Scanning Old Slides

Scanning really old slides (50+ years). Some are heavily degraded with massive red or blue color casts. Some are horribly underexposed. Some are color cast and underexposed.

Any examples out there that show how Topaz would do with this?

Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Scanning really old slides (50+ years).

I’m doing the same thing (slowly). The colour is OK on most of my slides so far apart from the ones I developed myself(!). My biggest problem is that lots of them are really dusty (that I can’t clean off) so I’m spending a great deal of time in Lightroom with the clone/heal brush.

1 Like

I was using Isopropyl (99.9%) to clean my slides … but the process made no noticeable difference worth justifying the extra effort. The heal brush in PS in combination with content aware has been the best bet so far. However, it’s a lot of work.

p.s. Found an online B&W to color tool: Colorize pictures: turn black and white photos to color with AI - Hotpot.ai Seems to do a reasonably decent job.

2 Likes

I’ve scanned a lot of old, faded and splotchy slides on my Epson V750. The Epson software that comes with the scanner has a setting - “Color Restoration” mode - that automatically does amazing things on those old slides.
I’ve been using Denoise and Sharpen on my scanned slides (Tiff files) and getting amazing results also. Denoise smoothes out splotchy skies and improves the overall look. Then Sharpen AI does what unsharp mask only begins to do.

I was also experimenting with some very old photos (50-100+ years). It seems that if the color is just too far gone for correction, you can bump up the contrast a bit then change to B&W. From there, do all the usual enhancements you would normally do, blow up the canvas larger than the size you plan to keep it at, change it to B&W again (The AI tools create tiny color artifacts), then colorize. Finally, use Giga to downscale to the size you want.

I second the hotpot tool suggested above, the process I described was actually in conjunction with that.