Topaz Adjust adding noise

Recently I have been shooting night time images, after the past few outings, I have been processing the photos as I have in the past. Now it seems Topaz Adjust has what appears, to be adding noise not removing it, while the image looks fine within Adjust, when I click OK I have more noise in my photo than I did to start with.

First image within Adjust, second photo, source image, third after using Adjust

2 Likes

Very nice image you captured here. Well done.

Thanks, any idea where the additional noise is coming from?

Make sure Detail in Adjust is turned off- can cause over sharpening on some images.

1 Like

In that first and third image you have lot’s of glow on the horizon and over the top of the trees . That from over processing the highlights I believe .I’ve taken thousands of images of night time and what causes the noise can be several issues . If the camera is on a tripod turn off Image stabilization . Also in the camera settings do you have the noise reduction turned on or off . If it’s on turn it off and try some images , if it’s off turn it on and see if it makes a difference . What camera and lens are you using and what f/stop do you have it set at ? If you want a lighter night time image use a lens with aperture set at f/1.4-2.8 . Also there is a math scale which I don’t have for shooting horizons with stars to keep trailing to a minimum but I don’t have that at the moment but you can probably google it . Usually stacking several images will reduce noise better in night images but when stacking you have to choose one best image for being your top image to hide trailing .

@ronlhodges - thanks for the info – I’m sure that many folk will benefit from just those few sound tips