Topaz Photo AI v1.2.4

No, I mean that the masking brush is hidden and I almost gave up trying to find it. Look at the panel, the masking brush is nowhere and even “refine” is meaningless.

1 Like

Ahhh, now I see what you mean!

Yes, agree, it would be cool to have a little Brush Icon on the Refine button. Since that was a symbol Topaz used as a convention for masking in the past.

Squares are present in the background after RAW > DNG workflow.

1. Noise reduction + Sharpening applied

2. Cropped up 2x upscale

3. Enhance Resolution = High Fidelity

The Squares do not appear if I do not crop and use Enhance Resolution. I uploaded the image to your dropbox.

1 Like

I was looking at the square issue recently. Can you help confirm you saw the same thing on this image? Thanks!

Applying cropping → set to 2X → turning on toggles of sharpen and denoise (enhance resolution is on, by auto).
No squares in preview. Saving to png, no square. Saving to dng, squares show up.

I can confirm that the squares are not visible in the preview. Only when saved back to Lightroom as a DNG. I don’t have the option to save to PNG.

1 Like

Also, if it helps, squares do not appear if I turn off Sharpening.

1 Like

here’s my latest attempt to process a photo from Lightroom using the pulldown tab:

Check that Photo AI has write access to the location you are writing to.

I believe the latest update to MacOS requires that applications have to have full access to disks through settings.

I see 4 likes for this thread . That is mean some people exhibit the same issue
That looks quite a tricky problem because now I have a picture wich appears 4 times too big in Denoise AI , 2 times too big in Sharpen AI and correct in Topaz AI 1.2.5 so a different figure I reported initially . It’s stange to me that Topaz never recognise an issue there . But not sure anybody take it seriously
Be aware I am using a pretty standard display software /hardware
Windows 11 GPU RTX 3600 Display in 4k 3840*2160 with 200% windows scale magnification

After some more investigation, I find that All my RAW files, be it .CR2, .MRW or .ORF seem to exibit this issue, so either it is something seriously wrong with my particular setup , but I doubt this, since it is present both when forcing GPU or CPU, or something is wrong in the display processing. You could probably test with any of your own RAW files and see if you have this issue as well : Just use standalone mode, set raw denoise to ON and enhance resolution to ON, and then magnify the view to 200/400 %. On my system this makes the vertical scaling increase way more than the horizontal scaling, thus distorting the image. And if you have faces in the image and face recovery on, the faces will not align.

Best Regards
HAL

It seems to depend on the image. In this street scene, the faces further away from the camera, which are out of focus, definitely produce a shift.
I didn’t check the difference between vertical and horizontal scaling.
I am using v1.2.5 on an M1 Mac mini with 16GB RAM

Does this still happen if you truning off the denoise function?

You are at 100% magnification in the screenshot. Even then you get misalignment. Try to increase magnification to 200 or 400%. That’s when I get massive vertical scaling errors.

Regards
HAL

If this is a reply to the vertical scaling error issue : It only happens when RAW denoise is ON AND enhance resolution is ON. If either of the 2 is OFF it won’t happen.

Regards
HAL

No displacement when noise reduction is off, just the usual issue with hair (esp the guy on the right). Truth to tell, this is not an image I would normally want to upscale or use face refinement on!

Well, as long as it is an image that exemplifies the issue, it doesn’t matter…
It only happens in combination with RAW denoise, not if the source is JPG for instance.
I also noted that you commented on the other issue with poor blending between the face recovery and the background. In your example the hair is better in the face recovery part. I have also come across the opposite, when the regular processing gets very nice hair restauration, and then the face recovery parts of the hair is considerably more blurred. I guess it depends on the chosen parameters for the non-face parts. I hope this is something they are working on.

Regards
HAL

Thank you both for the inputs. Will look at this.