Scottish Coal-Fired Puffer Boat on The Caledonian Canal

14 Likes

Nice …

1 Like

I like it!

1 Like

I happen to know a skipper from the Greenock area that does the Caledonian Canal as well. I thought you might be interested in perhaps some additional information about the vessel:

savethepuffer.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR3ms_v9X6Jjk41XEtKA5zgPK4pjOFagzcIozMTPPYoAKYQ_RlO23OQYY4Y

2 Likes

Thanks this answers the questions I had about it.

1 Like

Many thanks for this, Eleanore. I first became aware of the Puffers a few years ago when watching a documentary on Para Handy. It was a delight when we stumbled across VIC 32 on our way to the north of Scotland a couple of weeks ago. We’d stopped at Corpach to photograph the wreck there and the Puffer was locking through on its way to Neptune’s Ladder. We followed it and there was another coal-fired boat, the Glen Massan, an Irish fishing boat, that was locking up the Ladder. To complete the steam experience the Maiaig to Fort William steam train passed over the canal while we were there. Not bad for a largely unplanned stopover. [Actually, the Glen Massan might be diesel, not coal.]

Super work Ray …

1 Like

Para Handy!

1 Like

I was delighted to see your rendition… motivates me to pull my own images and rework them…when I asked my skipper friend if he knew the VIC32, the link was his reply… “She does cruises around the west coast of scotland. Nice wee boat. U see the plume’s of smoke well before u see the boat”.

1 Like

He’s not kidding about the smoke!

2 Likes

Beautiful image and processing!

2 Likes

Very nice shot and I learned a lot of interesting things

1 Like

love this processing

1 Like

@Mond’s TS1 or TS2 preset (BigCat?) is available in the shared DropBox - if my guess is right about the processing?

1 Like

I love the painting effect…and thanks for sharing this piece of maritime history.

1 Like

This is a very nice painted effect!

1 Like