Topaz Photo AI v0.9

I also tried with a JPG file & the something happened, starts to open PAI, then crashes.

Subjects were correctly detected but we certainly want to edit the mask in order to apply the motion blur sharpening to only the flying cormoran

1 Like

The new Raw handling workflow from LRC works well and is an important addition. However when I view the resultant .dng the exposure has been boosted by 2 stops. Easily corrected but clearly undesirable.

The original raws are .orf from an Olympus EM1 Mkiii. No profiles, or indeed any work, applied before opening other that anything which LRC does when the files are imported.

A little experimentation shows that if I apply the correct linear profile to the .dng this does not happen. Perhaps the problem is to do with profile handling from the original .orf?

regards

Hec

2 Likes

Doing bird photos in Lightroom classic. I like 90% of Photo AI! Faster to use than the multiple plugins. However, there is always a however, I find that the Sharpen is a bit heavy handed and in the majority of images back it off to about half the automatic value. Noise is good, exactly what I would wish for. No idea what Enhance does or is supposed to do. Thus far I can’t see it doing much and don’t see the point. Haven’t seen any discussion/explanation anywhere. Maybe I’m just short sighted! Face recovery a non event for me as I don’t do faces - unless they were bird faces. Haven’t needed Resize yet but I liked it in the previous plugin.
It would be useful to be able to set up one’s own set of adjustments to modify the AI results. So, for my images noise OK but I’d make Sharpening about 50% of the AI amount. This would streamline the process for me. The reason for mentioning this is that I find the edges become too contrasty with bird feathers with the AI result.
Apart from this the software is a considerable improvement over the multiple plugins that had to be called up in Lightroom.

You are not alone…

1 Like

Perfectly agree and again we ned to edit the subject mask

lightroom or topaz is looking to save as DNG when i go thru file.>plug-in extras

Hi
just to give some feedback on an otherwise really nice program.

version 0.9.0 has some issues, the most annoying so far is some weird auto cropping on my Panasonic Lumix images

as you can see most of the image is cut off and removed, and these are standard RW2 files.

the second big issue is the denoise, yes I have seen others mention this but, it has gone from good to useless, it just removes all details in dark and/or uniform areas,

I’m guessing these are just some accidental whoopsies since I did not encounter these two problems in the last release :slight_smile:
keep up the good work

Both… You can’t edit/save a RAW file non-destructively… that’s big deal with LR, it non-destructive editing of RAW files… Soooo… even though PAI sees and gets a RAW from LR, it can’t save those changes back to the original RAW file, so it must send back a DNG file…

While I have absolutely zero interest in processing raws with photo AI I can confirm broken (cropped) handling of RW2 raws from a Panasonic G9.

While I am here I will also mention noise removal is often terrible. I recall someone recently questioning which side of the split preview is the original/processed image. I thought that was strange because in every implementation I have seen the original is on the left. Then I saw some images where the opposite seemed to be true. Turns out denoise is so good at trashing detail it thinks is noise that it looks like the sides of the preview have been swapped.

Hi, Had a couple of instances of a strange ‘tearing’ being evident on exported DNG files. Example screenshot included with tearing visible towards the lower part of the image (note masking miss inset).

(Original raw file from Canon R5. MacBook Pro M1 Max 10-core 32GB Memory. macOS Monterey v12.5.1. Lr v11.5. Photo AI v0.9.0).

Phil

Nice face detection :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Topaz Photo AI 0.9 Cropping images

When raw image from Panasonic G9 is opened with Photo AI, the image is cropped by 50%. At moment I find this program not usable do to this issue. I have tried deleting and reinstalling but issue still the same. Cannot recommend program at this time. Using MacBook Pro M1 Max, OS Monterey 12.5.1

Sample image attached.

1 Like

Processing raw files and saving as dng or using as a plug in from Affinity Photo freezes my PC for some minutes. OK if I use tiffs as stand alone. It uses a lot of memory. Plenty of time to make a coffee while its saving.

You may want to check that for system meets the minimum requirements as listed on this forum.

That’s all good.

Please open DeNoise or Sharpen, go to Help menu select Graphics info press copy and paste here.

Me too???

windows11
In fact the rw2 files are croppped to the size if the embeded jpg !!!

Please go ahead and send separate logs with GPU chosen, then with Auto chosen if that’s specifically when the crashes are occurring for you.

You can send logs by recreating the crash, then reopening the program and going to Help > Open log folder. Just grab the log from the time of the specific crash.