Topaz Photo AI v1.0.6

Part 2 Night Test:

Shift-Command-4 allows you to choose which section of your screen to capture :wink:

In both version 1.0.5 and 1.0.6, any eyes get changed to a greenish color. It has to do with Recover Faces part.

Unable to use program as is until fixed.

PAI 1.0.6 Standalone. Win 11 Pro desktop PC. Processor = Auto (other specs aboveā€¦). Worked with ARW (Sony raw) image of classic car in car museum (ie, very low light & lots of pin lites on cars, darn it) - no prior processing.

@PaulM - I was able to use Spacebar then move after clicking on the Nav Box. Thx!

Anthony, et. al. -

I still have issues with how Autopilot detects & processes.

Hereā€™s the series of approaches I tried with the image: 1-Full AP-settings (which includes the ubiquitously assigned ā€œStdā€ Sharpen model), 2-my manual change to Lens Blur Model (no other slider modifs.), 3-my manual change to Motion Blur Model (no other slider changes), 4-my manual change to Motion Blur Model (+ my boosts to sharpening strength & clarity sliders).

The snips for those steps follow ā€¦

Full Autopilot - It didnā€™t clean any of the color noiseā€¦ It chose Std Sharpen Model (as usual) which didnā€™t sharpen the subject of the shot:

Autopilot + My Manual Change to Lens Blur Sharpen Model (no other changes) - is slightly sharper & is denoised:

Autopilot + My Manual Change to Motion Blur Sharpen Model (no other changes) - is sharper than Lens Blur & is denoised:

Autopilot + My Manual Change to Motion Blur Sharpen Model (+ manual sharpen & clarity slider boosts) - is usably sharp & is denoised; could perhaps be sharper, but not worth the addā€™l time for this demo:

My takeaway, to date, is that I would not want to be reading the newspaper (or, napping) while Autopilot was driving. The addā€™l user-controlled settings & custom (brush) masking feature additions that sound like theyā€™re on the roadmap will be essential for the product to be useful in my applns.

3 Likes

Most other applications use the Alt key where you hold it down and brush giving the opposite of what you are using until you let the key go when it will switch back.

Good to know! :paintbrush: Anthonyā€™s right click suggestion worked too.

BTW, does the Tilde (sp?) key take away from whatā€™s painted too? I think it does in Psā€¦ at least if content is painted onto a transparency layer.

Thanks again for another update!

Unfortunately, the issue Iā€™m having with the image below still persist (blurry upscale). That said, Photo AI works great when upscaling other images, so I donā€™t understand whatā€™s so special about this one that it canā€™t get right.

BTW, Iā€™m on Windows 10 Pro Build 19045 (All the latestā€™s updates installed).

Hi, would you mind sharing the RAW file?
thanks

It still defaults to the standard window size. How come Sharpen, Gigapixel and De-noise can manage to remember the last time it was opened and adjust accordingly? Honestly, at this point, itā€™s really bad that this hasnā€™t been fixed. This should have been dealt with from the very first beta.

1 Like

https://we.tl/t-CkOjrC6DFw

As I said, itā€™s difficult to judge what settings are best since the image is dark. I seem to recall that there is or was one photo software that enabled one to lighten dark images. Not sure if it was from Topaz.

Hi Anthony,

Enjoying seeing the improvements to Photo AI and evaluating it alongside the existing IQ Bundle apps, itā€™s clear thereā€™s a lot of development work being carried out. (Itā€™s gradually getting tougher to better Photo AI).

Iā€™m including a screen dump of two tests with PAI v1.0.6 from today (of a *.CR3 raw file from a Canon R5) which I processed from Lightroom Classic (v12.0) using the raw plug-in and the traditional ā€˜Edit Inā€™ route (16-bit ProPhoto RGB TIFF). Both of the returned DNG/ TIFF files showed areas with a rainbow type discolouration in the feathers of the subject which were not apparent with the original file (TIFF left/ DNG right). Otherwise I thought the outcome was pretty decent (I used the AI brush to slightly modify the mask and had to reduce the sharpening values - still somewhat over-enthusiastic in this respect for my tastes!).

Make of this what you will, but keep up the great work. Kind regards, Phil
(MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB, macOS Monterey v12.6).

Youā€™re going to need to resign yourself to the fact that youā€™re going to NEED to pre-process some images in a RAW editor BEFORE you use the Topaz productsā€¦ I downloaded your image and tested it as a RAW image and as an edited-Raw image and received good results by fixing the exposure before sending to Topazā€¦ I know you only want an ā€œexposureā€ adjustment, but it gets crazy with feature creep because everybody wants a different adjustment for their imagesā€¦ and eventually, you have a bloated RAW editor that doesnā€™t do anything well, and everything crappy. Nice image, BTW.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I too was thinking itā€™s best to adjust exposure before sending it to a Topaz product. My main photo editor is On1 PR 2023 and it has the ability to export as a DNG. I will give that image another go.

One of the things Iā€™ve noticed in all of Topazā€™s products isā€¦ They will NOT fix bad imagesā€¦ they all work best when using a quality imageā€¦ That starts in the cameraā€¦ The better the image, the better Topazā€™s resultsā€¦

We really need a way to copy a preset manually tweaked settings and apply them to all loaded images. Say if you tweak the blur settings you can easily apply them to all loaded images. Rad product so far just needs this feature to work well with images used for photogrammetry and large data sets.

I agree. Partially. GPAI did a decent job for me fixing scans of old colour slides.

Yea, for wedding denoising i use the Standard Model of DenoiseAI but Photo AI does it a little bit better. (Better Luminance noise denoise)

I would also like to have a way to sync settings to other images.

Agree, that the denoising is quite good in PAI. If it gets too smooth, the sliders usually help with some detail recovery.

Iā€™d like the sharpening to catch up (along with the masking - auto & custom brushed in).

Something in PAI (I honestly assume itā€™s the sharpening - given all the other issues with sharpening & A.P. not accurately sensing correct sharpening model and defaulting to Standard) is making lines in objects/subjects notably wavier & generally too soft - it ends up being an odd combo of both. I donā€™t know if itā€™s related to the pixel shift that developed in rel. 1.0.4 (& continues still ā€¦) thatā€™s throwing off a straighter edges look. Others, besides me, have rptd this, B/c itā€™s not been addressed Iā€™m assuming the code cannot be corrected. Or, the crashing issues have consumed all man(person?)power.

1 Like

When editing photos this morning I noticed that sometimes (not every time) when I would refine a mask and click Done that the photo would be displayed without any noise reduction even though prior to starting the refine action all noise had been removed. In each case this was resolved by changing the display size from 100% to any lower number and then back to 100%. That action would always resolve the situation.

Mac M1 mini (2020) 16GB Monterey 12.6

Each time I invoke the current Photo AI from Lightroom Classic, I get a tiny window (well, too small to work with effectively). I expand it to about 2/3 full screen, but Photo AI doesnā€™t remember my window settings next time. Very annoying.

1 Like