Sharpen AI v4.0

Which model did SharpenAI chose for the images that you used ?
I ask because I upgraded from 3.3.2 to 4.0.2 yesterday and did my normal testing
with the same set of images that I always use.
I found out that 2 (of 15) was suggested to be processed as Standard
(I used AUTO for Sharpen model and Model Parameters).
When Processed it took forever and I found out that it used the CPU no matter
how I set the AI processor. If set to AUTO it used CPU , set to GPU it used the CPU.
If I manually select any other model on the same image the GPU is used (in AUTO)
and the CPU util. is 2%

Windows 10, NVIDIA GTX 1650 , CPU Intel i7 9700K 8 core

I found out that when GPU is set as AI Processor, the Load on the CPU side is very high when using the Standard Model and low on the GPU side.

My preferences in Sharpen AI only show three options Auto, GPU and CPU. My GPU is an AMD Radeon RX5600 XT and CPU is a Ryzen 5 2600X (6 core/12 thread).

Neat Image allows you to choose whatever you want. You can select exactly what you want. But it also provides the Optimize Settings option to let it test things. You can use what it finds or not.

Best combination? How does it decide what the ā€œbestā€ combination is, I wonder? And looking at Sharpen AI and Denoise AI over the last year I have seen that Auto sometimes does not choose the ā€œbestā€ processor.

1 Like

Same here. Something is broken. Again.

Neat not TL software.

Updated reply from Topaz (same as initial reply, but with one added piece of information):

ā€œThis is expected behavior with JPEG files in v4.0 and higher of Sharpen AI. Our maximum JPEG output quality went from 100 to 95, which reduces the file size dramatically since itā€™s now able to compress slightly instead of blowing up the image size. Weā€™ve made this change to reduce the file size given that JPEGs still lose color information as itā€™s not lossless. The quality difference should be negligible but please let us know if youā€™re running into any issues with that. That said though, weā€™re going to revert back this change in the next version of Sharpen AI.ā€

So, good news that they are going to reverse the file size change back to what it was previously.

Have a good day.

2 Likes

Good news indeed. I hope same issue in DeNoise is fixed at the same time.

I donā€™t understand why not just let the user choose the jpeg quality from a 0-100 scale instead of arbitrary presets (low-medium-highā€¦)

2 Likes

I think baseloaded03 (Larry) addressed part of that in his post above. As to selecting from a variable value, that is up to Topza and devs (Iā€™m just a user).

Just renewed for Sharpen AI.
Downloaded and ran installer.
Opened Sharpen AI.
Get message that updates available and have to wait again for download surly the most updated version should be downloaded from the download site of Topaz?
Russ.

After updating Sharpen AI to V 4.0.2 the program started and immediately wanted to download a new model file for the standard model.

This is extremely slow, as if it was trying to process with the CPU, although GPU is selected. (not quicker with ā€œAutoā€ setting). All other models are working ok.

On M1 Mac runs well.

Iā€™m having the same problem. And my Mac is NOT an M1. Does anyone know of a solution? Iā€™d deleted the earlier version when asked to do so by the 4.0 setup, so I canā€™t go back and Iā€™ve got some images I need to process asap.

Why not download an older version from the relevant page?

I downloaded the additional models and added them to the program and itā€™s working fine now.

Sharpen AI was working fine on my brand new Imac 24. Having no problem with Denoise but all of a sudden I am getting a processing error with Sharpen and it locks up and wonā€™t load an image. I get the error saying if problem persists, switch to a different AI processor. Iā€™m using an Apple M1. There is no other processor. Iā€™ve tried uninstalling and updating the latest version but nada. Machine is running M1 and has the latest graphics processor from Apple.
Thoughts??? BTW, contact screen on Topaz website doesnā€™t work. FRUSTRATING!

The support page does work, including ā€œcontact usā€ link which brings a pop-up dialogue window.

Perhaps you have some pop-up blocker?

Ok, I havenā€™t upgraded for months, since last time I had very bad experience with new program of Topaz.
It was FULL OF bugs, like nobody tested it. This time, months later, I give it another try.

I check my system, 8,5GB free space.
I decide to install the new one.
After install I see I have just 2,5GB free space on system.

Install is complete and there is window ā€˜Start Topaz Sharpen AI now?ā€™
I press, OK/YES and get an error!! SIGH!!
I decide to do it in Photoshop. Still, nothing. Does not work!

I restart computer and try again. No, NOTHING!

Ok, I do uninstall and clean install. 30 minutes later, it is done.
Finally, install is complete and I press start - boom! ERROR!

Cmon!!! SIGH!!!

ā€œThe application was unable to starty correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application.ā€

I have no words!!! #"!)HDWQ!!!

VERY DISSAPOINTED!