Topaz Photo AI v1.0.1

Another vote for defaulting all processing to off when loading a picture, then the user can select whether to use the autopilot or manually enable the various modules.

Easy tweak to the code.

Like with other software, when enabling a module it could still suggest what it thinks the right values are for sharpening, denoise etc.

But leave it to the user to turn autopilot on/off.

3 Likes

Nikon D810… 36M is the spec, but the files range from 33M to 44M uncompressed NEF… There are several smaller Compressed options, but I never shoot compressed…

That’s just to represent its locked and can’t currently be toggled.

Hi, Thanks for the Update.

An issue I noticed on the new version is that the “Allow auto-upscaling” will not remain selected and has to be selected prior to choosing images to process.

Detecting subject remains slow even on higher-end hardware.

As others have mentioned, allow the toggle of auto subject selection.

When processing is complete and images are saved - allow the option of closing all images automatically.

I enjoy using Mac Photos app to manage my images, the integration with this is not quite on par with Gigapixel and Sharpen - would love to be able to right click on a image, use Photo AI, and have it over-write the image in Photos?

Thanks for your consideration - product is promising!

Maybe a different color might be a better indication.

1 Like

Hello,

The sharpening quality issues I’ve mentioned for PAI 1.0 are still in place. It seems nothing has been changed.

May I ask you to clarify if all SharpenAI models will eventually appear in PhotoAI? Are you going to add an option to disable Autopilot feature?

Sergii

Long-term, TPAI should have the majority if not all the functionality of the previous IQ apps, but we’re not just pulling them all in at once so we can give each feature the attention it deserves, and give ourselves the opportunity to re-think the design decisions present in the older apps.

That’s why the list of things we’re actively working on says the reported problems rather than the suggested solutions. While we’re of course considering the specific suggestions users give us, we’re making sure to consider alternatives.

With respect to disabling AP, I think our solution to the “AP takes too long” issue we listed in the changelog will go a long way without outright disabling AP.

8 Likes

I miss:

1. Before the RAW development, the brightness adjustment of shadows etc. In the shadows, details are softened, brightening in the post-process is pointless. I still have to develop the CR3 from the Canon R5 with DxO Photolab.
  2. A transfer of the settings to other images, e.g. autopilot, but gigapixel “low res” to an individual resolution. Batch processing existed in the other Topaz programs.
1 Like

I completely agree with you about being able to brighten the shadows in RAW development. It is a major weakness for anyone with high dynamic range images. Really just needs a curves or levels adjustment and a histogram.

1 Like

Hi, OK firstly no disrespect to Topaz but am I the only one that feels they have pushed the button for the release of TP a little to soon?
Have been following along with the not all but a lot of posts here and so many people before the release stated what they felt was missing or what was not quite working correctly and now still on here although it seems Topaz don’t visit to often or at all because so many replies of “take it up with support” there are still numerous faults (for want of a better word) being stated. Yes I no it is a new product but it does seem to have been a bit of a rush since we where first offered the chance to try it out.
I no we live now in a society that wants to run before they can walk but that just not happen anywhere never mind in software development but PLEASE Topaz give an option to refine a selection!!!

Thank You, Russ.

7 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree with you Russell - the idea for this software was good in principal, but in practice it is not anywhere near as useable as it should be, I hope going forward that Topaz listen to it’s users and make changes/improvements going forward.
Mark

3 Likes

Hi Anthony, thank you for the prompt reply!

I fully understand that you prioritize the features of PAI according to your goals. But I have to say (as your customer) that I don’t like such approach. Output image quality is a very basic thing. Moreover, it’s the most critical thing. If the result is poor, everything else just doesn’t matter. Unfortunately the parity between PhotoAI and SharpenAI from image quality perspective is not achieved yet.

About autopilot. 99.9% of my photos are landscapes and architecture shorts taken with full frame or medium format cameras. There is nothing to detect. You try to push me towards using AP, but I don’t need that function at all. That means I won’t use it, I won’t pay any attention on how it works, if it has any issues or not. AP always wastes my time regardless of the processing speed. Why not to give me (and may be the other customers with the similar preferences) an option to turn AP off completely?

4 Likes

I could imagine that many of the issues happen because Photo AI wants to do all more or less at the same time so things get confused. If Photo AI would apply upscale, sharpen and denoise one after another and preferrably in the users order like layers in Photoshop the result should be very similar to using Sharpen AI, Denoise AI and Gigapixel AI one after another and avoid confusing processing mistakes at the same time! :blush:

Drag & Drop is not working (W10)

I second this Russell. The selection refinement sliders in Photo AI are unusable.
The refinement brushes in Sharpen AI do a much better job. Please Topaz add these brushes to Photo AI.
Dieter

3 Likes

The integration as plugin in Lightroom Classic is not working on my machine.
WIN10 pro, 32GB, MSI MPG X570 Edge Wifi, Nvidia GTX1060 6GB, SSD 970 EVO+, 860 EVO plus more SSD/HD
It’s not possible to use AI as a plugin in Lightroom. There always appears the screen for searching a file on disk…

@anthony.lawn I think you should fix this forum software… Don’t allow a user to access the Reply button unless they’ve read all the previous posts in a thread… :rofl:

Still Poor noise control…
35mm Neg Scan Nikon CoolScan

I don’t have AVX2 support on my cpu, how necessary is it for running v1.0.1 ? I am running v1.0 fine but the installer now checks for AVX2 so I can’t do any updates. ie Would v1.0.1 run without AVX2?, and if so could you take out the installer checks?

3 Likes

Hello everyone.

Since the new update it has become a drag to toggle Recover Faces on and off.
I used to do that a lot to decide on some picture if i wanted it and the amount but it is now locked to subject selection.

It is a lot less user friendly and make using Recover Faces a bit of a drag.

Is it possible to enable the toggle button again. We could always select the face manualy on the subject selection if we want.

Thanks,