Topaz Photo AI v1.2.2

THANK YOU! I appreciate the XMP file read!

I really like the way Denoise AI works to save photos. I usually go back after tweeking with Topaz to my iMac Photo app and Denoise AI lets me stay in Photos for that. I have to save Photo AI to a separate folder and drag it back to Photo to complete my editing…is that a possibility with Photo AI? Also, I like to adjust my setting in Photo AI, is there a way to save a setting so it can be used on other photos without my needing to start from scratch? Thanks in advance

Im finding that the motion blur model is no where close to being as good as it was in Topaz Sharpen. I compared the same image in both products and Topaz Sharpen was hands down the winner with every setting. Im hoping we can get the same results in photo ai in the near future.

5 Likes

I’m using autopilot with auto-upscaling is set to a fixed output height. (Other settings are portrait for subject, sharpen medium and high for blurred images, and no face detection.)

After dropping a folder of images, each shorter than the auto-upscaling setting, and pressing “Save”, autopilot does not upscale all images to the desired height. Note there are no tiny images, and that most don’t need more than 1.5 or 2.0x upscaling, and many only need 1.1x.

If I click on each image’s thumbnail in the carousel first, sometimes the upscaling icon is shown over the thumnail, other times not. When the icon is missing, the upscaling control shows the toggle is off too, yet the output height and upscaling factor have the right values even though they’re ignored when processed. If I toggle the upscaling on in this case, the green dot on the thumbnail disappears, while it is present when the program has turned on upscaling it’s own.

Sometimes, after clicking on another thumbnail and then back to the previous, it will show upscaling toggled on and the upscaling icon shows on the thumbnail, even though I have not change the controls or interacted with the image.

Prior to I believe version 1.1.8 (??), the output height was always respected. This led me to believe that the setting meant that the output would be set to the configured size. Now, it appears that maybe autopilot determines that upscaling doesn’t improve image quality, and then doesn’t upscale. If this was a design change, I would request that the previous behavior be restored, that is, always apply the Auto-Upscaling autopilot settings. If this is a bug, please fix it so my workflow doesn’t require clicking on every thumbnail and manually turning on upscaling when autopilot doesn’t.

With landscapes it often doesn’t detect a subject. If I try to select a subject and click on landscape it shows a mask but says its refining mask. If I click Done anyway it then doesn’t give the option of applying sharpening to the subject. If I use a mask to show anything I can then click on Landscape, get the mask and apply sharpening to just the mask.

I’m running Mac Ventura 13.1. When downloading Photo AI 1.2.2 everything stopped after download has been completed. Installer does not come up. Please help.

I’m not a Mac user. Perhaps another user who is can tell you what they experience.

What do you mean, “Installer does not come up”?

Do you not see a Mac installer at the top of this thread? Or, are you unable to run it once you download it? Can you pls be more descriptive of the steps you take & what you see?

Often Photo Ai fails to detect the subject correctly. In defining it, it takes forever to cover the large brush over the image to include all the areas I want to include as the subject. And painting in the areas is quite splotchy. Can you fix this? Thanks. The problem is especially concerning when the sky is cloudy or not obvious. Thanks.

3 Likes

HI,
Standard brush will be coming in V.1.2.3 or .4 as per Adam ( software engineer ). that will make brushing easier.

Canon Eos R6
Purple Fringing
on m1 MacBook Air
v1.2.2

2 Likes

Next time read the contents of the thread you are posting in please.

When I process a DNG image in Photo AI from Lightroom (File–Plugin Extras–Process in Photo AI) the results are great but when I save back to Lightroom, there is no change in the new image.
Oddly, using Lightroom’s Edit In command works properly.
Windows 11 – latest versions of LR and Photo AI.
DxDiag.txt (128.0 KB).

I am trying to update Photo AI from 1.1.7 to 1.2.2 but every installer just prematurely ends without completing the install? I can’t even uninstall Photo AI?
DxDiag.txt (103.9 KB)
Topaz Photo AI Installer Log.txt (156.9 KB)
Topaz
It doesn’t give me the option to run as Administrator either? Windows 11 Pro

A couple of versions ago someone suggested Revo Uninstaller, and I have been using it ever since as a “better safe than sorry” way of updating. It is kind of a pia though having to go through the full process every update (and “release” old taken seats in the process) but considering the amount of posts I’ve read from people having issues related to just applying updates on top of previous version…
Revo Uninstaller is also available as a portable app, which for me is a bonus.

1 Like

Cannot install in Mac with the full downloaded file. fail during installation. any feedback? thx.

I have an improvement suggestion. I often see that Topaz Photo AI will reduce noise and not sharpen. Even if the photo is blurry. When it’s finished noise reduction and preview is updated, I can se before and after noise reduction. If I then sharpen the photo, it’s not possible to se before and after sharpening. Before is before noise reduction. I want to se the differece with or without sharpening, both with noise reduction. So it would have been very nice if that could be possible.

3 Likes

Issue 1

I noticed in the Queue Summary that it might say, for example, A255827-topaz-denoise-enhance.jpeg - JPG → JPEG 300x447 → 845x1260; the actual file would be named A255827-topaz-denoise-enhance.jpeg, but the dimension remains 300x447. I do not know if it makes a difference, but in the example, the resolution was 300x300; normally, my archive, which I’m working is a resolution of 72.

Issue 2
I also noticed if I’m batch processing and the images included are of a dimension larger than what I have set in preferences, Photo AI sometimes appears to stop labeling images beyond the original file name plus appending “-topaz” even for images that it should have upsized. The question becomes, was any processing done?

David Starr’s iMac.spx (5.4 MB)

Using the latest version 1.2.2 on a Win11.

The option to minimize the screen/tab doesn’t work. It did not work in any other version.

1. The bug / behavior you have encountered
  2. Your system profile
  3. Your log files (Help > Logging > Get Logs for Support)
  4. Any screenshots as necessary

[Please be sure to have searched for your bug before posting. Duplicate posts will be removed.]

Hi. I was going through a few photos of my old phone and challenged PhotoAI with this one.
It completely obliterated the fabric texture (and the herb leaves are a bit smooth) except for one small patch, even outside the selection (noise suppression ignores that by design, correct?)