Topaz Photo AI v1.2.3

For starting from a blank canvas, you can use the “None” option for the subject, and then manually mask the parts you want.

2 Likes

Hi
I’ve noticed the sharpening feature appears to be off. Not nearly as sharp as 1.2.2.

My latest example of face recovery with v1.2.3:

1 Like

For me the auto levels for many images are too aggressive, however I don’t suggest that everyone has the same exact perception or requirement… so hows about a pair of sliders in the Autopilot Configuration menu, where a user can dial it down for either noise reduction or sharpening. I know it is possible to use the Photoshop plugin and revert the last filter by say 50 % , but that is not the route for an every time usage.

I was developing an image in Photo AI v. 1.2.3 and viewing the image in side-by-side view. I clicked on the single image view icon and the program disappeared from the screen. Assuming that I had missed the single image button with my click, I restarted Photo AI, imported several images, viewing the first image in single image view. This time, when I clicked on the side-by-side view icon (making sure that I hit the icon) the program again disappeared from the screen. The uploaded Topaz log file is from the second crash.

Windows System State after Topaz Photo AI Crash on 230224.txt (942.6 KB)

2023-02-24-09-19-21.tzlog (2.1 MB)

PNG Compression there it is thank you!

Why is PhotoAI constantly and severely over sharpening?

3 Likes

Here is SharpenAI with much better rendering:

3 Likes

Same for me with just one picture switching from single to dual or dual to single view I got crashes , it looks not everytime

Windows 11 gpu rtx 3060

Have you tried adjusting the strength and clarity sliders?

You’re posting in the wrong forum. This one is for Photo AI.

I have, in general PhotoAI AutoPilot is severely over sharpening and its noise reduction settings kill all image texture.

As I understand, the whole point of PhotoAi is the Autopilot settings. I am pointing to a real problem that is in the heart of the product. This is not usable and not comparable to the Sharpen and Giga counterparts.
PhotoAi appears to be trained with an awful visual aesthetic.

Great example and feedback. The new Remove Noise and Sharpen models in the pipeline should address this pretty well. Depending on our testing, we may also enable an option to restrict denoising to the subject only (like Sharpen).

Your best bet would be to try the Enhance Resolution Standard model. However, Face Recovery often works better than its surroundings; to reduce the jarring effect, try reducing the Face Recovery Strength slider.

Upcoming new models have more sensitive sliders and should address this better than current Sharpen / Denoise models. Still in development (new models take a while) but early signs are promising.

9 Likes

Thank you for that info, Eric!

That’s great to know.

In addition to my own use of Topaz products to make fine art photography, I started producing Photoshop how to videos middle of last yr targeted to other serious photographers.

In the videos, I demo how to use Ps & 3rd party “tools” to achieve different effects or looks. Wherever possible I try to include Topaz products in that mix b/c I’ve been a longtime user. But I can only do so if they support me achieving what I need to. And, do so reliably.

I’m looking forward to the expanded masking and image detail recognition features that have been mentioned as in progress.

Thx again for your reply!

1 Like

Thanks for all the work guys. I’m starting to use Photo AI a lot more and it’s really getting there.

One thing that I really really miss, is an add grain option as a final step like you have in Sharpen AI.

2 Likes

That’s something that used to be an inherent feature in the “classic” Topaz products!

It was something I regularly used - at a low setting like 3 - to be sure I maintained details in the shadows of an image after tweaking & smoothing an image (either globally or selectively). Being able to add grain like that can keep an image from becoming too ‘plastic’ or over-worked in post-processing looking. If plasticized, a photographic image, that one wants to have a photo look, can instead look more like an illustration.

2 Likes

No I am speaking of Photo Ai

I’m sorry, lencludc, I responded to the wrong post. I find the forum layout quite confusing at times.

My god the 3 sliders is such a godsend, it gives us true control over the enhancements, before it was very strict with no fine tuning but now this is SO GOOD. And great job separating into 4 enhancement types, it really allows you to choose the most appropriate/best working one for any image.

@yazi.saradest
Regarding the much awaited (and appreciated) PNG compression, I was surprised to find that a 6x image at still came out to 255mb even at 9 compression. After, as a test I put it through PNG Lv9 compression again with an external application (the way I would before the png compression in TAI was available) and I was able to compress it by 70% YES 70 (255MB > 74MB).

Are we sure it’s working as intended/fully? Thank you