Topaz Photo AI v1.2.9

The problem with the dngs from Topaz Photo AI relative to Darktable was meant as an information.
I have used the dngs from DxO for months now. As I wrote - they are significantly smaller and react with Darktable much like a raw file, except for the demosaicing and raw denoising nicely provided by DxO PureRAW 2-3.
They are probably behaving much like tifs.

With this latest update Topaz Photo AI v1.2.9 no longer loads as a plugin in Capture One Pro.
Any info about why that is happening?

Go to the C1 preferences and make sure it is selected in the Plugins section.

They are TIFFs in a DNG wrapper with a profile.

What’s the activation code for the beta?? For some reason I’m having trouble.

There is no activation code it checks your account to activate. What is the issue you are facing?

1 Like

Hmm…let me check why it might be asking me to activate. Perhaps I did something stupid.

Been playing with the MacBeth colour chart and AI 2.9… So far the colour looks OK , not as good as I get from a custom profile ( my choice) but quite usable but for one tweak. As I said before if you want a “safe” look for polishing in Photoshop it is OK , but if you are trying to go for a stand alone RAW converter to a finished tiff, then you need to use around 80% of a medium contrast curve in photoshops default curves. The least strong of the colours is the orange which is a little degraded, but more than usable for 90% of folk.

It’s really weird your case. Because I don’t have the problem. My Raw ORF files import into Lightroom, if I send the image into Photo AI through file/extra/Topaz Photo Ai, it opens fine in that one and then when I do save to lightroom, it saves as a DNG file and I still know how to manipulate the generated image.

Per Adobe: DNG stands for Digital Negative Image . DNG is an open-source, royalty-free, highly compatible, and continuously improving RAW image format that was built for editing photos.

1 Like

Just so that you are very clear on this, DNGs are NOT RAW unless they are generated in a camera as RAW contains sensor data.

If you like generate a DNG from your cameras RAW image, change the extension back to that of the RAW image and see if the cameras RAW converter will open it.

The only way a DNG (not RAW) can be used to recover the RAW file is if it is embedded at the time of conversion to DNG which is an archive format.

3 Likes

You are incorrect. a DNG IS a type of RAW file. Or are you saying Adobe, who invented DNGs in 2004 are wrong?

Facts:

1. https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/file-types/image/comparison/dng-vs-raw.html
  2. If you open a DNG file in Lightroom you still have the ability to adjust the White Balance based on the Kelvin temperature (just like the original RAW file). You can not do that with a TIFF file.
  3. Another Adobe quote: " DNG means Digital Negative. It’s a type of [raw file format] used in digital photography, developed on the [TIFF] 6.0 format."

If you have information that contradicts this and proves your point please provide the Facts not your opinion.

You need to read the link you posted especially where it explains " What is the difference between DNG and RAW files?"

1 Like

RAW files created by cameras do not have the demosaicing process applied. Raw sensor data is simply the information that is captured by the camera’s sensor without any interpolation or processing. The raw sensor data typically contains only luminance values for each pixel, and the color information is captured by filtering the light using a color filter array (CFA), such as the popular Bayer pattern. Therefore, demosaicing is required to convert the raw sensor data into a full-color image.

When you convert a RAW file to DNG using Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Camera Raw software, the demosaicing process is applied during the conversion process. This means that the software interpolates the raw sensor data captured by the camera using a demosaicing algorithm, and then converts the interpolated data into the DNG file format.

During the conversion process, you have the option to specify the demosaicing method to use, such as “Adobe Standard” or “Camera Standard,” or you can choose to use a custom demosaicing profile. The demosaicing method that you choose can have a significant impact on the quality and accuracy of the resulting image.

3 Likes

Just out of curiosity, is this a ChatGPT description?

3 Likes

I know the difference between a DNG and RAW file. That wasn’t the discussion. You stated a DNG file is NOT a RAW file. Which is incorrect per the facts I presented. A DNG file IS a “type” of RAW file. You’ve yet to provide information that states otherwise.

DNG is always treated as a RAW file type, but they can contain non-RAW data. Specifically if you look at the PhotometricInterpretation EXIF value in a DNG you can tell whether it is RAW Bayer data (Color Filter Array) or semi-processed RGB data (Linear RAW). I think that’s probably what AiDon is trying to get at.

There are several cameras that take true RAW images in DNG format, for example Leica cameras. I believe I’ve seen some Sony cameras take true RAW DNGs as well, but those may have been Adobe conversions that kept the CFA data. On the other hand, my S22 Ultra takes DNG images but those are Linear RAW and thus are not true RAW image data even though they are in a RAW type container.

In Photo AI we have to handle these two types differently for the RAW model and various color profile things. If we get a DNG, we have to check whether it is Linear RAW or not. If it’s Linear RAW we cannot support it via the RAW model since that requires Bayer data. If it’s CFA, then we can use the RAW model because it has RAW data.

Since we process the image data in Photo AI we cannot work backwards from RGB to RGGB Bayer data, so we always save out DNGs as Linear RAW.

5 Likes

It can be added in the Allowed applications section but can’t be uploaded in the Open With plugin section. When the add (+) is clicked Capture One asks for something with the *.coplugin extension. It did find Topaz Photo AI before this latest update. Not sure if it is a Capture One issue or a Topaz issue.