Topaz Photo AI v0.5

For some reason, I am only getting MINIMAL changes using Photo AI. As best I can tell, I am using the AutoPilot correctly. this is an ISO 12,800 image from a Sony a1 at 100%,. Any ideas why?

@anthony.lawn
@yazi.saradest

Uploaded an image that I am having problems with in PhotoAI and Gigapixel.
Tiles with color changes become visible.

Image Name: _F9I0731_DxO

1 Like

Win 11. AMD processor. PAI .5. Standalone. Using JPG image (drag & dropped in). Autopilot activated.

Autopilot/PAI is creating the same type of over-sharpening artifacts in water (see attached snips of preview and saved out .tiff) + I’ll send via Dropbox link) as it did in the grass of the previous test result I posted.

2 Likes

After processing several images using Photo AI v0.5, as a standalone program, I found a bug. Using Autopilot (face recovery and remove noise) this image…

Became this image, like an old TV with broken horizontal hold (at least that’s how it appears in Preview, Photos, and Lightroom on a Mac)…

No problem with the same original JPEG in DeNoise AI.

I don’t need it solved, just wanted to raise it as a bug.

Rob

2 Likes

Will give that a try and see if it works. I am also running the latest version of C1 22 pro.
UPDATE: It opened (Edit with) in Photo AI and the edited version was saved and seen in C1 22

1 Like

I opened the image from Photoshop as a smart object.

Did a really good job of Reducing noise. Much better that I have been previously able to do. I had to manually turn on sharpening. It correctly detected motion blur but set the value to 28. I need to increase it to 100 to obtain a result which satisfied me.

The bugger is that it took 11 minutes to process the entire image.

Congratulations! It will be a wonderful addition to my photo processing programs.

2 Likes

Hi Yazi, the image from the cycle race is a clients so I can’t send that and the other you already have as I sent it previously.

1 Like

Some types of grain the models don’t handle well, especially when there is not a lot of contrast/dynamic range and soft focus, like this pic appears to be. Manually changing the Remove Noise level and model can kick it into action, but the lack of detail/dynamics in the image gives poor results.

Did you apply any denoising from PS or any other software? If so, please try the original image without performing any editing beforehand. You may get a better result with the Strong Model inside the Remove Noise filter for this image.

getting some inconsistency with photo ai, some images direct from lightroom work fine, scan runs and everything works fine, but then i also have the scan runs says e.g image noise severe BUT then bottom left says No Filters Active, new to topaz so it could be me sorry…love the tool though

All my previous complaints are still in the 0.5 version and I won’t repeat them. Also, the slider bar should show a before and after on the photo. It can be hard to tell the difference.

1 Like

I have used Topaz from their beginning…cannot function without them…now, this is my go-to…period…this is fantastic…the only addition would be masking…looking at 0.5 looks like it won’t be long all-in-all…a game changer…Thanks

1 Like

Hi! Can you please send me the original image? You can send it through Dropbox. Thank you!

certainly already reported before, but zoom setting are not keep from one picture to an another one when in batch. if we set picture 1 to “fit”, and edit picture 2 and then go back to picture 1, the zoom has been reseted to 100%. a zoom default would be nice too (like “zoom to fit” as default or something else) in preference or something like that.

I agree with @Fotomaker on the sharpen feature, on almost all my pictures, i have to edit the sharpen to add an extra sharpening setting, default is all the time too light. if the detect give 28 or something i push it to 40 , sometimes 50. after it’s too strong , and it need sometimes some try.

but it’s a nice software for sure, reducing some works by one or two click when before, it was needed several software, so impatient to see what’s next update will bring :wink: !

2 Likes

Hi: I use Photoshop Elements for Mac. I downloaded Photo AI v0.5 but do not see a way to install the plug-in.

I currently have plug-ins installed and functional for Sharpen AI and Denoise AI. But Gigapixel AI has never had a plug-in option for Elements.

Is this coming??

This happens to me on about 20% of my images. Thanks for sharing your image.

1 Like

I wanted to give the PAI “robot” the chance to play with another AI robot’s content. A lot of folks seem to be getting interested in text to AI-generated image art. I was curious to see how PAI would deal with something of that ilk…

I used Craiyon to generate a quasi-photographic image in the style of Ansel Adams. I created a composite by selecting and moving in another (DALL-E mini) AI-generated woman (totally blurred face) running that I extracted from a simplistic style beach. I then added a face from a stock photo to the blurry stylized running woman.

PAI was able to denoise and sharpen the base image and (after I’d added the small, not very clear) face to the figure in the composite was able to detect the face on a 2nd pass.

I blurred/softened the image a bit after it was processed. Oh, and yes, I was able to add a Ps Sky Replacement to the image after all that noodling around.

Topaz AI was able to deal with another AI w/out getting jealous…
Fotomaker_PAIdot5_MultiAICompositeImage

1 Like

1st Impressions - Usability change suggestions. Using in standalone mode
Edited:

• For dual graphics processor systems an option to use both with load balancing. It may speed up the processing of images on computers/laptops that are in the low end of the preferred specifications.
  • Subject detection - Ability to create own mask when the subject is not detected and enable editing of the mask.
  • Perhaps add a strength slider to RAW Remove Noise
  • “Are the auto-detected filters accurate?” the :+1: :-1: don’t appear to do anything
  • Perhaps modify the Resize/Scale with a drop-drown select list of default scaling sizes but allow for a manual override entry.
  • In stand alone mode: when loading images, automatically run a pre-preview process that determines what the Autopilot settings will be.
  • When switching to an image don’t automatically process the preview (suggest add a Refresh preview button). This will also allow the resizing and composing of the image quickly without fighting the preview building process.
  • Ability to select Individual, some or all images to save
  • Add a DNG option
  • When saving in TIFF with LZW compression allow for 16-bit bit depth
2 Likes

Hey, in v0.5, I’m getting some strange results which are over softening fine details in portrait type photos. Tried to add sharpening and this the plugin in LR Classic output. Image 1 (left) is the CR2 raw reference image. Active image (right) is the Photo AI render:

2 Likes

I have a question, when I tried the photo AI, the images are dark, and when I outputted the same thing?

Not sure whats happening here
John

This s a Nikon ‘NEF’ file - I tried an Olympus ‘ORF’ file which was slightly dark and a JPG which was fine.

OK I did more tests, this only happens If I drag a file onto the stand alone editor, if I load from lightroom (edit in) it seems fine (I guess it’ll sort itself)

2 Likes