preferences.

3 Likes

Subject only is suggested whenever there is a subject, as that’s what it’s using to determine the enhancements and params to recommend - in the autopilot configuration you can default the subject to “none” and then it will not recommend subject only. You can still manually change subject on a per-image basis.

I was experiencing the same issue with the new sharpening model in release 1.3.0, and spent quite a while, finally finding the download link for the previous release 1.2.10 here: Topaz Photo AI v1.2.10.

I strongly recommend to uninstall the current version first. I did NOT do so, ending up with a corrupted version. After completely uninstalling everything (with the caveat, that you obviously don’t need to delete all the *.tz model-files and *.json files in the ‘models’ folder), it works again. (sigh!)

OK, thanks for the quick response. I had set the subject type to “Landscape” but that did not suggest a real subject, just some subject splotches on the image. I’ll reset it to “None.”