Topaz AI 3.1... faster but crashes/fails constantly on Windows 11

That one should suffice.

Did you also try an actual BIOS update?

Nah. I always output to ProRes 422 HQ. Who cares whether Windoze can read those? (As far as Win is concerned, TVAI is merely doing a ‘write file’ operation).

Define ‘cook’. As in to the point overheating, maybe?

EDIT: Also, be a bit more specific about what ‘crash Windows’ exactly entails. BSOD? Black screen? Spontaneous reset? Etc.

Updated BIOS, Firmware, Asus Tools… same problem… BSOD after a few minutes exporting ProRes LT (mov).

I’m using a ThermalTake TH240 Dual-Radiator liquid cooler for CPU cooling. Arctic MX-4 thermal paste.

Using CPUID HWMonitor (latest) to monitor the system.

CPU Package temperature during ProRes LT (mov) peaks at 90℃… averages around 74℃. H.265 (mov or mp4) peaks around 76℃. Stress testing the machine has shown it can handle these temps without issue. Also nothing in Event Viewer about Thermal Failure.

meimeiriver is just on another planet

“everything needs to be top shelf”…

Lol nooooo, it doesn’t. If you only made a piece of software for the absolute best machines, you wouldn’t sell…anything. I’d like to hear that statement come from someone @ Topaz officially, really…get someone to say that.

Having something that can run faster on better hardware is the target. His machine is probably better than 80% of the average TVAI users.

Now you’re telling him to update his BIOS? Are you serious? 3.1 is a good step towards speeding up TVAI, but they have some bugs to work out here, like it or not.

One thing you can try is installing something like MSI afterburner and downclocking/downvolting your GPU, you can undervolt the CPU and memory in UEFI.

Doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with your machine but in certain cases 3.1 likes to go apeshit on hardware. Putting some hardware contraints in can maybe keep it constrained.

I’m actually trying that now… I under-clocked the CPU in the BIOS to see if that makes a difference. Will also monitor temps. The Intel i9 12900KF is an unlocked CPU so I can change any parameters I want. I am an experienced (25yrs) system builder.

Also, is there any way to use “low power mode” in CLI? if not I recommend trying that in the GUI…definitely helped me

I actually use the GUI… no playback. Its a dedicated machine so nothing else is running except Topaz.

I tried the CLI once… same thing… Windows crash and reboot

OK well just hang on, it looks like meimeiriver is writing a reply to tell us how garbage our machines are…that’ll probably solve the problems

Um, bro, before you embarrass yourself any further, LOL, he said himself “Everything in this machine is top-shelf.”

Very serious. Unlike you, with a “Waaa, it needs to work because I want it to work!” attitude, you simply need to face the reality that TVAI is not to blame here, regardless of what beef you may have with Topaz.

Furthermore, we have established that his hardware is sufficient. And that TVAI does not crash on other, similar systems (like that of yours truly). Hence, the object is to look further. And a BIOS update can, and often does, certainly help with memory stability issues. Because something is making his Windows crash; and frankly, you’re not doing him any favors kicking Topaz all the time.

The OP might actually do a full Windows reinstall too – the kind that keeps all your documents and settings. Such as 22H2 did. And, like I said, it’s good to watch for unexpected overheating, undervolting, etc.

Also, on a personal not, ditch all the ASUS A.i tools. ASUS is the habit of overclocking pretty much everything out of box. That usually doesn’t help with long time stability.

Is this your way of telling me you actually agree with me? LOL. I’ve been talking about power draw, voltages, stress levels, etc, for ages in this thread. And yes, they are the first that need to be scrutinized.

And that, man-friend, shows why you have no business advising people on their systems. Because deciding that letting TVAI draw less power is the solution that ‘helped’ you, only demonstrates, well, 2 things actually: 1) that it really was an hardware matter in your case (your loud protestations despite), and 2) you’re going about these things the wrong way. If you need to run in reduced performance mode, in order to prevent your system from crashing, then you don’t call it the day, but start troubleshooting why that is the case. Aka, you start with not overclocking, doing a BIOS update, checking voltages, removing ASUS bloatware, resetting your CPU + GPU to stock values, etc. You know, all the tedious steps that take more effort than just gratuitously bash Topaz.

Nah I’m not embarrassed, why on earth would I be. You just admitted that you finally listened to what he was saying from the beginning and his machine is fine…but he still has problems? What could it be? Hmm…it’s definitely not the version of TVAI that just dropped yesterday with multiple posts of people having problems…definitely not that.

Again, just get somebody at Topaz to back you up and say “everything needs to be top shelf…or your machine will crash” and hey, conversation over

I have 0 beef with Topaz, and I like the product and I bet I’ve been using it longer than you. Sometimes they just release versions that have serious regressions. 3.0 is a perfect example for different reasons than 3.1. Now 3.1 brings back some performance at the cost of stabillity issues.

Good god no…can you comprehend what you are reading brother? I suggested He put the brakes on his hardware cuz TVAI is going schizophrenic on it. If there were a built in way to constrain TVAI’s resource usage other than “low power mode” I would have recommended that

Here is where your brain is fried up a bit. It is very doubtful that TVAI knows how much “power” it is using, I doubt it monitors power draw at all. a “low power mode” can only constrain SOFTWARE resource usage within the software to some degree to try to limit power usage.

Nothing to do with actual power usage. When 2.8 was the latest version I would run as many instances of the program I could until Afterburner reported constant 100% usage on both GPUs. That means it was pegged, nothing ever crashed because 2.8 managed available resources better…but the Power Draw was 100% of what the GPUs possibly could draw.

I get that you don’t quite understand how software works, I can’t fix that in a forum post…but I guarantee you there will be an update to 3.1 very shortly to address resource usage and when it happens I want you to explain why TVAI releases an update to fix something that is not TVAIs problem

And BTW my system is built and proven for stabillity, not absolute performance. I have newer GPUs in all of my other systems but the 2 1080ti’s are factory EK’d and the thermal interfaces are re-done every year…has way more cooling and way more Power supply than it would ever use even if it degraded. I guarantee that there is a memory issue with 3.1

What your own schizophrenic mind doesn’t seem to grasp, is that it’s not TVAI causing this on other people’s systems. :slight_smile:

And I would not at all have recommended him to find other ways to lower power consumption. Instead, I would tell him to put TVAI aside for the moment, and start troubleshooting his system first. Can it endure other stress tests? And for how long? If his system crashes under, say, CTTP too, then you know not to look at TVAI. Is it only TVAI crashing? Then check for things like video drivers, riva tuner (or ASUS equivalent); simply doing things step by step.

And I’m here to tell you, there’s no need for restraining resources on a good system. A properly set up system can endure the heaviest stress test – if not, you built it wrong.

Nothing to explain, bro. :slight_smile: Save to say I was actually delighted to finally see Topaz push our hardware a bit. For the love of all that’s Holy, I hope they don’t go back to where TVAI only draws resources/power at a dismal drip.

Well that settles it. No need for more longwinded responses from meimeiriver. dan.tepper, your PC is trash. Even though you’ve been building systems for 25 years as you say, the 2 day old version of TVAI is right, you are wrong.

Go fix your trash system and report back

He’s not wrong, YOU are. His system, as we’ve established already, is sufficient, and should be able to run TVAI just fine. But I’m perfectly okay with you just waiting for that version of TVAI that doesn’t crash his Windows. :joy: In the meantime, I hope he will take some basic troubleshooting steps, as waiting for that imaginary ‘no-crash’ version may be a long wait.

My last computer had an i9-9900KF in it. I could have that thing fully loaded for days with no issues, but it would blue screen randomly a few minutes after startup or a few hours after being idle. It might have something to do with dripping liquid metal on the board… Anyway, I just know I never found out why while I had it, and I really like that my new one doesn’t do that same thing. Everything else in my new computer is the same except the motherboard and the CPU.
Not long ago, I got a huge Western Digital Black drive. It was really fast, but would freeze pretty often. One of the programs I use quite a lot would fail to load files from that hard drive randomly.

Point being, hardware can be hard to troubleshoot, and it’s not always clear why it fails.

1 Like

IKR!? For the longest time I got an occasional BSOD. Looked it up, and WinDbg was sure the error was caused by the memory subsystem. I was almost ready to buy new memory; then a new BIOS came out, and, lo and behold, all issues were gone! But done at a level where software and hardware are nearly indistinguishable, as software (factory) misconfiguration in the BIOS (where it’s dealing with signals from the memory subsystem) are utterly outside the scope of the computer user: you’d have to be an electrical engineer at ASUS to even learn what they fixed. Point being, what was essentially a software error, masqueraded itself as a hardware error, with no real way of telling by the user.

Same with a third-party network driver once. It had set a defined condition (which was actually rather benign) that tells Windows to trigger a BSOD. Such shit can cost ages to find and solve.

Anything can have a hardware issue, no one disputes that but you didn’t mention anything about your issues only occurring after a resource demanding application just had a major update…he’s not the only person reporting issues.

It’s just funny that software bugs seem to be an alien concept on a software forum. There were obvious issues with 3.0 that caused it to not use hardware as well as 2.8 did…it was slower and nobody really disputes that. Now, in some cases 3.1 it is much faster…but it’s not even possible that they overdid or overlooked something.

No mention of memtest in here despite all the rambling and random advice?

Download and run memtest from a bootable USB. 1 pass should be enough.

I prefer the open-source memtest86+ but you can also just got with regular memtest:

https://www.memtest.org (open source)

or

MemTest86 - Download now! (closed source/paid - IMO just get the free version if you go with this)