Retaining ALPHA channel transparency

Rendered a .mov video from After Effect with RGB plus Alpha channel transparency. Will the resulting Video AI rendered file retain the ALPHA transparency so that I can import that enhanced file back into After Effects to use in a 3D rendered video scene??

Unfortunately no, VEAI only exports RGB png or TIF even if your input is RGBA.

Damn, I was also searching for this option. My workflow for now is doing an upscale of each separately and then combining it again!

Is the option to export rgba sequences in the pipeline to be released in future updates? If so, it’d be an incredibly useful feature.

1 Like

I am running into the same issue. I went through and exported out of AE twice one with RGB, and one with alpha. Don’t change the frame rate, just up scale. It seems to work alight, I had to feather the edges when brought back into AE.

We were having the discussion about upgrading to 3.0, and alpha support ended up being the deciding factor.

1 Like

Hi, we are trying to add the software in our pipeline process but we found EXR is not saving alpha channels, is there any way to get them work? or is some feature you will add in the future?

@3doubles.produccione I’m not sure we fully support EXR files. Can you upload the file here so I can test it out.

Hey Tim thanks for answer so quick sure thing, thi is how it looks an example inside photoshop,

and this is how it looks after pass it trough the software, the alpha has missed

lgt_anim01.zip (2.1 MB)

I have been trying to modify your video-encoders.jason trying to get with the proper configuration but with no luck at all.

I wish you can help

Thanks so much :smiley:

Hey all, Alpha channel support would be great. One work around for those who need an alpha channel is to generate a black and white alpha matte from the footage that already has the alpha. You can do this easily in after effects with a white solid that is using your footage with an alpha as an “alpha matte”. Then just drop a black solid underneath. Export that and you should be able to run both passes through Topaz Video Ai. If the settings are the same, you should have a usable result.

I hope this helps

1 Like

To upscale with alpha channel, you need to use video with PNG video codec

we tried that and with fast motions the RGB and alpha pass don’t fit 100% together, resulting in weird alpha situations

Has this been solved in version 4?