The Constant Rate Factor setting says the lower the better, would 1 make the video better?

Would upscaling a video with a Constant Rate Factor of 10 be better than a CRF of 17?

Where are you seeing a DPI setting?

I am sorry I meant Constant Rate Factor lol thank you for your response. I have no idea what this does but I want more quality. At 0,1 and 2 videos do not even play. So I have been toying with 10. Does it work the way I think it works?

The lower that number the higher the quality yes…or the higher the bitrate i should say. Depending on what you’re trying to play it on a super high bitrate may cause it to wig out.

What i do is run a crf of 7 or 0 then cut it down x265 with a different encoder like Staxrip or Handbrake. Ideally you’d want a finished crf somewhere between 14-22 …depending on how amazing you want it, what you’re playing it on…target size…yadda yadda yadda. There are soo many ways to do things one could encode for years and still not master it.

1 Like

They’ve missed something in VEAI though. 17 is about what blu-rays are set to. Yet on any number CRF, I see a lot of gray boxes where transitions to black should be. Because of that, I’ve just been using jpg output.

1 Like

Setting the CRF factor will make your video less lossy but will result in a bigger file.

Every time you pass the video through an editor or even VEAI, it is recompressed it doesn’t come out exactly as it went in.

A low CRF factor is recommended whilst editing, reediting or manipulating the file, it will reduce degradation. However, it is normal practice to do the final output in the more compact CRF range of 16-18.

2 Likes

Yes, it drains heavy, but not itself.

For instance adding 120 frm.pr.sec to keep it sweet, will work as synergy in driving you nuts, one frame pr. sec, and that’s in Benzedrine time.

1 Like
Do you prefer working with low CFR to get Better Results During Editing

0 voters