Suggestions for enhancing 8mm movies captured as mp4 files

I am trying video enhance 3.3.11 before I purchase. I have done a preview using using stabilization and enhance filters. Good results. I would appreciate any suggestions on any other settings I should try to improve quality. The source video is a professionally digitized 8mm movie saved as mp4 . The output will only be used to share the video with family and not any commercial or professional uses.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bob W

add a tiny bit of de-halo via Proteus or by using Artemis halo or if needed strong halo. maybe reduce the video pixel size to bring the pixel density closer to the detail density to help the a. i. processing it properly. :slight_smile:

Hello! digitized by professionals, in mp4? why is it not digitized in avi? an 8mm source in mp4 loses too much detail. :frowning:

what? avi is very old. :eyes:

yes but in avi it is lossless, my sd sources are in dv avi. if I had digitized in mpeg2 or mp4 it would turn towards 8000 kb/s, a dvd is 7000 kb/s whereas when you digitize in avi it’s 22000 kb/s :slight_smile: (13 go per hour) the it’s better to buy a firewire card if you don’t have a firewire port on the pc, and plug your camcorder into it and then digitize in dv avi. this is the best possible quality for our 8 mm cassettes

I see you are scanning the 8mm tapes yourself using I assume some very old cheap firewire capture device. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I used a firewire card with a camcorder :wink: it’s the best signal you can get, so the best quality in firewire, and it digitizes in dv avi. 13 GB per hour. apart from that there’s s-video, less good quality, and rca, even less good too and very limited in quality. if you have your 8mm movies in mp4, it’s not the optimal quality normally. what is the bitrate of your videos?

Strange. I remember that .avi often had very bad compression artifacts. Maybe .avi was just a container and it was the .dv codec that was lossless?

I think you have gone off on a totally different tangent here.

8mm to me is Reel film ie: Super 8 Super 16 which is what I believe the OP is asking about.

A basic scan of a Super 8 by a good company will net a 980 x 720 18p 4x3 standard framing mp4 file for the end user to watch.
Hence why you can’t understand the use of mp4 and seem soley focussed on bitrate and avi.

You appear to be talking about Video 8, Hi8 digital which is another kettle of fish.

of course, there are more artifacts when you digitize in lossless avi than in mp4, but there are all the details. when I digitized in, mp4 or in mpeg2 less artifacts but less details in the video since it is compressed, if you really want the lossless source file it’s in avi, I don’t know how it goes for the super8, I don’t know but my 8mm and hi8 cassettes are digitized via a digital 8 camcorder which reads the two formats and digitizes the two formats, in this case it depends on the models, you have to find a sony handycam tcr xxx. by digitizing in dv, you can’t choose mp4, it’s necessarily avi. for info my videos are at 22000/23000 kb/s, I have a 1h16 video which takes 16 go. I had no way to have a better quality than this avi file, via the firewire port, and everywhere on the forums, people recommend the firewire rather than the rca or the s-video of which we cannot have a lossless video.

but he didn’t say a super 8 film, he said an 8mm film, the base is an 8mm cassette he’s talking about, isn’t he? for the super8, I repeat that I know nothing about it