"Remove" functionality generates random face/person

When using the “Remove” feature (which I realize is in Beta), Photo AI will sometimes replace a random face or person in the area being erased. I’ve noticed this generally occurs when removing a person or two from from a photo with other people in the frame that are NOT being removed. Is this expected behavior?

Beyond the fact that Photo AI is not just attempting to replicate background surroundings or simply blocking the area out with other artifacts, I’m curious as to how these people are generated? Are they simply AI representations built from other people in the photo? There are certainly some conspiracy theories that could arise around how these “people” are generated given the connected nature of how Photo AI downloads models real-time and allows us to upload sample photos when we choose to.

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Open a photo with multiple people in it
  2. Use the “Remove” feature to erase a person or persons from the image
  3. Observe Photo AIs results which frequently include a randomly-generated (hopefully AI) person where the original person was removed

Topaz Photo AI v2.3.2 on Windows 11

Hover over the Guidance drop-down and choose the correct mode. It is not a background removal tool and it will either infill or replace what you remove.

Thanks for your response. It doesn’t seem to be about choosing the correct mode. Either mode (“Erase Area” or “Keep Area”) generates similar results. My questions is why is Photo AI infilling/replacing the area removed with randomly generated people? And is that expected behavior?

I’m attaching some sample images to illustrate what I’m seeing. I’ve blocked (real) faces.

When the remove tool was used it adda bird that was not in the original photo![quote=“todd-0286, post:1, topic:64150, full:true”]
When using the “Remove” feature (which I realize is in Beta), Photo AI will sometimes replace a random face or person in the area being erased. I’ve noticed this generally occurs when removing a person or two from from a photo with other people in the frame that are NOT being removed. Is this expected behavior?

Beyond the fact that Photo AI is not just attempting to replicate background surroundings or simply blocking the area out with other artifacts, I’m curious as to how these people are generated? Are they simply AI representations built from other people in the photo? There are certainly some conspiracy theories that could arise around how these “people” are generated given the connected nature of how Photo AI downloads models real-time and allows us to upload sample photos when we choose to.

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Open a photo with multiple people in it
  2. Use the “Remove” feature to erase a person or persons from the image
  3. Observe Photo AIs results which frequently include a randomly-generated (hopefully AI) person where the original person was removed

Topaz Photo AI v2.3.2 on Windows 11
[/quote]

AI 2.4
When I used the remove tool for the background the program
Added a “bird” not in the original photo!

This is not expected behavior however, it sounds like you might want to lower the Strength of the Face Recovery to help with this issue. You can do so in the filter or through Preferences > Autopilot > Face Recovery